[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My watch's "glow in the dark" is losing it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: HTB1v_gmNXXXXXaeXFXXq6xXFXXXx.jpg (770KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
HTB1v_gmNXXXXXaeXFXXq6xXFXXXx.jpg
770KB, 3264x2448px
My watch's "glow in the dark" is losing it's strenght. Anyone know how I can make it brighter again?
>>
>>1053548
Shine a light on it.
>>
>>1053548
slather some tritium paint on that bitch
>>
Go outside, it's powered by UV most likely.
It it has tritium in it, if that's the case you're shit out of luck.
>>
>>1053558
why? is that bad?
>>
>>1053552
how would I do that?
>>
>>1053548
Go outside. Those sorts of glow in the dark stuff are generally "recharged" by sunlight.

AFAIK normal lamps like lightbulbs won't do it, it has to be UV light.

>>1053558
Doesn't tritium also regain its glow in sunlight? I thought that's why they use it in gun sights so much instead of other glow-in-the-dark compounds.
>>
>>1053559
Because the price of buying paint + labour price of sourcing and applying it + opening and resealing the watch FACE makes it much more sensible to just buy another shitty watch.

Or you know, get a casio. Those shits last five years of daily light, timer and alarm use between battery changes and will most likely outlast you.
>>
>>1053568
It's a Rolex GMT Master II
>>
>>1053570
That's a really ugly rolex.
>>
>>1053572
I got it for free, so I won't complain.
>>
>>1053570
>Rolex
>not sending it back to fix it

why the fuck
>>
>>1053573
Me neither. I'll never afford one of those (10k??). Still ugly tho.
>>
>>1053574
I'm not willing to pay a bunch of money, I'm not able to afford a Rolex. Maybe I should've included my story in the OP, but fuck it, here it goes. My best friend got murdered about 2 months ago. His family recently reached out to me and said I could search his room and take anything I wanted, as a souvenir. I found this watch, never knew he had it, must've been in the box for at least a year or two.
>>
>>1053576
so you robbed your dead friend

still, your watch should recharge its glow-in-the-dark paint with direct sunlight, and if not, nothing will short of getting it reapplied.
>>
>>1053578
robbed? I got his family's permission, I wouldn't call it robbing, just a memory of him.
>>
>>1053570
On second observation, it's kinda cool. I guess I'm just too used to seeing the knockoffs and lookalikes I immediately associated it with that. It's clear now that the GMT Master line is the real original.

Any idea on the age of the watch? Tritiums half life is like 12 years. Could cost $$$ to get a new watch face, and unless you're Casey Neistat, don't open it up to add your own paint to the face.
>>
many older watches and clocks glowed coz they had radioactive paint in them. back then cancer was less scary than not knowing the time at night.
>>
>>1053598
>older

not from the 60's, dingleberry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium_dials

And cancer regarding those came from the dials being hand painted. And the preferred way to sharpen brushes was to lick them, thus ingesting radioactive paint, meaning osteonecrosis=deadbones.

They glow because there's a crystal that react to the alpha-radiation. Not because the radium itself glows in the dark. That's largely a meme.
>>
File: bone cancer.jpg (139KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
bone cancer.jpg
139KB, 640x640px
>>1053598
>>
You first need to discover which technology is used in this watch to make it glow.
>>
>>1053560
Buy a very small amount of tritium paint.
Apply to watch.
Hope you don't get cancer.
>>
>>1053581
How is it a memory of him when you've just said you didn't even know that he owned it?. You just picked it because its expensive you graverobbing dick.
>>
>>1053548
Likely just tritium, not hard to get.
>>
>>1053646
Next step is get cancer
>>
>>1053659
Hah wow. Prick didn't even take something that reminded him of his murdered friend.what a douche.

Not like his friend was gonna sell it in the afterlife,though.i guess.
>>
>>1053567
Regain its glow? Nigga, tritium glows because it's radioactive
>>
>>1054345
It doesn't. It glows because it's packed with a bunch of phosphorescent dye in the paint/vial

You can't but tritium paint anymore, you can only buy it in sealed vials.

Ops watch is almost certainly not tritium and is just phosphorescent paint that is on literally everything. It does get substantially dimmer after a few years but it was never really usably bright in the first place unless you were just shining a flashlight on it.
>>
You could try doing it n the cheap with some photo luminescent resin; I use it a lot in woodworking projects.
>>
>>1053576
My best friend killed himself a few months ago. I feel your pain anon. As far as the watch goes good luck i guess. U can buy a tritium keychain online and mail it to your house. Illegal in america in that quantity because they are used in bombs or some such? I'd tear the watch apart, mix some tritium with some clear nail polish, and use a toothpick to paint on the dial.
>>
>>1054350
Then you mean it's photoluminescent, as in it absorbs photons and slowly releases them, without any actual radioactive material surrounded by phosphor.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.