[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How in the hell was this cable ran behind the drywall? Old work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

File: IMAG0061.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0061.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
How in the hell was this cable ran behind the drywall? Old work box so must have gone in after drywall installation. Vaulted ceilings so no crawl space. Not only that, but there is a huge brick fireplace in the middle of the run! I was certain that whoever had installed it ran it outside and hidden it behind the exterior vinyl siding but when I pulled it off today I found that was not the case. I'm trying to do an in wall surround speaker installation if anyone cares.
>>
File: Cable-Bit_700.jpg (38KB, 700x300px) Image search: [Google]
Cable-Bit_700.jpg
38KB, 700x300px
>>1068855
>>
File: IMAG0062.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0062.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>1068863
Run goes over 20 feet. Here's a shot of the whole set up. Inputs on bottom left. I'm 90% sure it doesn't run outside. Pulling out the slack I can tell it runs to the side behind the drywall for at least a bit. If it was ran outside wouldn't it pull straight out?
>>
WIZARDS.
>>
>>1068865
he was probably a good drywaller and could patch his pull holes.
>>
>>1068872
>Electrician
>Good at anything other than making a mess

Yeah right.
>>
>>1068869
OK kid.

I'm new to this shit but managed running CAT-6 from the "office" to the living room and bedrooms through the crawl space to terminate in keystone jacks. This fucking vaulted ceiling has me stumped though. I would go outside but the house is a rental and the landlord doesn't want me to.

Would it be feasible to attach a fish tape to the existing termination, pull it back to the ingress, then use that to run new a higher gauge double run? I was thinking to replace the "in" spring clamps with 5-way posts and have them both output at the top right. The left would be unused.
>>
File: IMAG0063.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0063.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>1068880
Having both channels output to that existing hole (top left of pic related, same as OP) then just a couple short runs along that shelf to where I have the surrounds located.

I had nothing to do with that shitty, warped, crooked ass shelf by the way. Just working with what I got.
>>
>>1068865
good lordy you have bad taste
>>
>>1068877
>Instantly discounting EVERY electrician who has ever lived.

ISHYGDDT
>>
>>1068865
Wow look at all that stuff from the dollar store you're keeping on display. It's like a hick museum.
>>
>>1068967
>>1069013
It looks a little weird to me, OP probably lives with a girl of some kind
>>
>>1068877
I luld

They're also good at drinking coffee while talking about the best way to do what they should already be doing, then deciding the original plan was the best.
>>
Is there a floor above with carpet?
>>
>>1068855
>Old work box so must have gone in after drywall

Nah.
That's a low voltage ring not a box. Stereo guys and low voltage installers use them. Looks like a pre-wire to me. Tug on the wire, I bet it's stapled.
>>
Damn this board slow as fuck. I posted this shit three days ago. Left it when the discussion turned to my wife's choice of Halloween decor. Imagine my surprise to return to a live thread with a couple decent replies.

>>1069135
Very perceptive. You see, the female our species has an irrational urge to "decorate" based on local holidays and traditions. Maybe someday, if your lucky, you'll find a femanon like I did to have regular sex with and perhaps even procreate.

>>1069849
No there is not. Single level with vaulted ceiling in the living room only.

>>1069865
Maybe, we'll see. I know I've seen the same box used in remodels before. Here in a couple days I'm gonna buy some twine and try to pull a new wire. The shit in there isn't even CL2 rated, just plain speaker wire so it should probably be removed anyways.
>>
>>1068880
>the house is a rental
>>1070430
>just plain speaker wire so it should probably be removed anyways.

Not your decision.
>>
File: ferret_1607795c.jpg (28KB, 460x288px) Image search: [Google]
ferret_1607795c.jpg
28KB, 460x288px
>>1068855
>>
i dont post often, but when i do, OP is a faggot
>>
>>1070430

>this board is slow.

Obviously you have never been to /n/

They have a 500 day old thread based on a freight company that fell through in the 80's
>>
File: n-in a nutshell.jpg (176KB, 1239x523px) Image search: [Google]
n-in a nutshell.jpg
176KB, 1239x523px
>>1070605

It is finally autosaging.
>>
>>1068880
Why not tape a long length of cable to the current cable on the top and pull it from the bottom where the inputs are. It SHOULD follow the exact same path the previous cable was in.
>>
>>1070638
It's usually stapled, or it should be.

Strip jacket and use linemans splice on wires and put a thin layer of tape to taper from one wire to the other So it doesn't snag.
>>
>>1070638
it's stapled to something, your life is fucked. run it externally to the corner, down and then along the baseboards. you'll never notice it.
>>
>>1070463
Owner is cool as long as I don't add holes or fuck shit up royally. She even told me I could replace all of them with blank plates if I wanted. She doesn't think they even work. I'm in the middle of a 100+ hour, nine day work week right now so I haven't had time to mess with it since my OP. At this point even I don't know if they work.

