[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/ not sure if this counts as "SFW" but...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

File: pic related.jpg (697KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
pic related.jpg
697KB, 1680x1050px
Hey /diy/ not sure if this counts as "SFW" but...

Does anyone know decent resources for learning lockpicking? Frankly, gf and I got our car locked in a national park for several hours past closing time because a simple Masterlock was placed on the gate by a simpler security guard after a rainstorm started. I'd rather not have that happen again, especially considering the geo-political upset that may arrive in America soon.

Any literature I should research? Is it worth it to order a kit off Amazon, since it probably doesn't matter what "lists" I'm on at this point?
>>
>>1072346
tutorials on uteeb, they good
>>
>National park closing for the winter.
Something smells fishy here.

Which park might I ask?
>>
>simple Masterlock

they don't get much simpler than masterlock, stare at it and it opens

look at Bosnian Bills videos on youtube
>>
>>1072346
Google is your friend
>>
File: 2016-04-19 11.36.25.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-19 11.36.25.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>1072373

Technically a state park. Look up Wakodahatchee Wetlands. Parking lot is "guarded" by one dude who locks a metal barrier when park closes. Apparently some light rain is enough to make him ignore the "check for guests before closing" part of his job.

Pic related, very photogenic wildlife from previous trips.
>>
File: image.jpg (25KB, 200x196px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25KB, 200x196px
>>1072380

Yes because "how to lockpick" would be a wonderful thing to add to my logged search history.

Specific videos and guides make me feel a little better about it.
>>
>>1072383
You know, Google already knows you made this thread. This thread can be found from /diy/'s archive, too.
>>
>>1072346
>especially considering the geo-political upset that may arrive in America soon

Upset not happening, but instead of literature I suggest buying a decent cordless angle grinder and some cutting wheels. It's faster and more reliable than picking and if you don't want to fuck up a lock you can slice the nearest or other chain link instead. Been there, done that when I lost my keys. An angle grinder is a wonderful thing for any DIYer. They cut, polish, grind, brush, fuck and do housework. Just owning one will improve your outlook on life.

Alternate option is an inverter which plugs into your cigarette lighter and an extension cord to run a corded grinder. That's also wonderful to have and your inverter can power 110volt shit like notebooks off your car during a power outage or similar.
>>
>>1072383
>Yes because "how to lockpick" would be a wonderful thing to add to my logged search history.

Just fucking browse incognito from a public wifi and spoof you MAC address while running from a live USB or a live .iso image of something like Knoppix in a VM.

Also remember your greatest security is YOU DON'T MATTER. If SHTF you REALLY don't matter. I don't matter and intend to keep it that way.
>>
File: image.jpg (307KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
307KB, 1600x900px
>>1072395

If I didn't actually know those terms, I'd think that statement was a joke.

My goal is to learn a practical (albeit legally ambiguous) skill that will keep my ego from being bruised by stubborn locks in the future. Like you said, I doubt I'm raising any more red flags than the average /k/ or /pol/ user.

It's easier to have some "expert" recommendations for starting points rather than fumbling down a web search.
>>
File: image.jpg (698KB, 1151x1579px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
698KB, 1151x1579px
>>1072394
>>1072377

Thanks for tips, I'll check them out. Never considered the power grinder option, sounds inelegant but effective. I like the utility though, definitlely have bought fancier tools for lesser reasons...
>>
>>1072382
Ok, state park and national park are two VERY different things

When a national park "closes" it normally just means no rangers are present, but anyone can still get in and out
>>
File: 2016-06-15 20.19.41.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-15 20.19.41.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>1072407

After looking it up, I'm not even sure it counts as a state park. It's owned by the local Water Utilities Department and was originally meant to be a outlet for reintroducing treated water into the ecosystem. By sheer coincidence, it started being used as a rookery by egrets and storks, so they added a boardwalk and turned it into a "park" of sorts.

Either way, it closes at sunset and I have been locked in before. It sucked.
>>
Bolt cutters will do you a bit better in a civil unrest situation. Lockpicking is slow. The only reasons you'd need to pick a lock are
>You're a locksmith
>You're trying to get into something you don't have permission to, have a decent amount of time, and don't want someone to be aware anybody was in there.
There is, of course, the puzzle aspect of lockpicking, but that's not necessity.

For cars, I've heard dent pullers with nickel plated screws work pretty fast, but there's little reason to break into a car via the locking mechanism vs just breaking a window.
>>
Master locks are super easy to pick, you can get a simple torque wrench and a simple angled pic, and within a day or so you'll have a feel for them.

I've been fascinated with locks and picking for many years now, and as you get a better feel for pins and tension, only high security locks (ones that cost more than 10 - 20 bucks) propose any challenge.

I can pick just about any master lock, via raking, in about 5 - 20 seconds. I can pick ANY master lock in under 5min.

My wife even got into lock picking this last year, and within 2 weeks, she was able to pick every lock we have in the house (with the exception of the Abus & American Locks, even I stumble on those sometimes. False pins / security pins take a tremendous touch / feel to work around. That only come with experience and time.

What I tell anyone who asks, if you can play video games / type, you can learn to pick / rake master locks, and thu will be able to bypass almost every lock you need to. Only high security locks will cause a challenge, and only expect to tackle those if you are willing to dedicate time.

Great guides are the MIT locking guide, and another PDF I forget the name of. Also, if you can find a trade manual from the 50s - 80s on locks those too are amazing resources.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.