[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have a tiny home and cheap living thread? I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: portablecabin.png (428KB, 854x680px) Image search: [Google]
portablecabin.png
428KB, 854x680px
Can we have a tiny home and cheap living thread?

I don't know where else to ask this. I am a young guy, in college right now. I was wondering, what would the downside be to buying some land for 10 to 20k, and paying for one of these to put down? I don't know anything about /diy/ except how to paint and drywall, of which I've done both. Is there any reason not to buy a prefab or tiny home?

Would they have poorer insulation? Would it be more difficult to get such a thing to be considered a permanent structure so that it could be seen as a legitimate home with an address?
>>
>>1065129
They really are just overpriced travel trailer.

The point of the tiny home is to /diy/ it.
>>
>>1065129
>Would it be more difficult to get such a thing to be considered a permanent structure so that it could be seen as a legitimate home with an address?
in many places, tiny houses wont pass inspections, and wont be allowed to connect to utilities. Is your plan to be off grid on your own property?

>Would they have poorer insulation?
yes, they are made to be lightweight not energy efficient.
>>
>>1065147
>in many places, tiny houses wont pass inspections, and wont be allowed to connect to utilities

This is not quite true.
In a major city you may have zoning laws, but anywhere you can buy acreage will have much different regulations.

>Would they have poorer insulation?
Typically tiny houses are made with 2x4 studs just like a normal house and they use the same insulation.

There is no difference between them and a travel trailer or a mobile home as far as the law is concerned.

OP.
Most important part is having water.
If you can't tap into city supply, be sure you can drill a well.
A friend bought property outside of las Vegas. Well company said they "might" hit water at 2,500 feet, but there was no guarantee. That would be $20,000+ for nothing.

On my property:
>15 acres- $22,000
>Electricity- $900 (I was close to the main line, I could have just as easily bought another piece of land and had to spend $15,000- I got lucky).
>Septic- $2,500
>Well- $4,000
>Cabin- $9,000 for the shell, + $5,000-ish to finish it with wiring, plumbing, insulation, drywall. It would have been cheaper to build my own cabin but this was much, much easier.
>>
>>1065217
Mobile Homes have to meet HUD Requirements as of June 15, 1976. All homes that were manufactured after this date are required to have a data plate and information as to whom the manufacturer is. Additionally, Mobile Homes are usually placed up onto jack stands when they reach their destination.

As well, most areas have something which is called a "Trailer Overlay" which is where Manufactured-Housing can be placed.

Tiny Homes would not be considered Mobile Homes or Manufactured Housing as they don't meet HUD requirements. A Tiny Home would be considered a Travel Trailer and as far as I can tell, the point of Tiny Homes is to avoid all of this by using the very lax definitions of what constitutes a fifth wheel trailer.

Travel Trailers are completely different and very few locales will allow you to park one and live in it outside of an RV Park for very long. There seems to be a common exemption of allowing you to live in the RV or Travel Trailer while you complete your permanent residence, this is not a universal. To my knowledge, North-Eastern Nevada is the ONLY place where you would be able to very easily park and live in a Travel Trailer full-time.

My recommendation would be that you do a lot of research into what it would take to finding a permissive location and then worry about building it. As it stands, most states continue to adopt more restrictive building, residential and fire codes which then feed into the standards that are used to develop planning and zoning documents.
>>
>>1065135
>They really are just overpriced travel trailer.

10,000% this.

>>1065147
>yes, they are made to be lightweight not energy efficient.

No, you can get as good insulation R-value as a normal home.

>tiny houses wont pass inspections
>HUD

Not true in the slightest. Do you even know anything at all about HUD, kid? I bet your a bank loan shill aren't you?
>>
>>1066749
You can live in a trailer indefinitely in virtually every state.
There is no police force that checks to see how you've progressed on building a permanent house. You won't get a notice saying "build a house in 2 years or remove your trailer"- this country isn't a police state.

My cabin/tiny house/whatever you want to call it meets all local building codes. Its construction is superior to 99% of the mobile homes I've seen.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.