[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have someone who is frequently breaking into cars on our street.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

File: 1435199357630.jpg (28KB, 309x400px) Image search: [Google]
1435199357630.jpg
28KB, 309x400px
I have someone who is frequently breaking into cars on our street. It has happened to my car twice. Locked, no damage, they toss everything in the car looking for something. Is there some kind of non leathal deterrent I could build?
>>
A car alarm?
>>
>>1062990
>Locked, no damage, they toss everything in the car looking for something
Does the FBI think you have copies of Hillary's emails?
>>
>>1063018
I think my car alarm is broke, It never went off.
>>
File: shellyduvall.jpg (34KB, 700x653px) Image search: [Google]
shellyduvall.jpg
34KB, 700x653px
>>1062990
>>
>>1063112
>File: shellyduvall.jpg
wtf??
>>
>>1062990
Mouse traps in your compartments.

But that might get your seats knifed, windows smashed etc.
>>
>>1062990
https://youtu.be/A0Gfzp9rpqk
>>
tape a fake grenade to the inside of the window with a string running down to the door
>>
>>1062990
The only problem with some deterrents is that they may bring about retaliation. If they aren't stealing cars, then just clear your car of anything valuable or important. And get a better alarm.
>>
Take out everything valuable, leave doors unlocked so they don't smash your windows, set up a camera in your house and take the footage to the cops.
>>
>>1062990
I have a Transit van and it's happening to me all the time. First time they got in they stole about 2k worth of tools so I stopped leaving tools in.

Next time they got in they took £15 in charge from my ash tray so I stopped leaving change in there.

Now there is literally nothing in it other than the seats, steering wheel and a jack and spare wheel.

They keep coming back, they dont do any damage getting in but there's nothing in it for them so now they come less frequent and eventually they'll give up.

Honestly what I'd do if I were you, get a good quality steering lock, take out all your valuables and leave it unlocked.

They can get in without causing damage and once there's nothing there for them to take they'll just leave.
>>
>>1063181
Put deterrents on other people's cars.
>>
put a dummy in the back seats so it looks like someone is sleeping back there
>>
>>1062990
ya, its called arm your car alarm
>>
Take an extension cord, cut the female end off, attach the black wire to the car and plug it in. Don't touch the car. Use a step up transformer for a better effect.
>>
>>1063459
...and fuse all your electrics, you know, considering the chassis is ground...
>>
>>1063461
Besides the absurdity of the idea, the car would be isolated. The battery ground has nothing to do with the mains ground.
>>
>>1064317
>Besides the absurdity of the idea
Nit all that absurd
I got tired of the neighbors dog pissing on my new wheels.
I did pretty much just that but put a socket and 60W lamp in series with the 'hot' lead.
Not to protect others. Just to have a suitable resistance in case the 'hot' got grounded unintentionally.

Next morning while dressing for work I heard a YELP!
I rushed to the door in time to see the little bastard dragging himself along with his front paws while his hind legs were flat on the ground.
It looked like he was dragging his dick through the dew covered grass in an attempt to soothe it.

No more dog pissing problems.
>>
>>1063112
Those are actually emergency lights for stores lol you plug them in and it charges the battery the lights won't come on unless there is a power outage or you unplug it
>>
get those shitty magnetic little door alarm sounding devices, and tape them to the doors and car in such a way that they sound when the door opens. It sucks, but you can find them at the dollar store sometimes and it will scare the shit out of them, especially if they've been in your car before.

A couple notes. Some car alarms work different. Some work that if the door's mechanical lock is popped up the alarm will not set off, others wont sound off in the door unlock button is pressed. All of which can be accomplished by prying the door open a bit and using a piece of metal or coat hanger to press the button or pull the lock up.

Other vehicles if the door handle is pulled while the alarm is set it may go off. Figure out how your car alarm sets off and doesnt to help you better, you may be able to put a piece of tape over your electronic door unlock controls.

Another option is they use a slim jim to open the car, though i think many cars aren't designed for that to work anymore.

Best way to figure out is open your doors and look on the frame for scratches from the doors being pryed open and anything being shoved in tearing up the paint or weather stripping. If its a slim jim check the window and weather stripping, but its harder to tell.
>>
>>1062990
A 10-gauge with rock salt.
>>
I need help changing my phones back ground i have already decided on one but i just dont think it looks good need help pls xx
>>
semi or fully automatic bb gun, a grassy knoll, and an newly-found interest in astronomy...get ready for some all-nighters.
>>
>>1064597
Damnit anon, OP is trying to deter a petty thief, not assassinate the president of the Squirrel Republic!
>>
File: welcome to 'K'anada.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
welcome to 'K'anada.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>1064597
>bb gun
>for humans

