[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a way to remove 5 layers of paint without disturbing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (839KB, 2168x2997px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
839KB, 2168x2997px
Is there a way to remove 5 layers of paint without disturbing the original baked enamel? Now that I've removed the nameplate I have a better picture to provide context to my question
>>
Really would depend on what kind of paint you're removing. If latex then peeling and scrapping with a plastic scraper would work. If oil based you could try solvents and heat.
>>
>>1067705
paint stripper will not effect enamel, enamel is baked on glass.
>>
>>1067705
dat rust. Dem bubbles-o-doom

Paint might be the only thing holding that together.
>>
>>1067708
The pink layer is latex. The other layers are oil. The original white is glossy on metal, from the 50s or 60s
>>1067742
I don't mind the rust edge, that will be hidden under the name plate but if I can get all the paint off down to the first layer I can seal and repaint
>>
Do they make plastic scrapers for the oscillating multi-tools? The floppy metal scrapers would go through with no problems, but you could cut into the metal real easy.
Maybe attach a sturdy plastic scraper to a cheap or old blade for it.

There are also scraper attachments for reciprocating saws.
>>
steam and or a heat gun/iron
>>
>>1067832
>>1067831
Good idea. the latex layer will be easy, but not sure about the 3 layers of enamel underneath. pretty sure they are lead too.

if you say I can use paint stripper and not fuck up the base coat then I'll do it
>>
>>1068493
Put a little on the space under the nameplate first to make sure it doesn't stain
>>
>>1067705
that's not enamel, boyo
>>
>>1069194
My bad I'm not good with paint-on-metal. What is it? Should I not bother with chemical stripper?
>>
What is that on?

Scrape off ridges
Fill low area with bondo or something similar
Sand smooth
Primer
New coat of paint

No need to take the old paint off if you just want the gap gone
>>
>>1069528
No no, I mean removing everything from the surface (including doors and pull drawers. There's been so many bad paint jobs I want to strip it down to its original color (gloss white) and repaint it properly
>>
File: enamel.jpg (430KB, 1364x765px) Image search: [Google]
enamel.jpg
430KB, 1364x765px
>>1069311
Looks like paint. Enamel is thick and doesn't bubble like that from corrosion underneath.
Since i think you mentioned it's a stove, the paint is probably heat resistant/baked paint they usually put on stoves/furnaces.

You can strip the whole thing's paint like other anons mentioned (pink layer looks like latex) and paint over the metal surface with the appropriate paint or you can go crazy and send it to powder coating.
>>
File: DSC_5693kitchen1955.jpg (549KB, 4285x2809px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_5693kitchen1955.jpg
549KB, 4285x2809px
>>1069547
Its metal cabinets, but essentially the same as a stove would be, except the metal has rusted where it was exposed to water (not surprising since there's a sink above it).

As you can see in the picture, the many paint jobs are sloppy and the wrong paint was used (not glossy, not evenly coated). Ideally I would strip it down to the white, and leave the white, and then give it a new coat of some glossy color. I COULD remove all the cabinets and send it somewhere, but ideally I would just remove the doors/drawer faces and go at it one at a time
>>
>>1069552
ugh, kind of ugly

just strip the paint no matter if it will strip the original white paint or not.
sand the shit rusty spots, eventually give it a coat of primer then paint it with some color of choice.

Just make sure you take care of the rust, otherwise it will keep bubbling with rust and turn the new paint to shit.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.