[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am selling my house and the buyer that I am in contract with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (130KB, 688x553px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
130KB, 688x553px
I am selling my house and the buyer that I am in contract with is being a complete pain in the ass. During their inspection, they asked that I hire an electrician to fix my grounding electrode. I said fuck that and did it myself (6 gauge continuous solid copper wire running to the copper water supply line within 5 feet of entry to the house). I did more than they asked. It's up to code. They still want an electrician to look at it and tell me what I did was exactly what he would do. How much can I expect to pay to call up an electrician to come look at it and give me a piece of paper saying it's right?
>>
>>1054209
Too much unless you have an in with someone, I'd say on the low end it would be $45-65
>>
>>1054209
>tfw this isn't allows for meter boxes where I live and I have to buy and hammer into the ground SIX 8-feet long copper-jacketed steel rods and wire them up using 4AWG.

I had to angle them kinda sharply because the ground is uber compacted clay and nothing wants to go further than 4 feet down.
>>
>>1054209
Are they yanking your chain? That is petty stuff to be worrying about when buying a house. If it was a foundation problem then yeah I'd ask the owner about getting it fixed professionally before buying it. But, grounding wires to the box? Ha!
>>
>>1054289
Took me a couple hours, using a ladder even, to hammer in my 8 footer- also on god forsaken clay.
Electric company came out, plugged in an electric jackhammer to their truck and had the 8 footer installed in about 15 seconds.

Home depot rents the electric jackhammer BTW (I didn't have electricity yet or a generator).

OP, if buyer is being this anal, it won't stop with that. Does he have any other issues yet?
>>
>>1054289
>nothing wants to go further than 4 feet down
current year - not knowing how to cut ground rod in half...
>>
>>1054209
Walk away from his bullshit offer. That's not a real contingency, and his inspector didn't bring out a fucking earth megger to check how good your ground actually is. Your. House was almost certainly grounded before, his inspector is just an idiot.
>>
>>1054209
What is the contract? Can you charge them for the electrician as its after contract, basicly are they trying to make you pay for shit they would end up paying for otherwise?
>>
>>1054354
Ooh I know. Make a bet with him. Say you'll pay for an electrician to come out and do am earth resistance test. If it's not up to standards, then you'll pay for a remedy. If it is, he has to pay for the test.
>>
File: 6472-500.jpg (44KB, 391x500px) Image search: [Google]
6472-500.jpg
44KB, 391x500px
>>1054503
Pic related. An earth resistance tester is a big box and you might need a commercial electrician or lightning rod installer to even find a guy that had one.

You can't just clip a multimeter on there and get a meaningful number.
>>
>>1054354
It was grounded to an old, untested steel water line. It was probably fine for a ground, problem was the wire was kind of dangling (as much a 6 gauge can "dangle"). The wanted it put into conduit, but I just ran a whole new wire to the copper water supply, going above what they even asked for. I would have backed out already, but I haven't had any other offers.
>>
>>1054306
Either you're implying OP shouldn't follow code or your reading at a 2nd grade level.
>>
OP here

I just had an electrician come out and look at what I did. He said it wasn't up-to-code. He said that in addition to the 6 gauge wire I ran to the water supply line, I also needed two grounding rods installed. To be frank, I don't think he knows the code even though he was looking right at 250.52 in the NEC 2014. It says that underground water supply lines can be used if they run more than 10 ft under the Earth (length, not depth), are metal, and are bonded to within the first 5 feet of the entrance to the house. He also said that my grounding wire was short, which I also think is BS because there is a jumper cable bypassing the water meter, and the grounding wire ends about two feet above it (within the 5 foot threshold according to the code).
>>
File: SEAL_carrying_outboard_engine.jpg (852KB, 796x1200px) Image search: [Google]
SEAL_carrying_outboard_engine.jpg
852KB, 796x1200px
Alright young man, let me tell you what's really going on here.

Your dumb cunt buyer knows dick all about anything, and chances are his "home inspector" learned everything he knows about buildings and construction during a 2 week course whereupon completion he was granted a certificate and is now participating in the exciting new field of home inspection!1!!!1!1

And the electrician is likely just trying to sell you his services. Whether they are needed or not. Because that's how he puts food on his table.

If you have read the codes and are pretty sure you are right, call out another electrician (or two) and get some more opinions.
>>
>>1054209
Uhhh... tell them to hire one or fuckoff?
>>
>>1054582
Can you take a pic of your current install for /diy/?

This anon is correct >>1054503 you should have a megger test performed by an electrician. I'm assuming the guy you brought in
a) Didn't do a megger test
b) Is telling you that you "need" to add grounding rods because that's how he usually does things, and he'd rather just charge you for doing that instead of having to think a bunch about other possible code-compliant solutions (like having a water line run underground for a certain length and using it as the grounding electrode).
>>
>>1054582
Check your state electrical code anon. The NEC isn't law and states typically make some revisions when adopting it as law.
>>
OP here

I think I was wrong, I didn't see this until now

(D) Metal Underground Water Pipe. If used as a grounding electrode, metal underground water pipe shall meet the requirements of 250.53(D)(1) and (D)(2).
(1) Continuity. Continuity of the grounding path or the bonding connection to interior piping shall not rely on water meters or filtering devices and similar equipment.
(2) Supplemental Electrode Required. A metal underground water pipe shall be supplemented by an additional electrode of a type specified in 250.52(A)(2) through (A)(8). If the supplemental electrode is of the rod, pipe, or plate type, it shall comply with 250.53(A). The supplemental electrode shall be bonded to one of the following:
(1) Grounding electrode conductor
(2) Grounded service-entrance conductor
(3) Nonflexible grounded service raceway
(4) Any grounded service enclosure
(5) As provided by 250.32(B)
Exception: The supplemental electrode shall be permitted to be bonded to the interior metal water piping at any convenient point as specified in 250.68(C)(1), Exception
>>
>>1054644
Holy shit! Admitting you were wrong on the interwebs. I heard it was possible, I just never thought i'd see it.
>>
>>1054290

They're not. They more than likely have no fucking clue. OPs buyers have a stickler for a home inspector.
>>
>>1054582

Did your state adopt NEC (2014)? If so, any revisions?

I deal with codes everyday. Every state is different but basically find your state minimum life/fire safety standards and then move towards your county and then city. More than likely your state standards will be all that is required but occasionally the county and cities will have requirements. Learn who the AHJ (authority having jurisdiction) is and learn what they reference. Usually a fire marshal.

But yeah, just picking the most current code book means fuck all. Until 2014, Georgia was using NFPA 80, 1999 edition, and NFPA 101, 2000 edition for their life safety codes, for example.
>>
>>1054209
Tell them to pay for the inspection.
>>
>>1054757
It's kind of hard to tell, but it seems like my state did adopt 2014 since there is a presentation on the department of commerce website detailing parts of it.
>>
File: water meter.png (118KB, 435x370px) Image search: [Google]
water meter.png
118KB, 435x370px
>>1054634
I don't have a picture available and it's at a house I don't live in, but this is how it is configured. To be clear, the grounding electrode conductor is terminated within the five feet that is required.
>>
>>1054289
I always get mad and end up cutting a foot or so off those things. Then you just put on your acorns and mushroom the tops, you're set.
>>
>>1054648
Shhhhh.
Other boards will hear you.
Imagine if this got back to /k/.…..
>>
>>>1054772
I would still think you would be grandfathered in under the old code. For some codes it would be impossible to meet current code. For instance most house around me are probably at least 80 years old. So the idea of no lead paint and no asbestos is a joke.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.