[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you lay a concrete slab? I'm tired of moving my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1473785498797.png (135KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1473785498797.png
135KB, 900x900px
How do you lay a concrete slab?

I'm tired of moving my boat every weekend in the yard when I mow so grass doesn't grow tall under it and invite all sorts of critters into my boat. My shed/workshop is on a concrete slab. How would I go about extending it? I've called some companies that do it and it seems way too expensive. What could it cost to lay say a 14x28 slab? Would it be cheaper to just lay gravel?
>>
Gravel is much cheaper, but the concrete will look better. You will wanna put expansion grooves in it. I don't care what your friends tell you, if you do not get the expansion grooves it will crack and look like crap. You can go to home depo or lows. They will help you get an idea of how many bags pre square foot. I would at least watch some Youtube videos. If you wanna make it look really good you can buy molds and dyes and make it look like stone. But I would understand if that is not in your budget.
>>
>>1054689

Unless you want to make a gigantic slab (10+ meters long) you don't need expansion joints.
>>
>>1054679

Why not just put down tiles?
>>
>>1054689

I agree with this anon's suggestion for gravel.

If you ever decide to sell the boat or whatever, gravel is a hell of a lot easier to remove. Also a hell of a lot cheaper. If your main gripe is tending to grass, just throw down some gravel. Crush n run if you can find it.
>>
>be anon

that's about one full truck of concrete if it's 6 inches thick. Assuming you don't need a pumper truck that'd cost you around $600 where i live.

>look into is building permits.

So..

>Dig out the area where you want the slab 6" deeper than you need. Then set up your perimeter formwork using 2x6's or 2x8s (look online and copy concrete footing forms). Make sure they're level, plumb, square and straight.

>lay down 6" crushed stone and compact the stone.

>buy "zip strip" for the expansion joints.

You'll need 3 people minimum for the pour (5 if you mix your own concrete) one person raking and two people screeding the concrete along the top of the forms with a 16' 2x4.

>rent bull float or a power trowel for a mint finish. Place zip strips.

All said and done should cost 2-3kilo dollars
>>
File: IMG_20160817_193459[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160817_193459[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1054739
I don't get it? Don't you all have a 23ton excavator on your yard to do the stuff your puny arms can't do?
>>
>>1054932
>>1054932
And where I live 7,5m^3 of concrete costs 700-900 euros. At 200mm slab you get 5m^2 per m^3. Ad mind you, the price for the concrete did include a pump truck (in our case a huge thing with a 43m long hose on a huge hydraulic arm) and a concrete truck. It depends where you live.

Digging up the soil is a pain. But it depends on your climate how deep you need to go. I'd just use my excavator... Then put fabric in between the planet and the gravel.Otherwise Earth will mix with your gravel and that's a Bad Thing. Compacting is important. Gravel (0mm-16mm, and you need the zero fraction, otherwise it will move!) costs 14€/tonne here. And its about 1,5tonnes per cubic meter, approx 20€/m^3, including transport.
So you can extrapolate the price as soon as you know how deep of a layer you need in your climate (colder -> thicker).
All in all quite a simple job. Have friends available when pouring (more=better, it will take a few hours for the concrete to set so no need to worry too much) and remember that you don't want to have water lying on your slab, make it so that it will run off.
>>
>>1054679
>be anon

that's about one full truck of concrete if it's 6 inches thick. Assuming you don't need a pumper truck that'd cost you around $600 where i live.

>look into is building permits.

So..

>Dig out the area where you want the slab 6" deeper than you need. Then set up your perimeter formwork using 2x6's or 2x8s (look online and copy concrete footing forms). Make sure they're level, plumb, square and straight.

>lay down 6" crushed stone and compact the stone.

>buy "zip strip" for the expansion joints.

You'll need 3 people minimum for the pour (5 if you mix your own concrete) one person raking and two people screeding the concrete along the top of the forms with a 16' 2x4.

>rent bull float or a power trowel for a mint finish. Place zip strips.

All said and done should cost 2-3kilo dollars
>>
dig a hole the size you want then pour concrete in it
>>
A rough average of concrete per yard is right around $100, a tandem dump truck of 3/4 limestone gravel is around $150 for about 15 tons but that can vary according to where you live.

The material for your slab is relatively cheap, as it is for most concrete work. The expensive part of concrete projects is labor. Digging, spreading gravel, compacting gravel, setting forms, placing concrete, finishing concrete, stripping forms.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.