[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/. I'm currently refurbishing some old dresser.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

Hey /diy/. I'm currently refurbishing some old dresser.

As you can see, there is a little damage to the corners. Any idea how I could fix this?

Also, does anyone know what wood this is? This is really important to me.

It somewhat smells of basement, even after oiling. I read that vinegar could help, but also that it destroys some softer woods.

Sorry if this is not directly "diy", I just don't know where else to post it.
>>
>>1063167
>>
>>1063168
I'm generally thankful for tips regarding wood cleaning and finishing.

There are scratches that are only visible in direct light, but they really bug me.
>>
>>1063167
a stain marker for mid depth scratches (wax colored to match the stain), for shallow scratches you can rub a plain white candle on the surface, and it will fill in the gaps in the finish that make the scratch look white, but it's semi-temporary because wax wears faster than finish when cleaning, so you have to do it every six months or so.
pretty sure that looks like an oak, given the unstained color of the chip and the long flecks of grain pattern.
for that chip, the only thing you can really try is to use stainable (or prestained) wood filler to patch it, then carefully sand down to a smooth profile and restain and seal. it'll probably end up looking like shit. or you can try using a stain marker/stain to minimize the visibility by making it the same color.
you could also maybe sand it to make it a smooth edged divot instead of a chip, but it'll still be obvious because of the profile.
>>
>>1063231
Thanks for your in depth answer.

I had a friend over who happens to be a woodworker, and he also said it is oak.

This sounds like it is a huge workaround for something that will probably still end up looking like shit. Guess I either color and ignore it or have my friend make a copy of the whole piece.

For the scratches, rubbing it with a candle had an interesting effect that made it look more "worn". But I totally dig it. I mean, it's an old and worn piece, it should look worn.
>>
>>1063237
I would go the route of wood filler and a stain marker, that's a fair size chip and will be noticeable if you only stain it. So long as you do it right, putty and a marker will only be visible up close.
>>
>>1063167
Where I work it's either sand to match before it's stained or fill with like suggested filler and marker
Also a light/dark wax helps.
>>
>>1063239
>>1063244

Thanks, I will try it with putty and marker.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.