[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here ever build their own cable modem? After the standard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (33KB, 480x281px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 480x281px
Anyone here ever build their own cable modem?

After the standard drama with Comcast, I'm at the point where I want to circumvent as much of their equipment as possible.

Don't get me wrong- I don't want to do anything illegal. I'm happy to pay whatever subscription fee I have to for Internet access. I just want to build my own equipment; something that's actually stable. So I'm willing to cannibalize what I need to from their modem for the MAC address. Thinking that, plus soldering iron, plus a research, plus Radio Shack equals fun weekend project.

Am I dreaming too big, /diy/?
>>
>>1055347
>After the standard drama with Comcast, I'm at the point where I want to circumvent as much of their equipment as possible.

You're not going to be able to build one. NO, NOT GONNA HAPPEN. NOT A CHANCE. NOPE.

Clear enough for you?

Buy one for $60
>>
>>1055371
Why not?
>>
>>1055405
>Because, current year.
Is your miiddle name Cisco?
No? then STFU you pole smoking retard.
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 200x313px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 200x313px
>>1055411
>doesn't know how to do something

>"ITS IMPOSSIBLE"
>>
fairly certain the knowledge and processes needed to manipulate and direct data traffic is much more than you can do in a weekend, much less learn if you arent already an expert in computer engineering and reverse engineering of predesigned tech since im sure their modems build isnt open source
>>
File: QpYHMe1[1].jpg (36KB, 319x500px) Image search: [Google]
QpYHMe1[1].jpg
36KB, 319x500px
>>1055425
>not the much-improved-ending 2nd Edition

OK, with a team of 20-30 dedicated Chinese Coders & Engineers, a clean lab, a couple of mill in development, a few years spare, a 620-page textbook only vaguly related to the subject at hand, an old Hoover attachment and a following south-east breeze, it MAY be possible to build your own cable rooter from scratch. Would it prove any better than what you could ebay Buy Now! for $20 (and fuck right off with $60)? - probably not, no. Would it even work with Comcasts (or anyone elses) shit? Hell, no. But you can just build your own cable network to run your contraption on, amirite?

Possible ≠ Viable. And this one aint even close.
>>
You can buy your own.

You literally cannot bulid your own because you're not a member of the relevant standard boards and your DIY open source shit will never get approved.

If you call comcast to activate your service they'll be all 'that's not an approved device' and tell you to buy something from the store. All you need is to get a docsis version compatible with your local equipment and speed you want, and listed as okay by comcast so they can push firmware upgrades to it.
>>
>>1055425
Just start own ISP and cut through all the crap
>>
>>1055347
All these people are full of shit.

I worked for an isp that had some cable modem operations for a number of years, most cable companies take security for this kinda shit as a joke but it would be possible to do what your wanting to do even if they followed best practices.

You will need an sdr (software defined radio (need both rx and tx ability)) that can do 256 qam at 700-900 mhz. (if your isp is offering actual gigabit speeds you may need the ability to do 4096-QAM but this is rare)

Most ISP's are still using 56-bit DES, some are running 128-bit AES. When using AES ISP's have the ability to require devices to have a key signed by a third party authority and assigned by the manufacturer, this is rare but possible. If it is the case you would need to hack into a router that has a signed key and steal it, there are several ways to do this easiest would be to find a way to root it but you can also sniff it or read it off the flash directly.

If I wanted to do this I could have something hacked together in a couple weeks. For an extra few thousand in gpu's and a month or two I would be able to intercept and spoof traffic from other people in my neighborhood (assuming 56-bit DES was used)
>>
>>1055513

This. The DOCSIS standard is hardly secret stuff. It's literally just a matter of puttimg the effort in.
>>
>>1055513
>4096-QAM
Wouldn't that take some ridiculous SNR? I thought DOCSIS 3 was OFDM over a wider bandwidth.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.