[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My microwave stopped working about a third of the way through

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20161016_205533.jpg (277KB, 1000x810px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161016_205533.jpg
277KB, 1000x810px
My microwave stopped working about a third of the way through heating my dinner, so amid much cursing and cold chicken and rice, I took it apart and found this.

I'm going to replace it but want to know why the inductor would get hot enough to burn out like that. Just shit build quality? The microwave is only a few years old at most.

Frigidaire Gallery, if anyone's curious.
>>
File: IMG_20161016_205733.jpg (262KB, 758x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161016_205733.jpg
262KB, 758x1000px
Here's the top side. It's not really visible in the picture, but the ends of the copper wire are black (probably just the coating), but there's no other damage. The fuse is good.
>>
scrape the burned shit with alcohol, expose some copper on the trace and solder that shit good, if it works your good, if it burns again the problem might rely on something down the line (after that board)
gl
>>
>the inductor would get hot enough to burn out like that
oh and btw, the inductor probably didnt burn the trace, it vibrated enough to break the solder/trace until there was so little contact area that the trace/solder left began to overheat from the amps going through it until it couldnt take no more
>my 2c
>>
>>1071658
I might try using some of that white glue/thermal compound on the posts to keep it from moving in the future.
>>
>>1071645
looks like an input filter to the microwave

all the power passes through that point - no wonder it scorched at the bad joint
>>
>>1071661
>glue/thermal compound

Forget thermal compound.

Some silicon on top of the board may help.

Clean up the under side and solder the thing up with some good leaded solder. Some copper wire to bridge the burnt out areas will help too.
>>
>>1071645
Bad solder joint, clean it up and resolder and it should be fine
>>
>>1071645
Forget to take out the spork before you threw it in there?

And I wouldn't just resolder it, you better replace whatever that 4-pin is.
>>
>>1071645
>why the inductor would get hot enough to burn out like that

>>1071677
>Bad solder joint

This
'cold' solder joint leaves a hairline crack around part
current flow through part and movement of part cause arcing
arcing heats solder and part and solder falls out causing failure

Clean up and re-solder.
>>
>>1071645
Just remove the old solder apply some fresh lead-based solder, its called a cold solder joint and happens because the greenists forced everyone to use lead free solder.

But this has created more problems because lead free is shit and sometimes doesn't flow correctly during assembly. The result is what you have now, most people would have tossed it out in the garbage creating move waste.

tl;dr re-flow the solder joints and it will work once more.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.