[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moving in with my grandparents and the room they have has a shitty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: hqdefault[1].jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
14KB, 480x360px
Moving in with my grandparents and the room they have has a shitty carpet, to hide what I'm assuming is shitty flooring. I've never done anything like this in my life but am willing to learn. How much of a pain would it be to get rid of the old carpet, and old flooring (idk what it's called) and replace it with some nice vinyl plank flooring or something like that?

My main concern is that it's an old building they're renting in, and idk if I can even do this. And if I can, is it even worth the trouble?
>>
>>1055118
>renting
>never done this
>get rid of flooring for no reason at all

Stop right fucking there, you need to ask your landlord first. Also, you can just put the new flooring on top of the carpet.
>>
>>1055120
>Also, you can just put the new flooring on top of the carpet.
This is a joke right?
>>
Buy a rug.
>>
>>1055121
What makes you think that is a joke?
>>
If your grandparents say it is okay, it is a matter of tearing up the carpet, and hauling it away.

You may need to remove tack strips from around the perimeter of the room.

Vinyl planks can be installed on top of any solid flooring. It is a floating floor, meaning it is not held down by anything other than gravity.

Since it is your grandparents, why not get nice carpet professionally installed? It will only cost you a few hundred dollars and will make it nice for you when you live there and nice for them when you move out.
>>
>>1055118

Putting down laminate is easy, you'll want to have at least a jigsaw though.

If it's a shortpile carpet you can put the laminate on top. It's not much difference from the soft damping stuff you normally put underneath, just put one of the thin foam underlays on top.
>>
>>1055127
his granparents are renting the place tho
>>
>>1055118
>renting

aaaaand there's the answer
>>
>>1055125
it just seems wrong. I guess it's not. I guess the first thing i need to do is ask the landlord.
>>
>>1055127
>>1055135
plus youtube videos about vinyl or laminate (your preference)
/thread
>>
>>1055163
It's fine as long as it's sort pile like offices use, otherwise you'll have a weird squishy laminate that will likely warp and look just as bad as your shitty carpet
>>
>>1055118
>renting
Even if you have the landlord's permission, they can still decide to charge you for it's removal after the lease is up.
>>
File: 0404.jpg (20KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
0404.jpg
20KB, 480x480px
Hey man take it from me NEVER do any DIY for old people. They won't appreciate that shit at all.

Last year I went to my 97 year old neighbours house. Whilst there I noticed his bird feeder was falling apart. I asked him if I could repair it and he agreed, so I did - I made a fucking nice birdhouse, with a great space for birds and plenty of area.

You know what this old prick did?
He fucking sat by the birdhouse every day for 4 months and took note of every bird that came by. He wrote down its emotional state upon entering and leaving the birdhouse. He even took pictures of some of their faces with his camera and had them developed and spent literally 4 hours pointing out how I made the birds upset, and that he wanted me to destroy the birdhouse and he would buy a 'real one'. He even showed me a video of himself trying to destroy my birdhouse with a hammer. cheeky cunt hd the nerve to accuse it of being too well built.

fucking old people don't appreciate shit. they just nitpick
>>
>>1055218

is this copy pasta ?
>>
>>1055227
It is now
>>
>>1055141
Missed that. If the carpet is truly terrible and you live in a first world country, they are required to replace it.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.