[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/, quick question: I recently bought hand wood router

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

Hey /diy/, quick question: I recently bought hand wood router with bits like on the picture and started making a guitar without template (and ofc I fucked it up a bit, but nvm). The problem is: all of those bits on the picture have bearing on the bottom, but I need one on the top; is it possible to change the position of the bearing or do I need to buy completely different bit that has bearing on the top?
>>
yes you can buy different bearings, though i would suggest you look up how to use a router, a router table, make a diy router table and for the love of god i hope you have more then 1hp on your router trying to do this
>>
File: DSC_6280.jpg (59KB, 480x279px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_6280.jpg
59KB, 480x279px
Yep, you need bit with bearing on top, pic related.
Some are "modular", so taht you can move the bearing, but they are very expensive.
Do not buy a set (you already have one) just buy the bit you need, and choose good quality ones.
>>
>>1054112
>is it possible to change the position of the bearing

no
>>
>>1054112
Just put a bushing on your router
>>
Whats some good brands of bits for a router?

I keep getting the cheapo ones then terrible things and burning happens.
>>
Freud router bits. If its burning make lighter cuts and more passes. Freaking cherry burns nearly every damn time, maple is a close second
>>
File: serveimage_002.jpg (24KB, 450x303px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage_002.jpg
24KB, 450x303px
>>1054127
this

google 'router guide bushing'
you probably don't need bearings on top
>>
>>1054153
There's a small offset with this method?
>>
File: p_SDW_150_07.jpg (47KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
p_SDW_150_07.jpg
47KB, 360x360px
>>1054374
It depends on the cutter and guide used but generally, yes.
The offset is allowed for in the template used.
I have a small router with a guide and bit (1/16" offset) I keep assembled for cutting door hinge mortise.
I have a 4: and 3-1/2" just like pic related and have been using them for ~25 years.

Since the router depth of cut is preset (I leave it assembled) all I have to do is:
1) measure for location
2) attach template with small brads
3) insert router and cut mortise
4) go back to 1) until done
>>
>>1054112
>I need to buy completely different bit that has bearing on the top?
http://www.precisionbits.com/template-trim/
Template bits
>>
File: $_1[1].jpg (36KB, 400x383px) Image search: [Google]
$_1[1].jpg
36KB, 400x383px
>>1054427
>Neighbor used to be a carpenter
>He retired when Reagan was still in office
>I ask him to rebuild a door for me
>Exterior door, solid wood, 70 years old
>Years of abuse from previous owners have ruined the hinges and stripped out the screw holes
>Weight has probably double because of layers of paint over what was once a stained wood door
>He says "the door I can work with, the frame is crap"
>He goes to the lumber yard, comes back with wood, not a pre-hung door
>In the span of an hour he strips out the old frame and cuts and fits the new one
>Only tools used are a hand saw, a hammer, a plane, and some chisels
>Over a weekend he refinishes the door and finishes up the frame
>Next weekend he comes to hang the door
>Stripped back to bare wood and stained again, looks nice
>The only power tool I see him use comes out, old Rockwell Model 100 router (picture from eBay)

He routes out all the mortises for the hinges and strike plates by hand, without using a template. Final clean up is done with a wide chisel. Took about 15 minutes to hang the door from measuring to installing the locks. Some of the best work I've ever seen. He hasn't worked a day in 30 years, retired when he was in his early 50s. Now I know why.
>>
Turn you're shit over
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.