[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/, My school started a huge fund for projects that provide

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: solar-panels.jpg?t=1416860323.jpg (485KB, 810x486px) Image search: [Google]
solar-panels.jpg?t=1416860323.jpg
485KB, 810x486px
Hey /diy/,
My school started a huge fund for projects that provide a "more sustainable campus". Anyone have any ideas for the types of projects I could write up for a grant?
>>
>>1073049
Solar road ways that light up at night.
>>
>>1073049
Solar Roadways
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtkbioiQHmA

alternatively get some 500 F caps to stick in your ass.
>>
>>1073049
Just to be clear, are you asking for projects that will actually work, or effective covers for embezzling funds?
>>
>>1073090
Also might help to know where your school is located. Recycled water for landscaping makes sense in California, probably not so much somewhere that gets a ton of rain.
>>
>>1073090
>>1073092
Something that actually works that's semi-/diy/ related. I'm not the kind of dick who'd steal taxpayer funds.
I'm in Maryland
>>
>>1073113
You'll never make it in politics with that attitude, kid.

Living roofing.
Light colored traditional roofing.
Greywater landscaping irrigation.
Compostable cafeteria utensils, trays, etc.
Preferential parking/discounted parking for carpoolers.
E-waste recycling programs.
>>
>>1073113

You should start a study to measure energy usage itself via metering. Not just measuring the utility bills, but actually doing a study of what buildings are high occupancy, the facility use, how often people use energy/ or what buildings are high occupancy.

The reason being is before you start dumping all this money for the sake of energy savings, reducing energy usage, it's a great way to identify specific buildings or areas where projects may actually be worth it, and you have a sustainable, long term action plan.
>>
You could start a recycling company where you place containers all over the campus where girls can donate their old underwear so that it can be broken down and made into eco-friendly recycled fabric for use in making new garments.

Of course none of that would actually take place, it would all just get rounded up and added to my collection.

I'm envisioning old post office mailboxes with the words "PANTY DROP" spray painted on the front.
>>
>>1073113
>I'm in Maryland
a big fence that keep the niggers on their side of the campus, improving the quality of life for everyone else
>>
>>1073049
Bike lockers and maintanance facilities

Carpool priority parking and discount

Heat pump for administration building
>>
File: 1476819248719.jpg (36KB, 552x626px) Image search: [Google]
1476819248719.jpg
36KB, 552x626px
>>1073049
>>
>>1073171
this, take the time to properly assess your campuses specific needs
>>
>>1073049
-Solar panels on wasted roof space and parking lot space.
-Art-based VAWTs.
-Biomethane digestion for high-nitrogen fertilizer & biogas methane for making farm-used fertilizer, heat, and electricity using the campus sewer system.
-Live monitoring system to figure out campus energy needs and waste produced (maybe it can be redone to use less and make less.)
-Class placement according to what classes students need to get to next to reduce walking times.
>>
>>1073049
geothermal heat pump
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_heat_pump
>>
Definitely shipping container classrooms

No but really, just better windows and insulation

"sustainable" schools are like "sustainable" excavators, you're just looking for better efficiency, you're not going to make the huge ass energy demands go away

this buzzword is getting out of hand
>>
check
>>
File: 1473566096080.webm (1MB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1473566096080.webm
1MB, 640x640px
>>1073500
>you're not going to make the huge ass energy demands go away

That's easy. Ban electricity at schools. Use......books and slide rulers!!! :O

Then its all heating, cooking, and cooling that's needed for energy use which can be done using biomethane from the school's sewage.
>>
>>1073049
OP pay attention to my post

In my Middle School we had thing on the floor that when walked on generated electricity to make our school more sustainable. But these things in high traffic areas, tell people about them so theyll fuck around and jump on them and generate electricity for the campus. Literally one of the best ideas.
>>
>>1073500
Why not go one step further?
Pallet desks, pallet tables, pallet coffee etc.

How about just having better gardens, add compost bins for fertiliser and shit.
>>
>>1073049
Sup... Dawson College...?

There's a lot of boring, mundane things you can do. Put better or more insulation and double-glazed windows wherever you can. Better heating systems.

If you want something no one would deny, plant gardens on roofs of the school. Green spaces are, well, green, and all the soil and warm foliage will insulate stuff below it. It's also super goddamn pretty, and student unions will like having more loungey spaces for students (assuming the gardens are open to the public)

>>1073564
This should actually happen though. Not because sustainability, but because people just browse facebook in computer labs. No actual work goes on in classes that have computers installed to desks.
>>
>>1073113
You a terpfag? I sure hope not. I don't want my money going to that.
>>
>>1073876
Yes I am. And too bad, the money's already been allocated to that department.
>>
Why not propose a garden or a greenhouse. It's a lot cheaper than solar-whatever.
>>
>>1073994
These fuckers charge me differential tuition and then spend it on this.
>>
File: candles and flowerpots.jpg (107KB, 740x680px) Image search: [Google]
candles and flowerpots.jpg
107KB, 740x680px
you can replace all the heaters with candles and flower pots.
>>
>>1073049
Permaculture garden. I started the initiative at UMass Amherst when I was in school and it's ended up at the white House with an initiative. It's easy to do, gets support from stoner freshmen who wanna be closer to earth, and is easy to get money for bcuz it's so cheap

good luck boyo grant writing is my occupation
>>
>>1074049
WARNING
The wax in such setups can get so hot it can reach it's flash point and ignite.
>>
>>1073049
End affirmative action.
>>
>>1074106
>The wax in such setups can get so hot it can reach it's flash point and ignite.

Okay, sure, but...those are two 2" diameter candles. Even if the surface of both of them was burning, you could blow them both out with a lungful of air.
>>
File: 1476679511293.jpg (24KB, 500x479px) Image search: [Google]
1476679511293.jpg
24KB, 500x479px
>>1074049
Use those to heat your shipping container classrooms.
>>
>>1073049
Basic
Solar Power Lights
Energy Efficient Windows
LED Lights
Wind Energy Windmills
Solar Panels

Higher Up
Replace computers that are used for basic work with thin clients and move most stuff to a local cloud.

Replace anything that you can with energy efficient versions

Setup a basic recycling center for glass, plastic, paper, etc

Plant more fuckin trees

Replace dual monitor setup with a bigger monitor

If there are any CRT TVs/Monitors, get rid of them and replace with LCD

Have kids ride exercise bikes to charge their phones/tablets/laptops

Have outlets that are connect to solar panels and have the kids only use those outlets to charge their shit.
>>
>>1073171
Brilliant! Usage study is the foundation for all future projects AND you don't need to build shit, just plan, collect data, then present it usably.

Bonus, it's so valuable it should be ongoing as usage changes.
>>
>>1073500
>Definitely shipping container classrooms

Containers actually work rather well for such things if properly done, but are best for remote sites. What they are outstanding for is storage. I turned my college on to containers and they've bought two so far which they integrated into their structural welding facility.

If ya want to use a container, learn about them. Sea Box has a great site for industrial and military containers in which roles they are insanely nice.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.