[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /diy/, I'm a resident assistant at my university, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: scavenger-hunt.jpg (121KB, 1600x1302px) Image search: [Google]
scavenger-hunt.jpg
121KB, 1600x1302px
Hi /diy/,

I'm a resident assistant at my university, and I want to host a scavenger hunt in my dorm for the residents to participate in. I have a 20 dollar budget. What I need help with is:

-How do I make this "educational" or development focused without it sounding really stupid to the residents, which would turn them off from participating. (My boss is requiring programs be developmental for the residents.)
-What kind of prize could I give the winner? Should I give a prize at all? I'm trying to think of an incentive for participation.
-What would the actual items to be found be? I'm thinking maybe 30 items in total.

Any ideas appreciated.
>>
I was thinking there could be an incentive for whoever finds the most items.
>>
>>1064593
>30 [prizes] / 20 [bucks] = $0.666 (etc.) per item.?
>1 (one) case of (good..) beer (= motivational participation incentive) > $20 ???
-nope, unless you obtain local brewery sponsorhip, this is all not working out for me either.

make it teams, have one winner (enough of this 'its the participation, mostly..' garbage) and the wiinning team get to ostentatiously flout some campus rule or whatever for [a period] - because, at $20, total, you dont have much else to offer.

The whole thing is obv. 'developmental' in nature anyway (team-spirit building, solution should require co-operation, increased environmental awareness -'its, like, outside? really?' - etc.) - if thats not enough for your Bosses, tell them to shove their nonsense up their politically-correct hole(s). Hey, it works for Trump. Speaking of which, if relatively soon? - you could election theme it, adds to the frission ;)
>>
>>1064606

I could host the entire thing in the dorm, and place the items in important locations in the building and give some to the other RAs, forcing the residents to get a better layout of the building and meet the other RAs
>>
>>1064593
Download a bunch of shit from /pol/, print them out, and make the students find them.

It's free, and it develops their brains by breaking the conditioning (which doubles as a prize).
>>
>>1064593
Educational element could be puzzle solving.
>>
File: 99209647bbebd.jpg (23KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
99209647bbebd.jpg
23KB, 500x374px
>>1064593
We love to play fun games like "who smeared shit on the mirrors" or "who keeps propping the back door open to let raccoons, cockroaches, and local vagrants inside".

bonus philosophical rounds include "why do crackheads love to shave their heads in the stairwell?" and "how drunk does someone have to be before it's not consensual?"
>>
>>1064593
make the winner the first person to get say three objects back to a check point, make educational by leaving clues that require the person to look up information relevent to their studies, and make the items small but somehow linked to what you want them to learn about.
>>
>>1064593
>-How do I make this "educational" or development focused without it sounding really stupid to the residents, which would turn them off from participating. (My boss is requiring programs be developmental for the residents.)
Make it for the purpose of familiarizing residents to the campus, or at least the dorm. Make the things they have to find be tucked away behind things like fire extinguishers and fuse boxes, or require that they use alternate entrances and exits to the building, so that they will know where those things are in the future in case The Shit Goes Down.
>>
>>1065704
>hide em.. behind things like.. fuse boxes..
yup, that'll be educational alright.
>>
>>1064593
God. Who pushes shit like this. No one in a dorm wants to play a scavenger hunt.
>>
>>1065757
You don't know me
>>
>>1064593
scavenger hunt is one thing but if you have to hide lots of things everywhere in a public place it gets out of hand pretty fucking quick, people steal things, bits go missing etc.
consider alternative: get them to take pictures of things based on clues. they are still finding things and getting out and about, most people have a camera phone now.
if you aren't set on specifically scavenger hunt you can make the item list into clues to make them educational, the list is questions and the item they have to find is the answer, i.e. the answer is some statue or type of tree or some area where something happens they should all be aware of and the clue is written so they have to learn about who its a statue of or why the tree is rare or what goes on in this room etc etc etc...
this way you get a little more teamwork in groups rather than everyone spreading out to cover more scavenge area.

when i was at uni a guy in our class was in hospital for two days because one of the items was drink a cup of water from the canal. so don't be stupid about it.
>>
>>1065716
You know what I mean. Maybe IN the fuse box because hey when some retard puts their keys in an outlet and trips the whole building, someone can just go flip it themselves instead of calling 911.

My old college, as part of its orientation, did something like this but more for school services and such. 90% of the scavenger hunt items were things that basically boiled down to "find the person you'll need to talk to if The Shit Goes Down" or find the object you'll need to look at if You Want The Shit To Go Down"

>>1065784
Again, drawing from my college experience, they did something similar with my orientation group. It was mostly either room numbers or descriptions rather than actually returning an item.
>>
Google Goose Chase, scavenger hunt app. it's more fun with pictures!
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.