I think you mean "a .223 rifle"
>>
File: 11589572_f520[1].jpg (30KB, 520x346px) Image search: [Google]
11589572_f520[1].jpg
30KB, 520x346px
>>1064715
>I think you mean "a .223 rifle"
Maybe not.
>>
File: IMG_1154[1].jpg (29KB, 800x605px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1154[1].jpg
29KB, 800x605px
>>1064715
Also in rimfire
the red tips compared to 22 short, long-rifle, and magnum
>>
Sleep in the backseat with a handgun, then you can use castle doctrine and kill the fucker.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaster_(flamethrower)
>>
>>1063185
/thread
>>
>>1062990
>get shotgun
>hide and watch car while holding shotgun
>wait for fuckwit to stick head into your vehicle
>rack slide loudly and watch him hit his head on the door as he bjerks upright
>laugh as he runs off trailing urine down his pant leg
>if thief is a nigger, pull the trigger
>>
>>1064486
This would work, if you can get a 110-240 step up transformer it would work better, and hide the cord so they don't realize what's happening.
>>
>>1062990
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7EaJYXpz7Q
>>
He's looking for garage door openers/personal information to sell to burglers. It's relatively low risk for him and he can check them periodically while he roots through your trash when you're gone. If he sets off your house alarm, he can just drop it in the trash. I recommend installing security cameras to catch them in the act, though he will just get a slap on the wrist for your trouble (garage door openers aren't valued high enough to cause serious jailtime). Selling your information to better criminals is an enterprise in itself.
>>
Just rig up an airhorn and have it sound when the door is opened by anybody but you. Also, party poppers, silly string, tar, and feathers. Any combination of those plus the full capacity of the air horn while you catch it on CCTV would be hilarious.
>>
>>1064715
maybe he means, big black ass plug?
>>
>>1063112
Heeere's Johnny!
>>
>>1062990
My older brother had the same problem.

He got his hands on a train horn, rigged it up to the car battery with a ten second delay so anyone opening the passenger door got blasted full volume.

It worked, however the horn drains the battery to dead flat in about 15 seconds
>>
File: pull switch.jpg (293KB, 598x935px) Image search: [Google]
pull switch.jpg
293KB, 598x935px
>>1062990
pull switch(es) to some 12v alarm to the car battery

forest mims pick here shows using screws, but I generally just push some brass thumbtack in and glue to hold in place

of course with this simple design you can't stop the alarm from going off when you open one of the doors
>>
>>1065717
>He got his hands on a train horn, rigged it up to the car battery

>Train horns are operated by compressed air, typically 125-140 psi (8.6-9.6 bar), and fed from a locomotive main air reservoir. When the engineer opens the horn valve, air flows through a supply line into the power chamber at the base of the horn (diagram, right). It passes through a narrow opening between a nozzle and a circular diaphragm in the power chamber, then out through the flaring horn bell. The flow of air past the diaphragm causes it to vibrate or oscillate against the nozzle, producing sound.

>operated by compressed air

>>1065717
>the horn drains the battery to dead flat in about 15 seconds

However, the starter which draws hundreds of Amperes is able to crank the engine for much longer than fifteen seconds.

Hummm....
>>
>>1065804
>File: pull switch.jpg

If you replace the pull tab with an aspirin, you have a water sensor switch.
>>
File: firewaterswitch.jpg (412KB, 597x935px) Image search: [Google]
firewaterswitch.jpg
412KB, 597x935px
>>1065834
or you can put a wax candle to detect fire, when the wax is melted. it's best put the screws on the other side to prevent the wax or aspirin from preventing a good connection
>>
>>1065832
>However, the starter which draws hundreds of Amperes is able to crank the engine for much longer than fifteen seconds.
isn't that only a momentary load? also, as far as i understand the motor charges the battery while running.
>>1065844
>or you can put a wax candle to detect fire, when the wax is melted
wouldn't that be a heat sensor instead?
>>
>>1063263
Better idea:

Dead body mannequin.

Note that says "you're next bitch"

Scare the shit out of the robber, no risk of retaliation.

May even scare them straight.
>>
>>1065971
>isn't that only a momentary load?

It is if the engine starts promptly.
If you have a clunker or are out of fuel it may crank for some time before starting or discharging the battery.

>>1065971
>also, as far as i understand the motor charges the battery while running.
Yes, while it's running. Not while it's cranking.

Have you ever ridden in an automobile?
>>
File: parked-cars.jpg (87KB, 615x409px) Image search: [Google]
parked-cars.jpg
87KB, 615x409px
bro just blockade the door with a chair
>>
Leave your waifu pillow in the car.
>>
>>1062990
>Locked, no damage, they toss everything in the car
First thing I'd want to know is how are they getting into the car in the first place!?

I know a way to unlock most ford focuses without setting off the alarm or doing any damage to the car.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.