[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best way to glue polypropylene to itself? I know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 7100.jpg (9KB, 214x214px) Image search: [Google]
7100.jpg
9KB, 214x214px
What's the best way to glue polypropylene to itself? I know that this shit is really hard to glue to, but this is a low stress application.

Intent: I have a bunch of VHS cassette cases that I use for storing screws and shit. I want to glue the back part so shit won't spill out.
>>
Hot melt glue
or
soldering iron in corner to melt and 'weld' it together
>>
I've used hot glue (High temperature stuff, low temp stuff just cracks off) with a lot of success (was using an old VHS cassette case to make an arduino case), I needed a lot of force to take it apart again later.
>>
use rubber bands instead?
>>
>>1054083
>>1054084
I only have a shitty Walmart low temp glue gun. This might be an excuse to spring for a decent glue gun.

>>1054086
They crack over time. This isn't a horrible idea. Maybe I'll use zipties if I can't glue them.
>>
>>1054087
IIRC I paid £5 for mine, with two temperature settings.
>>
JB Weld PlasticWeld
It spread to create a gap-free bond, filling in all the available space for strong adhesion that just wouldn’t quit, even after we tried desperately to separate the parts. The only downside of PlasticWeld is that it’s a two-part epoxy which must be mixed in equal amounts to form the adhesive, which can get messy. It also sets quite quickly, which can be either a pro or con depending on your project.
>>
>>1054082
Bondic - that shit is amazing.
>>
>>1054082
I for one would drill holes and ziptie it.
>>
>>1054082
I used hot glue on the inside and then HVAC aluminum tape on the outside, must of had those boxes for ten years before upgrading and not one of them broke open.
>>
>>1054082
>What's the best way to glue polypropylene to itself? I know that this shit is really hard to glue to, but this is a low stress application.
>Intent: I have a bunch of VHS cassette cases ......

These are thermoplastic, as far as I've seen. A solution that involves melting them works really well.

Normal glues don't stick very well if at all. The very reason they use these plastics for molding is because these plastics don't stick to anything very well.... they pop right out of the bare-metal molds, even when pumped in as a hot liquid.

You can buy glues made specially for thermoplastics, but it is not glue in the usual sense. It is usually just a 2-part mix that has an exothermic reaction that heats the plastic up enough that it melts and sticks together. So, ya know, it's probably much easier to just melt the shit directly, yourself.

Also: living hinges are only temporary enclosures; they eventually crack through and break off.
Not good for long-term, high-use instances.
>>
Just buy some modeling glue, it melts the plastic together in a way
>>
File: 1464844765172.png (40KB, 590x369px) Image search: [Google]
1464844765172.png
40KB, 590x369px
>>1054082
>>
>>1055161
>"plastic"

Do you have any fucking idea how diverse "plastics" are?
>>
>>1055166
Did he just assume the substance?
>>
>>1054087
you can get a shitty 30 watt (iirc) soldering iron from walmart for less than $10 and do what >>1054083 said.
>>
>>1054090
>JB Weld PlasticWeld
Not on polypropylene.
>>1054272
>Bondic - that shit is amazing.
Not on polypropylene.

The high temp hot glue idea isn't bad.
>>
>>1055168
I'm actually trans-plastic. I use pronouns PP, PE, and LDPE.
>>
>>1054082

Hot glue will work, but you need to heat the surface you're sticking it to in order to make it stick, similar to welding metal or soldering. Try softening the surface with a heat gun, then using hot glue.
>>
>>1055146
Solvent cements like model glue will not work on polypro. It must be welded.
>>
>>1054083
This. Weld it.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.