[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey DIY so basically I'm wondering if I wanted to, could

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 2014-WashingtonLand-MH-111.jpg (221KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
2014-WashingtonLand-MH-111.jpg
221KB, 1500x1000px
Hey DIY

so basically I'm wondering if I wanted to, could I rescue Kee bird from the lake she's floating on in northern greenland?

I figure I could just use a tractor like this one, tie some ropes around the wings and tail and pull it to shore.

I asked reddit but I learned reddit gives shit engineering advice because everyone there has too many goddamned chromasones.

Basically, I just wanna go up as a one person team pull it out with a tractor and claim the wreck so I can air haul it out later.
>>
>>1064793
Pic related thing sitting in backround in Lake is kee bird
>>
>>1064793
Probably has 50 tons of water in it, p!us the weight of the plane itself.
There's a reason its still sitting there...
>>
>>1064793
rescue what exactly? the wings and engines?
>>
>>1064793
If your tractor is strong enough, and you would need a big tractor, you could definitely rip some pieces off because you don't know what you are doing or how to attach the cables. So, no.
>>
>>1064793
>salvaging a crashed plane from a lake
before you did this you would want to look into exactly what you could do with it once you got it out.
it's not likely to be repairable (at least by someone with no real plane-restoration experience) so it's only scrap metal

also you would probably have to connect your line to the motor mounts or around the spar and pull it by that.
the wings and tail aren't built real solid and would probably just tear off

-----

there is a few companies in the US that do this: they travel around the world and find wrecked vintage airplanes, and salvage and rebuild them to sell.
it's not a quick and easy thing tho.
the airplane must be identifiable by records, and they have to restore it to EXACTLY as it was before--so they need real factory blueprints for it first.
it's a long and expensive process, and financially it's just not worth doing it for a lot of known wreck sites.
>>
Kee Bird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u4YBwjQTds

see last ~5 minutes to see what is sitting on the ice
>>
>>1064829
It has a tail number and history

It was almost restored to flight actually but see plane caught fire because some fuckwit thought they could jerry rig a fuel system in mid taxi.
>>1064838
See last 5 minutes of this ^

my plan would be to mount ropes to the engines and part of wingsin the winter, and move it in the summer when the lake unfreezes

After that I could probably take out a loan or something to get it airhauled to a garage or some place it can be worked on. I could probably get alot of the money from donations that's how they usually do these kind of things
>>
>>1064808
The wings tail and engines, pretty much anything that can be airlifted out
>>
>>1064843
Don't sign any contracts until the donations are in.
>>
I have a few contacts who could probably help me out, main cost would be airliftin it out, that's probably gonna cost upwards of 70k if I'm lucky most likely double that though.
>>
>>1064793
> air lifted out
>>still has to haul the tractor.
>>
>>1064912
well I mean they got a tractor there pic very related, it just hasn't started since the mid 90s

I think it could be started, you would just have to bring a mechanic, but that costs time and money, so it might just be easier to fly something new in
>>
>>1064793
>everyone there has too many goddamned chromasones.
>chromasones
>>
File: 2014-WashingtonLand-MH-097.jpg (233KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
2014-WashingtonLand-MH-097.jpg
233KB, 1500x1000px
>>1064793
some more pics of it in current status,

Heres a video
https://vimeo.com/106871067

I want to restore it to flight because mainly I feel this plane was cheated, plus I'm probably borderline crazy, so theres that
>>
There is nothing left to salvage.

That nigger hired to recover it went back a year later and bulldozed the shit out of everything so nobody else could try.
>>
>>1064977
>>1064967
that pic was taken in 2014, I think he destroyed the camp, not the plane, plane is still there
>>
>>1064934
>I think it could be started
Don't bother. If you can get it out of the lake, strip everything off of it. Hire a heavy lift chopper (Mi-26) to haul the fuselage and pieces to a nice warm hangar. Restore it there. If the range is too long, haul to a barge and tow it to a warmer climate.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.