[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I 3D printed a V4 compressed air engine of my own design that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 1451544682402.jpg (21KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
1451544682402.jpg
21KB, 604x453px
I 3D printed a V4 compressed air engine of my own design that runs on breath power (1" bore x a little over 1" stroke to give you a sense of scale). It runs fine but I've noticed I'm losing a lot of air to blow-by around the pistons into the crankcase area. Currently the crankcase is just open - imagine an engine without an oil pan. How can I reuse this air?

I tried rings but they just added way too much friction and the engine wouldn't run. I've thought about maybe adding an "oilpan" with a fitting that connects it to the intake air, so as to reuse it. But then the air pressure in the crankcase would be equal to that in the intake and the pistons wouldn't move.

Maybe I could use it to drive a turbocharger? I wouldn't think the air pressure would be enough to generate any appreciable pressure out of the impeller though. Blow on your hand as hard as you can. About half of that is what I feel blowing past the pistons at mid-RPM.

What if I made my piston tops concave? Would I at least get more efficiency with the same idea as a hemi head?
>>
File: 20161017_191240.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161017_191240.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Here's a simplified drawing of what I have. It's actually 4 cylinders in a V configuration with 180° crank angles, but you get the idea.
>>
File: 20161017_191617.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161017_191617.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
What if I did something similar to a carburetor, minus the venturi?
>>
>>1072117
better tolerances, polished surfaces, maybe make the rings out of some other plastic with less friction.
>>
If you seal or restrict the crankcase pressure in any way, the input will require more pressure to overcome the backpressure.

>>1072195
>better tolerances, polished surfaces
THIS
>>
>>1072195
>better tolerances, polished surfaces
and a drop of light oil
>>
>>1072221
Gun lube is working well for oil. I can't think of any way to polish the plastic. Currently file-fitting everything works well enough. The main problem seems to be that the layers of opposing surfaces try to interlock, even after filing them flat.

Could I rub them with wax to fill the small gaps? Or would the wax just rub out?
>>
>>1072226
work through sandpaper grits, then felt wheel on a rotary tool with some polishing compound
>>
>>1072226
>>1072229
Fill the gaps with a thin 2-part epoxy first.
>>
Could you add a water trap like hookahs? Water would lubricate rhe piston and it would filter the air back into rhe system
>>
>>1072226
you will have to print them over sized and with more perimeter layers

if you use ABS you can smooth them with acteone and that will make a super smooth slick surface as well as remove any ribbing on the part
>>
>>1072117
Teflon tape along the piston until the friction gets too big and the amount of air too small
>>
>>1072117
How the fuck would a turbo help a compressed air engine?
How would you build it anyway if your tolerance is so poor making a piston fit a bore I think you should stay clear of impellers
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.