[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey DIY am i going to die. I'm an EE student and touching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: CRT.jpg (79KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
CRT.jpg
79KB, 720x960px
hey DIY am i going to die. I'm an EE student and touching high voltage stuff for the first time ever and I'm not sure if I'm discharging this right. ground wire's clipped, i'm just too afraid to touch the anode and get it over with.

im wearing rubber boots, standing on a yoga mat, i tested the screwdriver for continuity, and my other hand will be in my pocket. is there any thing else I should do?
>>
>>1067266
Water in your boots, wet the mat and make sure you have a neutral wire from your house to grab if things go bad.
>>
>>1067271
fuck off
>>
>>1067266
if you use a resistor in line, you will limit the discharge current and the whole thing will be a lot less scary.
>>
take that bitch outside and spray it with a hose
>>
Tape the screwdriver to a wooden broom you pussy.
>>
>>1067266
Watch people do it on youtube, it you are unsure on what to do it means you are not ready. But just connect a grounded wire to a flathead screw driver and push it under the rubber cap until you hear a pop. If there is no pop gaurantee that you have connected to the anode. Then pry the cap off and ground that shit. Keep in mind that you don't get second chances with high voltage. You will be fine, I approve of your method to discharge the tv. The way yoi described how to do it is the right way, and you are a lite overkill on the safety, but that is a good thing.
>>
>>1067266
Wear rubber gloves too
>>
>>1067266
>is there any thing else I should do?
Wait a couple of minutes after the first discharge and repeat it.
>>
>>1067425
This, also, when you remove the anode, and wait some time, discharge the terminal on the screen as well, since the screen actas like a capacitor.

And if its not powered on you' re unlikely to die. Most danger at that point comes from hitting or breaking something when you jump rapidly due to pain. Make sure no flammables or sharp objects are nearby. Dont smash the crt.
>>
speaking of high voltage, I have two microwave transformers and two microwave capacitors, any ideas on what I can do with them, other than build a jacobs ladder?
>>
>>1068154
Damn it, stop posting this. The only answer is to shove them up your ass.
>>
>>1067266
The dog thinks you are an idiot and is waiting to see you fry.
>>
File: dawg.jpg (35KB, 600x527px) Image search: [Google]
dawg.jpg
35KB, 600x527px
>>1067266
>>
>>1067266
Have done this hundreds of times. The thing I look for most is a well insulated screwdriver handle. Those clear ones show you what is inside too. Make it easy on your self and use a flat blade. Much easier to get it under.
>>
File: 1476077240319370252535.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1476077240319370252535.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
>>1068178
I'm not that guy, but here is my hv microwave buttplug design.
>>
>>1068378
It's heated too
>>
>>1067266

RIP IN PEACE ANON
>>
File: 117-02b-600x402.jpg (78KB, 600x402px) Image search: [Google]
117-02b-600x402.jpg
78KB, 600x402px
>>1067266
If you don't have a multimeter or anythings alike
1. You're studying my ass
2. Go buy one and use it to know if it safe

It's in my opinion a must have for a student, and a very handy tools for a pro.

And if you're not sure of what you're doing then don't do it.
>>
>>1067266
>>>1067266
>If you don't have a multimeter or anythings alike
>1. You're studying my ass
>2. Go buy one and use it to know if it safe
>
>It's in my opinion a must have for a student, and a very handy tools for a pro.
>
>And if you're not sure of what you're doing then don't do it.

Duh I have a multimeter. No matter what I do I'll end up discharging the CRT and/or frying my pussy ass class 3 mm
>>
>>1069346

If your MM is worth anything (ie: not some 30 dollar special from Harbor Freight) then you'll be fine. If your meter is shit, invest in a reputable one now, it'll last you until it fails safely.
>>
>>1068380

>REST IN PEACE IN PEACE ANON
>>
>>1068557

>you need a multimeter to discharge a CRT

lel
>>
>>1071057
You aren't supposed to dump kV through your meter on purpose, protection is there for boneheaded moves not oh I'll test this because I'm not sure. Then what you blow a fuse and have to order a fucking 50$ or some shit replacement and your meter is out of action? If you use a meter especially an expensive one on kV you are a bonehead. Use an hv probe. Honestly I didn't read the thread maybe that's what you said I don't know
>>
>>1067300
Yeah use a 220k ohm resistor so that shit doesn't arc.
>>
>>1067271
FPBP

>>1067266
fuck the screwdriver, use your tongue to make sure it works.
stop being such a fuckin pussy. If you were hooking up a 200amp panel, then I could understand your concern, but getting shocked by a 110v outlet is like touching a 9V to your tongue. 220v is about the same but just more of a jolt, like a fully charged 9V.

Shit will just give you a shock, you'll jerk your hand back, clench your butthole, and say OH FUCK WHAT THE FUCKING SHIT! and continue on.

you people act like if you stick your finger in a socket you are gonna christmas-tree and start cooking and your hair is gonna spontaneously combust. Just dont fuck with transformers and bigass capacitors and you don't got too much to worry about.
>>
>>1072294

You a dumbass.

He's not concerned with the power supply zapping him.

He's concerned with the multi-kV range residual charge on the CRT. Nobody in their right mind knowingly fucks around with what is effectively a HV capacitor.
>>
>>1067266
Connect one end to the grounding strap around the back of the tube and simply insert the screwdriver under the anode cap until it touches the metal clip.

If there is a charge you'll hear a "pop". I've done this hundreds of times and have yet to experience a shock or fuck the set up.
>>
>>1068154
Put them in resonance and draw some monster arcs until a breaker flips.
>>
>>1072294
I once got a belt from a disposable camera capacitor across the chest (hand to hand), I felt like I had just run a marathon afterwards and my heart was pumping weird.
>>
https://youtu.be/B3bRy1FO_fA?t=239
>>
>>1072294

Don't listen to this retarded anon.

I took apart an old TV like this once with just my fingers--woke up on the other side of my desk smelling ozone.

Be careful anon!
>>
>>1072294
The residual charge in a crt is several thousand volts, that will kill you. I got shocked by a microwave capacitor a while ago and got knocked off my chair. Hv is awesome but you don't get second chances
>>
>>1072294
The crt IS a bigass capacitor
>>
>>1072326
What do you mean by in resonance?
>>
>>1072294
Durr, hooking up a 200 amp panel is no more dangerous than a 100 amp. The SE cable generally has no over current protection from the line to the box, if you become the bridge youre taking as many amps as that wire can deliver. If you manage to zap yourself after getting the SE in then youre a special kind of stupid, its swapping the cable between boxes thats dangerous, and you should have pulled the meter can anyway.

DC current has more potential danger, thats the whole reason the electric chair exists(aside from the want to monopolize the market)
>>
>>1067266
The safest way to discharge a CRT screen is to blast it with a shotgun a few times and then nudge it off a cliff with a wooden stick. Take a shower afterwords just in case.
>>
>>1072327
I got zapped by a disposable camera cap. once as a kid. Luckily I wasn't grounded and the current just went across my hand. Still scary as fuck.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.