[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any machinists on here? I'm looking to buy a 4020 CNC Mill

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 12-mcv50 (1).jpg (27KB, 587x337px) Image search: [Google]
12-mcv50 (1).jpg
27KB, 587x337px
Any machinists on here?

I'm looking to buy a 4020 CNC Mill for my business but I have absolutely no experience with making chips or using a FANUC controller.

I have CAD and CAM knowledge, as well as know how to use a CNC router fairly well for cutting wood, aluminum sheet.

What literature/resources do you guys recommend I go through to learn as much as possible about milling before actually buying a mill?
>>
>>1060735
I plan on reading the CNC Programming Handbook to be able to use and program the FANUC controller that I have absolutely no experience with.
>>
>>1060738
As an intro to machining, I plan on reading Machining Fundamentals. It seems to have a good reputation as a intro on the topic of machining.
>>
>>1060740
forgot pic.

With the mill I plan on beginning with cutting mostly aluminum parts and doing small scale production.

I thought about getting the Tormach PCNC 1100 but after adding all the options (ATC, Controller, Enclosure) which I'd like to have on a CNC the price is a lot closer to a used 4020 mill like the Samsung MCV-50 in OP. I'd also rather not be stuck with Tormach TTS tooling when it's time to buy a CAT40 machine.
>>
>>1060735
Not a machinist, but have had a bit of experience with FANUC controllers, and I don't want to see this thread die, so here's what I know.

FANUC motors and drives are pretty much bulletproof, If you get thrown an error, suspect everything else first.
For the love of god, keep the electrical enclosure clean from chips. This is the only thing I've seen kill the drives and it's very ugly and very expensive.
You'll want the alarm manual on hand for any messages you get, It'll solve your problem maybe half the time, which is better than nothing.
Don't read the FANUC manuals unless you absolutely have to. They're hundreds of pages long and unbelievably dry.

Out of curiosity, is that a 15i?
>>
>>1060774
Thanks for the input.
Yeah I quickly realized that reading the controller's manual probably isn't the best way of going about it.

The FANUC controller in that machine is an Oi-MD, very similar to the 30i controllers.
>>
>>1060742
Tormach TTS tooling just uses an R8 adapter, but I see your point of having invested in their holders that won't keep their value for you.
>>
>>1060783
That said,
I have no experience with the FANUC control, but if you can't get it figured out, I wouldn't put Tormach out, its a smaller machine, but they offer exceptional support. And it will be hard to give up one good working machine just because you bought another, usually you just add to the collection.
>>
>>1060735
Man, this is not necessarily something easily jumped into directly via self learning. I would consider looking up your local CC and see if they have some machining classes. Would be helpful to learn a little manual machining to learn some general machining principles. Machining is a pretty complicated and deep field.

I learned how to operate the FANUC controller by being trained on a couple machines at work. I'm not exactly sure what can substitute. A CC class doesn't necessarily have a machine with a FANUC controller (it is a pretty common controller and all but it's not guaranteed. My CC only had Haas and Okuma controllers). Luckily, though the specific button pushes and such would be different, the principles behind each machine control are the same. So frankly, get good with one, and it carries over.
>>
>>1060742
>Tormach
fuck no. Tormach makes garbage tier machines even by hobbyist standards.

get a used akira seiki.
>>
Learn g code

Fanuc is nice shit but expensive as hell to repair. They offer free tech support (which is geared towards selling replacement parts rather than fixing any component)

It will also be hard as hell to do any mods like adding additional axis (without buying expensive as hell fanuc parts) or adding 3d printer ability.
>>
Depending on how much time you want to spend on learning . I do recommend taking a class you will learn the basics and even do some programing , but keep in mind that every company has theirs own little loops and hooks in programing. But even after the classless it will take you quite some before you will be able to use it normally
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.