[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Evening /diy/ I need some suggestions... My condominium has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 20161009_001203[1].jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161009_001203[1].jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Evening /diy/ I need some suggestions...

My condominium has tall windows with single-pane glass that, even though I own the condo and everything within it, I cannot alter.

To put it short, I hear just about anything and everything on the street below, and it's bad. Any asshole man-child on a crotch rocket that rides by, any drunk POS yelling on the street below, the air conditioner unit on a building nearby that's gone bad and no one seems to want to fix, I hear it all.

I am desperate to find a way to deafen the noise in this place so that I can finally sleep an entire 8 hours for once. I don't need to be able to open the windows since I can use the AC relatively cheaply, but I want to be able to use the blinds.

So far the only solution that I have come up with is Indows, which are basically just acrylic sheets that are secured in the sash and can also help with any drafts I might have, and that sit behind the blinds. The problem is I don't really have an idea what those will cost given the sizes of each sash.

Would this be something I could make myself with the same outcome? I have access to 8' sheets of .125"(.118) thick acrylic and a half a million dollar CNC router that I can program. I just don't know what I would use for the edges to seal them as best as possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this? Should I just buy the Indows?? More pics incoming.
>>
File: 20161009_001232.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161009_001232.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>
File: 20161009_001239.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161009_001239.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>
File: 20161009_001256.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161009_001256.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>
So can air leak through around the windows, or are they well sealed? I'm assuming you don't have double glazing.
>>
>>1067891
I haven't really tried to find out air comes through but I think its a safe bet that they are not well sealed.

I don't really know what double glazing means but probably not.
>>
There are uv/ir blocking films that are almost transparent, and static cling in case anyone bitches.

Something I used to see at doctors waiting rooms: There was a piece of plexiglass cut and mounted that only allowed access to the string and/or rods at the top.
you might have to make your own U Joint to control tilt of blinds by existing rod, but otherwise you just have to notch those 2 top corners to seal it but still use blinds.

If you don't plan on using a particular window's blinds, seal it with white acrylic on your side of the blinds.

Don't forget the curtains that reflect/block heat/light.

also, whether you use acrylic or even plastic films/ tarps, you can go the route of making a rectangle frame, felt around outside, friction fit into window frame and just mount the shit to that removable frame.

For looks, you can always put cheap painting on your side of the blinds, as if it was just on the wall.
>>
>>1067897
Double glazing is a form of insulation whereby windows have 2 panes with an isolated gap in between, like a thermos. They are good for blocking heat transmission and sound. I'd first open and close your windows a few times and see if they don't fit well when closing, and if the gaps are small enough you could put some wooden shims in with rubber or fabric sheet around them. Silicone them in place and hope they seal well. I'm not sure how well acrilic will insulate against sound, but another layer is always a good idea, just make sure the panel will fit snugly if you do go that route.
>>
>>1067900
what I was thinking of doing was having any plexiglass mounted underneath the entire blind assembly itself. in the 2nd and 3rd picture, you can see there in a considerable amount of space between the glass and the blind that I think could be used pretty effectively.
>>
>>1067903
The windows are all single-pane like I said in the OP.

Its looking like I will have to come up with something similar to Indows.
>>
>>1067904
Reason I was suggesting your side of blinds was to avoid anyone noticing a difference in your windows from the street if possible. but if you can mount them closer to the glass, it will do a lil better. But the closer to the glass, the less air gap you have to slow conduction of heat.

Some of the films are hardly noticeable, but reflect a great amount of light.

Don't remember whether it was only windows, or if film did it too, but were stories about reflective windows causing the neighbors plastic siding to melt from the reflected sunlight in some cases. That tells how efficient they are.

There are also films that look like blinds from the outside and are more opaque.

Idea I've had and been unable to try is to print out posters that look exactly like my blinds from the outside, shadows and all, where I could completely cover them with foam posterboard on the inside. If you have the skills, you might be able to pull that off.
>>
>>1067906
oh im not worried about the outward appearance at all really lol but thanks for considering that in your suggestions.

as for films, I think I am going to go with acrylic panels between the glass and the blinds similar to the Indows that I was looking at. I just have to figure out how to seal them once i cut them out on the CNC. honestly I might just buy the Indows to save time cuz I need my sleep haha
>>
hang thick blankets over the window
>>
>>1067914
This. You'd be surprised just how much you can attenuate sound with something like insulated curtains or blankets.
>>
>>1067891
>double glazing
>>1067869
>single-pane
>>
Break them. Claim it was an accident, then you can install good ones.
>>
>>1068371
An if glass kills someone below I go to jail is get nice thick 4" wide windows to look out of?
>>
>>1067869
make an interior 'storm' window. basically a frame with glass that fits into the existing window frame from the inside. I have these in my house and not only does it help some with blocking out some cold it also helps with blocking some sound - plus you can still look out the window and have light come in. and they are removable for cleaning etc.
>>
>>1068837
You can throw the rock from outside, anon, and you'd PROBABLY be the only one around, assuming you don't want to get caught.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.