[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking of getting into laser etching/cutting, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: LaserEtch.jpg (41KB, 450x207px) Image search: [Google]
LaserEtch.jpg
41KB, 450x207px
I'm thinking of getting into laser etching/cutting, but I have absolutely zero knowledge of the field. A few questions to get me started:

What am I looking for for price range (if I want to etch/engrave wood/aluminum)?
Are etching and engraving the same thing?
Are laser etchers often laser cutters as well or are these different things entirely?

Answers to these would be appreciated; anything else I should know about this would also be nice.
>>
>>1072351

OP: "Ill take "HOW DO I GOOGLE" for $400 Alex..."
>>
Laser etcher will not be a laser cutter but a laser cutter can be a laser etcher.

If you want to do it on a hobby level and you are satisfied with cutting useless stuff like cardboard and maybe thin plywood, it's not going to be that expensive (still a few $100). If you want to actually make a business out of it, be prepared to pay top dollar for something that can cut metals, I work at a laser cutting shop and most work is on stainless with a thickness of .7mm or more, for this we use a $500k machine. It will probably be cheaper today since the machine is from 2009 but still not goin to be cheap.
>>
>>1072415
Well shit. What if I just limit it to engraving metal? Would it still be capable of cutting through .5cm plywood or would I still need something heavier? I was thinking of making a small business from cutting plywood/acrylic and engraving wood/metal/acrylic.

Any (lower end/cheaper) brands you know of to be reputable so I can start looking from there?
>>
>>1072351
>)
If you are in Austin Texas, the ATX hackerspace has two big boy laser cutters.

In Marietta GA, The marietta Makerspace has one small-boy hack laser cutter.
>>
Hackerspaces are a wonderful place to cut your teeth on things like laser cutters or 3d printing. That said, a bunch of them fall into two categories:
a) They charge an arm and a leg for membership
b) They charge a low monthly membership fee, but build a "no commercial use" clause into their contract; they don't mind if you use their tools to make gifts or experiment, but they don't want you spending 8-10 hours a day there and monopolizing their enormous laser cutter/plasma cutter.

If you've never tried etching or cutting, take a class in a makerspace/hackerspace and use their equipment. It'll also give you a baseline for what you'll want to look for you spend a bunch of money on your own setup.
>>
>>1072664
>>1072548
I don't have one in my city, but I'll keep an eye out for them. Thanks for the advice.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.