[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have an extremely rusted WW1 trench knife of my great grandfathers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

File: patina.jpg (99KB, 599x600px) Image search: [Google]
patina.jpg
99KB, 599x600px
I have an extremely rusted WW1 trench knife of my great grandfathers and ive sanded down all of the rust but now theres a load of black stains on it and I dont know what they are. Obviously rust related stains.

The knife is still sturdy and sharp, is it possible to put a patina on it and paint over the blade with a rust eating metal paint? Will the patina be visible if I use silver paint?

thanks
>>
File: e9d.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
e9d.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
1. post a pic of said knife
2. pic related
>>
File: IMG120948567.jpg-original.jpg (52KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG120948567.jpg-original.jpg
52KB, 640x480px
>>1056170
Why would I lie about this
>>
>>1056173
Because it makes certain people here very angry.
>>
>>1056173
post a close up of the black spots under strong 45 degree light source
>>
File: 0917161301.jpg (162KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
0917161301.jpg
162KB, 960x1280px
>>1056173
you should never have sanded. get a buffer with an abrasive nylon wheel, a brass wire wheel, and then buffing compound. if you sent it to me i woulda made that nigre shine like a mirror and i woulda done it for like $20 plus shipping. i guess at this point just try some metal polish and that should buff the black. you probably scuffed the schidt out of the blade with the sandpaper though.
>>
>>1056168
why restore it? it's a piece of history
just get another knife and pass that one down to your son to hold onto
>>
>>1056168
>sanded down all of the rust
You just destroyed a piece of valuable WW1 relic
>>
>>1056248

Muh unrestored authenticity.

If it goes on his mantle then the only value it has is the one from his perspective.
>>
Looks like standard pitting left by rust. Wire brushing would clean them out. After that a nice wax or oil coating will keep it safe.
>>
>>1056245
>>1056248

When I say sand down all the rust I mean an inch thick cover of rust

I want it to become functional once more before I pass it on

He also passed a Gurkha kukri down to me
>>
>>1056600
>an inch thick of rust
it would have been more valuable with the rust on

>kukri
dont do anything stupid now, just make a box and store it as family heirloom
>>
>>1056603
So, how valuable is a WW1 era trench knife which is rusted to hell and back?
>>
>>1056606
more valuable than a WW1 era trench knife which is rusted to hell and back but is sanded down by a nobody and the metal is all scratched up
>>
>>1056610
>sanded down by a nobody
I'm the OP and I didn't even ask the question but why you gotta get personal lad? The metal will be fine with a bit of buff and polish and I don't want to sell it, I plan on making it a family heirloom. This increases its functionality and personal value to me.
>>
>>1056612
Why u take offense? It means what it means, someone who /diy/ sands off the rust is the worst way to restoring it, at least use chemicals and not sandpaper if you want to preserve it, now the entire surface is ruined and you will never see the original finish again
>>
All the things that knife has seen, the lives it has saved and the lives it has taken.

Scratched to shit.
>>
>>1056610

Even if he used 80 grit the scratches don't represent a significant amount of metal to get it to a mirror shine. Just a bit of work.
>>
>>1056173
That there son is pitting... If you can sandblast it. It will restore to bare shiny metal. A dremel with one of those bullshit buffing pads and buffing compound will get the darkness out aswell.
>>
OP you can sandblast this thing and or buff it back to mirror - but you're removing metal in those processes.

If you just want to remove the rust - electrolysis is a fine method for a sympathetic restoration.

As you've already taken sandpaper to this blade - I suppose sympathy / care has gone out of the window though so idk..
>>
File: image.jpg (226KB, 1992x1494px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
226KB, 1992x1494px
What a mint condition looks like

Austrian trench knife
>>
File: IMG_0046.jpg (23KB, 322x279px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0046.jpg
23KB, 322x279px
>>1056615
Dumbass detected.

Listen kid, anyone can restore this thing with a bit of elbow grease. OP can do whatever the fuck he wants, don't be such a tit. This is /diy/ not /v/.
>>
>>1056874
you are the dumbass here, if you don't know anything about knifes then stfu with your meaningless fuckery
>>
>>1056879
I know it's written 'knives'.
>>
>>1056885
And you are the problem here, just stfu
>>
>>1056860

Mint condition electro-etched.
>>
>>1056173
it's just pitted. that's rust in tiny dents more or less. You could just apply some rust remover or use a wire brush to handle that. Also of note, I think your handle is cocobolo. You might treat it with lemon oil.
>>
File: 20160918_231553.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160918_231553.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Don't mind me. Best WWI trench knife coming through.
>>
>>1057013
>not even sanded down to bare metal
gtfo
>>
Try some evaporust.
If that doesn't get it all I'm not sure what the deal is.
>>
>>1056603
he wants to use it not sell it, you faggot
>>
>>1056615

>you will never see the original finish again

Bruh. The original finish had long since gone since the first dot of oxidation appeared or from the first chip grandpappy gave it when he dropped it while cleaning his nails.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.