[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I was just wondering if you guys have any tips on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if you guys have any tips on drilling straight holes I use all drills ranging from 100mm hss to 1200mm masonry.

I'm a second year apprentice chippy and this is the one thing I am struggling with. The only way for me to tell if it is straight is to sort of take a step back and look at it from a far but all the other tradies just seem to know is this experience or am I missing something?
>>
>>1070914
I've often considered gluing a small bubble level to the back of my drill. Never actually do it, though.
>>
Do non-Americans measure their drill bits by length instead of diameter? Because you better have a gargantuan drill for a 1200mm bit.
>>
>>1070929
masonry drills are measured length first then diameter.
>>
>>1070917
You'll have to make sure the bubble level is true 90ยบ perpendicular to the chuck. That's harder than it looks.
>>
>>1070914
I use one of these set to 90 degrees for woodworking in the shop.

There are lots of other options, google "drill guide".
>>
File: drill guide.jpg (34KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
drill guide.jpg
34KB, 500x500px
>>1070965
Oops, forgot pic.
Also 1200 mm still seems damn long for a masonry bit?
>>
>>1070929

No but I thought the length was more crucial to the subject than the diameter.

>>1070965

Not really an option for 90% of
onsite work.

>>1070967

Last couple of retaining walls we did we had to drill our starter bars down into the rock then secure them in place using non shrink grout.
>>
>>1070914
Get your eye in. Source: I'm a qualified chippy and a builder.
>>
>>1070987
> length more crucial than diameter

You don't understand what torque is do you?
>>
>>1070917
My 60 dollar ryobi has one built in
>>
File: IMG_20161015_230829.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161015_230829.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
1- hole drilled on a drill press
2 - perfectly sqare pece of material.
Placing bit in the pre drilled hole should get the chuck lined up
Phone is dumb and turned the pic
>>
>>1070987

Not really. A 1/4" concrete bit is going to be a lot easier to drill a hole with than a 1" bit
>>
>>1070914
>tips on drilling straight holes
>second year apprentice

if you cannot drill a relatively straight hole after at least a year, maybe you should choose a different profession
>>
>>1070914
Even with a bent bit the hole will still be 'straight'. Perhaps you mean something else, the hole isn't perpendicular? Square to the work?

Make sure your eye is level to where you want the hole, have a look at your drill and get comfortable with the drilling 'axis' through front to back, you should know where the drill line is from just looking at the back of it. Get to know what parts are square to the drill axis and which aren't, use these to square the drill.
Get some practice, some 2x4 on a bench and go at it. Horizontal might be easier than vertical to start with.
Piloting might make it easier too.

>>1070934
This is absolute tripe.
'i need a hole, doesn't matter what size as long as its x deep'
Sounds pretty fucking stupid.
>>
>>1070967

That's so harbor freight

>>1070914

Most chippys on site quickly get bored of accuracy so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've seen some proper shit on site in the past ha.

But seriously, you'll be able to eye a straight line in time and you will be able to drill straight holes with it. Also if you have access to a pillar drill make yourself a block to start your holes square to whatever it is you're drilling.
>>
>>1070929
you can fit a core drill on a front end loader, but supporting it with a gantry is more common.
>>
>>1071624
<3 hydraulics
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.