[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm back diy! About to get ass raped by a hurricane, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_20161006_004516.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161006_004516.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
I'm back diy! About to get ass raped by a hurricane, but after that's done I should be rust removing the oil tank and firing it up!
>>
File: IMG_20161006_004525.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161006_004525.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>1066149
>>
File: IMG_20161006_004533.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161006_004533.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
>>1066151
>>
File: IMG_20161006_004545.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161006_004545.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>1066164
Rag is to prevent crud getting into the oil bearing opening
>>
>>1066149

Can you tell my dumb ass what I am looking at?
>>
>>1066174
>Can you tell my dumb ass what I am looking at?
(note: me = not OP)
it's a home-made jet engine, using a turbocharger

I think that plastic pipe is gonna get melted pretty quick, but anyway.
>>
>>1066149
Yay... a small turbine engine that produces about as much thrust as a mouse fart and is going to melt that PVC 30 seconds after you start it. Also your turbine blades are going to overheat and break off.
>>
>>1066226
Those turbine blades will probably be fine man. And it's just for shits n giggles anyway
>>
File: 20161006_151856.png (69KB, 1149x734px) Image search: [Google]
20161006_151856.png
69KB, 1149x734px
>>1066149
Ayyy main! Have fun with your raping.

I am in an unsecured cuckshed at work.

Just got this in Kansas...
>>
>>1066149
how does this deliver any power? the sheet metal on that manifold does not look like it will handle any torque.
>>
>>1066222
yeah, its just temporary to test it, going to be replaced with proper 2" silicone hose

>>1066226
its for shits and giggles, theoretically its gonna make 38lbs with 80% efficiency. it weighs way more, but i was thinking of maybe putting it on a kayak and put the nozzel under water... see if i could get a jet ski kinda thing going.

>>1066457
to get it started you use a leaf blower or shop air to spool up the compressor. you inject lpg and spark it to get combustion going. after a while it comes up to self sustaining speed and you can remove the air... so compressor is compressing air to about 30psi, which then combusts inside the big cylender, theres a flame tube with 3 zones to allow air passage wihtout blowing out the flame. that then goes into the horn looking thing that diverts the hot air to the turbine. the turbine gets energy from the hot gas and keeps the compressor turning. the excess energy comes out as thrust.

which part looks like its not strong enough? everything is 1/8" plate, except for the cylenders. outer flame tube is .205" thick, and the inlet is .06 inch, which is ample for the pressures im dealing with.
>>
File: 1475739075358.jpg (476KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1475739075358.jpg
476KB, 1280x960px
>>1066481
>>
https://youtu.be/60xe-xQoA0w
>>
>>1066481
>see if i could get a jet ski kinda thing going
Jet ski's do not work that way.
>>
>>1066483
How the fuck is that going to work, your combustion chamber is huge. You are going to lose any pressure developed by the turbo

I guess it's all for the best any ways since you're not actually extracting power from it to do anything..not that it would be possible any ways.
>>
>>1066481
Strapping a home built jet turbine, that you have to start with highly compressed air, to a kayak, then shoving the outlet under water to achieve propulsion.

Never change 4chan, never change.
>>
File: service-airboat[1].jpg (299KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
service-airboat[1].jpg
299KB, 1200x900px
>>1066646
>then shoving the outlet under water to achieve propulsion.

>implying the propeller has to be under water
>>
>>1066670
>putting it on a kayak and put the nozzel under water

read OP's post dipshit
>>
>>1066646
It will still get propulsion without the nozzle under water, but you get "ground effect" by submerging the nozzle, just like helicopter when they are near the ground... you are pushing against a denser object than air.

again. its a dicking around project. what have you dont recently anon?
>>
>>1066682
>...you are pushing against a denser object than air...
I understand the idea behind it and how it works, I just think the mental image of a kayak with a home made turbine whizzing past me after a few shots and some shitty beer while floating down a river is hilarious. Anyone who disagrees is a stiff.

>what have you dont recently anon?
Mmm I finished a 'small' vertical indoor aquaponic system for my apartment, I just have to plant it. That's probably one of the bigger and heavier projects I have taken on. I also made a few sheaths for my knives, cleaned out about half of the stuff I don't need from my workspace, and drew up plans for my next projects.
>I don't do any diy because I found a jet propelled kayak entertaining.
>>
>>1066712
ah, misread the inflection on the post, was assuming you were saying it wasnt going to work or something.
>>
>>1066614
no, the chamber is the right size... theres maths and shit i did to get the dimentions all right anon.

