[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/, I'm going to convert half of my garage to a room.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Hey /diy/,
I'm going to convert half of my garage to a room. Will the cinder block walls provide enough insulation in FL with an average exterior temp of 85-87 for a window AC unit to be set at, say, 78?

If not, are there any cheap ways to insulate these walls that won't add too much to thickness? The door and window already look silly.
>>
>>1064950
Man, this really is a slow board. Some more details:
One wall is already insulated, one will be, and 2 walls are cinder. Exterior is just paint. Am open to having nonstandard wall material if needed, foam walls or whatever. Just hoping to hear from someone who has converted a cinderblock walled room to a livable space, how well it worked, what you liked/disliked, etc.
>>
How about... You make the wall into a hidden storage aswell. Make the wall a little thicker. Then you could drawers and your garden made right into the wall.
>>
It'll be fine. You might have to cover the 2 suicide vents if those are code where you live.
>>
>>1064950
Foamboard insulation (extruded polystyrene "Styrofoam") is pretty good and only adds 1/2" up to 6" of insulation, depending on how much you want. Temperature difference from 78F to 87F is only 9 degrees. You can probably get away with only 1/2" (R3 usually) of extruded polystyrene foamboard with your choice of finishing on the inside if needed. In my area, it is about $16 per 4'x8' sheet.
>>
>>1065103
There are some openings for old piping and electrical that will need plugged, but I've never heard of suicide vents. That's crazy if the name represents the meaning.
>>
>>1065101
I thought about it on the outside, but the wall is about 3 feet from the neighbors fence. Fucking suburbia spacing, man.
>>
>>1065114
This seems like the way to go. When you say it should be fine, do you mean with styrofoam or without it? Of course more insulation is better, but I understand the limitations of cooling a garage and can deal with 80-82 degrees.
>>
>>1065301
It's just vents in the garage that lets exhaust fumes get out so retards don't kill themselves in the winter trying to warm their car up.
>>
>>1065307
The difference is more run time for your AC. So, without insulation it will run longer than with insulation. That means more money per month for electric. Weigh the costs of additional electric with the costs of lots of money on foamboard.

You may just invest in a nice box fan that can blow on you instead. I found that using an AC as a spot cooler with a box fan to direct the cold air to where ever I'm at in the room was more suitable than adding more insulation.
>>
>>1064950
Don't bother with cinder blocks. Just frame in a wall if you are going to that trouble, use whatever pink fiberglass you feel is acceptable and then cover over it with the thinnest dry wall you can find and finish.

Cinder-Blocks just suck for interior walls and unless you are going to fill them with cement don't bother.
>>
>>1066756
This.

>>1064950
OP insulation won't be your problem in Florida it will be ventilation.
Make sure you vent the room properly or you'll mould up in a few years
>>
>>1066756
What do you mean? The cinderblock walls are already there, I only have to build one wall. Are you saying to frame and insulate them or just insulate the one I have to build?
>>
>>1066843
What kind of ventilation are you talking? The room will have 3 doors and a window, do I need something more?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.