>>1070638
>>1070653
Yeah, I'll be trying to do pretty much exactly this. But if it is stapled as >>1070653 and >>1070807 suggest I'll figure it out pretty quick and just run it along the baseboard. Getting around the fireplace will be a bitch; I've been looking at adhesive raceways but they expensive as fuck for what you get in most packs. Anybody got sauce on them at reasonable prices in burgerstan?
>>
>>1068855
>must have gone in after drywall installation
No chance it was pre-wired? Not that they don't exist but I've never seen a metal low voltage ring that wasn't part of a pre-wire. The ones cut-in after the fact are usually plastic and have little wings that tighten down behind the wall (pic related).

>Pulling out the slack I can tell it runs to the side behind the drywall for at least a bit.
If it was pre-wired it'd could be nailed/stapled to the nearest stud in that direction. It could even keep going, drilled/slotted through the next few studs, before changing direction.

>If it was ran outside wouldn't it pull straight out?
Not necessarily. It could be secured or hung up on a number of things. Presuming that is an exterior wall (given the fireplace) - is there vinyl siding/soffit on the outside of the wall? In places without attic or crawspace access sometimes the easiest route is to run outdoor-rated wire down the soffit or behind siding to a location. That's usually limited to outdoor equipment (CCTV, outdoor audio, etc) but also when a customer absolutely can't stand the idea of Wiremold or Nice Duc running along their walls.

>She doesn't think they even work.
>even I don't know if they work
Cheap multimeter can answer that quick enough. Disconnect the wires from whatever they're going to (Home theater amp I presume), strip and twist together the ends at the LV Ring, set meter to tone and check at the opposite ends. "BEEEEEEEEEEEP"? Good, you got continuity. Untwist the ends and check again. No "beep"? Good, the wire isn't crushed. If it doesn't tone while twisted the wire is broken somewhere, and if it tones while untwisted it's crushed together somewhere.

>looking at adhesive raceways but they expensive as fuck
Yeah, Nice-Duc will run about $20 for 25' in 5' lengths before shipping. Unfortunately most places that'll sell it to you won't even quote a price without an account as they're usually security products resellers.
>>
File: low_voltage_ring.jpg (9KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
low_voltage_ring.jpg
9KB, 400x400px
>>1070874
>pic related
Helps to attach it, eh?
>>
>>1068865
I did that shit with a hanger.

Every two feet there should be a small hole leading up to the end of the wire.
Use a hooked hanger (pulled into a fuckin' ugly ass rod) to pull it from the last hole and towards the next hole then hook it from that hole to the next and so-on.
After that, fill holes/ paint the whole ceiling.
>>
File: sk3370_sm[1].jpg (11KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
sk3370_sm[1].jpg
11KB, 350x350px
I keep pic related in my van to locate/trace un-energized wires.
>>
Is there a crawlspace under this floor?

I've run speaker wire under the floor before
>>
>>1068855
>How in the hell was this cable ran behind the drywall?

"Impossible wiring" is often wired in after framing, before the walls are finished. They could have had that whole wall open when installing/replacing the windows, for example, if it wasn't done during original construction. Or maybe the ceiling was opened up for work. That shit sponge texture covers a lot of flaws.

Otherwise it involves one of those >>1068863
bits and often knocking access holes by the floors and ceilings where you need to drill, then patching holes. It can get messy blinding fishing shit through finished walls. Especially exterior ones like that. Fishing through insulation is a goddamn nightmare.

If you can't go up, can you go down? If you have access to a crawlspace you might be able to drop the lines down and bring them back up from underneath.

Not sure why you're bothering in a rental, though. Just run wire along the corners. Either tack it up or run it through corner conduit. Paint it if you really need to conceal it, though I don't think a run of wire down a corner is going to cramp your "style."

>Old work box so must have gone in after drywall installation.

Possibly, but not necessarily true. The Mexican day-labor that builds your shitty properties use whatever random crap they have in their toolboxes. I just had a job a few months ago cleaning up some other monkey's mess in multi-million dollar business construction where they used old-work boxes on new construction. I can only assume there was a sale at Lowes, so they use whatever was cheaper. If they can save a dime a box (and the labor of actually installing it) they'll do it.
>>
>>1070874
Checking for continuity as this person said would be a perfect way to do it, especially for checking crushed wires. If you don't have a tone tester then this is the next best thing. It's actually the best thing. Tricks of the trade.
>>
>>1071088
If you have a toner, short the wires together. If they are continuous the tone will die. If they are not, the tone will stay strong.
>>
>>1070874
>>1071072
>>1071088
>>1071109
Appreciate all the insight. I might get some time to work on it tomorrow evening. If this thread is still alive I'll post an update.

Not like anyone really gives a fuck.
>>
>>1071229
Clearly people do give a fuck, don't be such a Negative Nancy.
>>
>>1068855
Are you positive there's no crawl/attic space? A lot of vaulted ceilings don't follow roof pitch. Like my roof is a 7/12 and my vaulted ceiling is a 3/12.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.