>>1066483
correct! and thanks for the diagram. the pump is actually an oil pump for the system, its liquid propane fueled. oil tank is on the other side :)
>>
File: 1475739075358.jpg (483KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1475739075358.jpg
483KB, 1280x960px
>>1066780
>the pump is actually an oil pump

corrected
>>
>>1066149
Cool project. Have a (You) and a bump
>>
>>1066646
Friend built a torpedo with an air tank.
Didn't do shit on land but was pretty fast in the water.
>>
>>1066149
>About to get ass raped by a hurricane
if that doesn't happen, the bomb you are building will definitely kill you (or cripple you at least)
>>
>>1067065
What bomb? Psi gonna be less than 30 psi, and the oil is in spec...
>>
>>1066816
You should make a controllable directional outlet and use it to blow/melt snow! A fire spitting snowblower, how awesome is that. And if you do, make my day by posting a video.
>>
>>1067497
i built it to be fairly portable. thats gonna be the total footprint + a propane tank. if i want to have it tilted downward, i might want to reweld the oil tank on slightly angled to so oil level sits right and doesnt back up into the drain line, but totally doable.

once its done i plan on doing videos where i just put random shit behind a jet engine (think hydrolic press channel style videos)
>>
>>1067677
Sounds like a plan! Be sure to add some kind of nozzle though, will make the output much more controllable.
>>
>>1066780
Did you do any research on exhaust nozzles? They must add thrust, right?
I like the project btw. You have build plans to share? I'm thinking this would be a great winter project.
>>
>>1067497
Your DIY engine is too heavy for this, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9CzmFsyQyg
>>
>>1066483
that diagram is very well done, it leaves no questions. and the fire is aesthetically pleasing to look at. 10/10 on your ms paint skills.
>>
>>1068065
That seems like a great way to start a conflagration.
>>
hey op, what about a 2nd turbine wheel to drive a jetski propellor?
>>
Anybody have a link yet to news report "family of 5 dies in explosion from homemade pipe bomb, ISIS claims son was jihadist sleeper agent"
>>
>>1069071
Actually, it will be described as a pressure cooker....
>>
It will need an exhaust duct of some sort to develop thrust. The reaction producing thrust in jet engines takes place inside the exhaust duct. You can also add a fuel spray ring if you want an afterburner (or as the Bongs call it, reheat).
>>
>>1069098
>You can also add a fuel spray ring if you want an afterburner

Do it op
>>
>>1069098
>add a fuel spray ring
I suggest kerosene as the fuel
>>
this is going to grenade so fast
>>
To all those morons who say this will explode - the pressure will only be as high as given by the turbine, in a gas turbine combustion does not raise the pressure, as counter-intuitive as that might sound. Educate yourselves, you thermodynamically illiterate fags.
>>
>>1069505
if you over speed the turbine it WILL explode. It will fly apart.
>>
I highly doubt it even has the capacity to explode, it will melt inside and die like a dog inside a garbage can, i.e. it will just go quietly
>>
>>1069505
Interesting, hadn't realized that. Would you mind giving some explanation? Currently, I am thinking along the lines of "system gets into steady state, at that point the pressure will be increased to the level the compressor can handle" However, the pressure is higher because the combustion is taking place, adding particles in the same volume. Without combustion, compressor wouldn't work.
>>
>>1069686
Interesting theory, sounds reasonable.
Bumping for answer.
>>
>>1069686
>>1069693

The compressor part is constantly supplying air to the system combustion chamber, it can only supply any air if the pressure in the chamber is lower or equal than what the compressor delivers. A gas turbine combustion chamber can be pretty much imagined as a pipe being heated up. It gives out more mechanical power than you put in in the compressor, because of the added heat and the risen temperature, not pressure. The flow of air is constant, and the volume of fuel is negligible.
>>
>>1069760
I'm starting to believe you might be letting some pieces out here. I (>>1069686) am pretty sure that the chemical reaction does add molecules, thus adds volume. Thanks for confirming the rest though. Nice insight.
>>
>#RIPinpeaceOP
>#RIPinpeaceHarambe

Please video the explosion we wanna see that shit
>>
>>1070169
Adding volume is not the same as adding pressure. Look up: isobaric process, isobaric heating, isobaric reaction

When you have constant flow, you can't have anything else than isobaric, it just is not physically possible, as to put it in laymans terms, shit would stop flowing.
>>
>>1070252
>It gives out more mechanical power than you put in in the compressor, because of the added heat and the risen temperature, not pressure. The flow of air is constant
>>1069760
Well, flow of air actually is not constant, since more particles flow out than flow in. Also, if something would actually be isobaric, there would be no flow. Flow needs a pressure difference, even though it can be very low.

My main point was to point at where the energy is actually coming from, since that is not only from the higher temp, but also from the higher amount of particles.
>>
OP is kill.
>>
>>1066149
>>1067677
>>1071423
OP, please update. Don't be dead OP. Dead OP is worst OP.
>>
>>1071172
The pressure raises in the compressor, stays at that value in the combustion chamber, and decreases in the turbine. The system works because the volume escaping through the turbine is larger than the volume getting in at the compressor. Fairly simple. No pressure raise in the combustion chamber, or as you have rightfully pointed out, the lack of pressure differential at the compressor discharge, or one going in the opposite direction, would stop the flow. The flow is isobaric in the combustion chamber, not across the whole system, important distinction. But it is isobaric nonetheless. Just read how gas turbines work on wiki.
>>
Why is everyone thinking the turbocharger turbines would go through the housing?

If it the blades did fail, it would be the exhaust side and the blades would be spat out the rear.
>>
>>1071808
unless they entire assembly flew apart.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.