[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

outside of the dangers related to breathing in any type of dust,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: thesearenot2x4s.jpg (40KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
thesearenot2x4s.jpg
40KB, 640x426px
outside of the dangers related to breathing in any type of dust, in there any inherent danger to cutting and using untreated 2x4 studs?

i know treated lumber, in addition to having a greenish hue, is marked 'MB.' most of the cheap lumber i buy from big box stores is warped, KD HT pine. if lumber is stamped KD HT, does that mean that it hasn't been treated any other way and is safe for use?
>>
>>1065156
Well what use do you want it to be safe for ?

As you said any dust is bad for you. Get a mask while you're at the store getting lumber.
>>
>>1065156

>Airborne dust particles
>Airborne dust particles

Pick one.
>>
Kiln Dried, Heat Treated

Freaking SPLINTERS; they kill
>>
>>1065156
>any inherent danger to cutting and using untreated 2x4 studs?
keep your booger hooks away from the saw blade
>>
File: red green.jpg (24KB, 320x184px) Image search: [Google]
red green.jpg
24KB, 320x184px
>>1065462
And keep your stick on the ice.
>>
Hmmm

I normally filter any heavy dust work I do through a cigarette so I should be fine

Though I'm a metal worker so that more involves shielding gases, metal gases and abrasive dusts
>>
>>1065156
You're destroying the forest and ruining everything. Life sucks and we're all going to die.
>>
>>1066120
Go cry about it.
>>
>>1065156
Aside from dust-
Depends on the timber, most of the pines, oaks and common stuff are generally low on allergy indexes, some of the more uncommon timbers can cause skin irritations and a handful of the exotic types are outright poisonous.
Some people can also be a bit more sensitive than others as well.
>>
>>1066120
... pine is grown on tree farms. that's why shitty pine construction lumber is prone to be warped so much, because it's grown quick.
>>
>>1066212
look at this stupid fuck. he thinks trees grow on farms

i bet your dumbass think trees just grow on trees.
>>
>>1066214
>trees grow on farms
they do you dumbasssss
>>
>>1065156
they barely treat the treated lumber now.
>>
>>1066224
Maybe in shitty places like yurop
>>
>>1067864
These days it's only 40% wood by weight anyway.
>>
>>1067867
Heh... Hehehe...

Europa certainly has problems, but sustainable forest management isn't one.

Part of the reason wood warps is growth but the main one is drying. If wood dries to fast without pressure (from being stacked with other lumber), it will warp.

If wood is dried slowly, under pressure, in stable conditions it will only warp slightly.
>>
>>1067867
Go drive around Oregon or Washington sometime. See the tree farms. Trees planted in rows, for acres, for this use. Spooky as fuck forest because interior is completely black.
>>
>>1067913
I think you're being trolled, but there are Nurseries in every state, not just the Pacific Northwest. Hard work, but fun as shit if you're a kid growing up on one.
>>
File: beaver.jpg (99KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
beaver.jpg
99KB, 1280x720px
>>1065995
and your dick in a vise
>>
>>1067892
Europe definitely has sustainable forest problems
Europe is missing most of it's original old growth forests
>>
>>1068409
Yep, but the forests we have a now run in a sustainable manner...

And we needed all that wood, for making empires, purging heretics and mistreating a lot of different races...
>>
>>1068409
This. All the forests are gone, so I guess they technically don't have a problem anymore
>>
>>1066159
Isn't all the sawdust carcinogenic? And if i remember well oak has more tannin than pine or beech for example and tannin is not good for you in high doses.
>>
>>1069671
Wood dust- its responsible for some sinus and nasal cancers, that would be elevated too if its a treated timber with arsenic or formaldehyde and various other chemicals. That's preventable if you wear a $0.50 dust mask and don't expose yourself to a lot of the stuff, little bit here and there is likely negligible and if you smoke cigs, they'll probably kill you first.
I do a bit of work with purpleheart, ebony and wenge from time to time and they're quite high on the toxicity/allergy indexes, sometimes I'll get a bit of a rash or dermatitis from them if I don't wash my hands immediately after working with them.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.