[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to build some LED decorations for my room by illuminating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0904_klein.jpg (49KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0904_klein.jpg
49KB, 1440x1080px
I want to build some LED decorations for my room by illuminating acrylic sheets. I have seen ways of displaying neat patterns and images by engraving the surface. Now my question: is it possible to do the engraving by hand, without any tools whatsoever? All videos and blogs use special engraving tools and while they are quite cheap, I want to do it by hand if possible. Can I just take a sharp object and scratch the surface to do my engraving?
>>
>>1065286
Not really no. Unless you're happy with it looking like shit of course.
>>
>>1065286
>engraving by hand, without any tools whatsoever
yes if u have fingernails

>sharp
also yes
>>
>>1065288

Well, I don't plan on making complex figures, so precision is not key here. That's why I would like to know whether it can be done with a screwdriver or so. Sounds stupid, but I don't know why it shouldn't work.
>>
>>1065286
the patterns are usually just points on the acrylic that diffuse the light, so rough surfaces stand out, or deeper cuts or sharp changes in the angle of the surface are noticeable. so just scratching the surface works really well.
>>
>>1065327

Alright, thank you! Might as well just try it since those sheets cost next to nothing.
>>
Acrylic is laser engraved.
>>
Also sorry for spamming (I would sage if I could) but how would you .. "isolate" the edges in the most efficient way?
I see that if I illuminate the sheet from the bottom with LED, light will also diffract from the sides and create annoying glares. Gluing something onto the sides would probably look horrendous. What do to prevent this?
>>
>>1065352

Paint. White will reflect a bit more like internally (but only a bit, since most of it will be specular and diffuse out of the acrylic quickly), but be more visible. Black will be less visible but absorb essentially all light that hits it, meaning there's less available for the etchings.

Or you can polish the edges. This will allow the light to escape more-or-less parallel to the pane, eliminating glare except from very low angles.

There won't be a huge difference between the three in terms of how the etching itself looks.
>>
>>1065352
aluminium tape might be able to stick to thin sides and you'll have to cut the exces
>>
>>1065357

Sounds interesting. I will buy two sheets and test your tip with the extra one.

>>1065360

This would require really precise cutting which I probably can't do. The most narrow tapes here are 50mm and the acryl sheets are around 6mm. I might try it anyways.

Thanks for the answers!
>>
>>1065368
>this would require really precise cutting which I probably can't do.

nope, you just let it hang over the edge and slice off the excess using the plastic as a guide. a razor blade and a little practice will make it perfect.
>>
File: 20161005_2053092.jpg (683KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20161005_2053092.jpg
683KB, 1440x1080px
>>1065390

In the end I followed your advice. Pic related is the final product. I am satisfied, although it has many things that could have been done better. Thanks for the advice!
>>
File: eagle-head-sandcarved-acrylic.jpg (59KB, 350x500px) Image search: [Google]
eagle-head-sandcarved-acrylic.jpg
59KB, 350x500px
>>1065286
Sucks ass by hand even with a dremel. Maybe trace with a file and hard pressure? Shouldnt need to be very deep. Not mine but pic related. Filling in by hand sucks. 1.5 trillion dots looks like cool scales. Have fun boyo.
>>
File: download (45).jpg (6KB, 259x195px) Image search: [Google]
download (45).jpg
6KB, 259x195px
>>1065352
I use automotive door edge trim guards like a boss. I have used black tape and shit like that and paint too. Anything that blocks light.
>>
>>1065813
I made 50 of this with a dremel before i got the hang of it. Good job op
>>
>>1065286
I gues u could. I used a dremel a lot. Needs hardly much of a scratch. Maybe a sharp knife or lay an imige down and trace with a hand file a few times?

By hand will suckass tho. I spent a lot of time with my old dremel and even it sucked. Thinner acriylic works just fine. Bonus points for cheap led strip and tape between 2 panels for multiple colors.

Have fun.
>>
File: 44e324a9bd6325e5f47c1ad0cff8ebc3.png (25KB, 1050x1050px) Image search: [Google]
44e324a9bd6325e5f47c1ad0cff8ebc3.png
25KB, 1050x1050px
>>1065286
id start saving for a dremel or off brand asap and watch some guides. fine speed adjustment is a must. i made this faggot dodge emblem a while back. nvm, fucking pos pc won't let me select shitty pick. here. have my future minecraft billboard...
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.