[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't people who work at Lowe's/home depot just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20160911_174954.jpg (1MB, 2448x2328px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160911_174954.jpg
1MB, 2448x2328px
Why don't people who work at Lowe's/home depot just go work as carpenters or plumbers or electricians or welders?
>>
Those who can, do.Those who can't, teach.
>they teach you where things are in the store.
>>
retail deosn't require any skills. it worked at deep homo and it's a job and a place for morons. some guys were cool and knew their shit (retired tradesmen doing a part-time job) but everyone else was incompetent as sheepdicks.
>>
>>1053208

Literally 2 hours ago
>Walk up to bored looking 20-something grill
>Hi, where are the hand files?
>WIDE EYE RESPONSE.
>Acts like I just asked her how to deflange an semi autonomous steam-powered rocketcycle, while accounting for centripetal lift
>"UHHH...!"
>calls over other employee
>"Hi, how can I help you sir?"
>Where are the hand files? I was looking by the hammers and chisels, but didn't see them.
>"What do you mean by 'hand file', sir?"
>They're like hard metal files...that you...file with...with your hands.
>"Uhhh. Not sure if we carry anything like that..."
>wat

To their credit, they found them after about 10 minutes. They had some shit tier Huskey's that I picked up, since my needs are pretty minimal for the time being. I swear though, I felt like I was asking for something pretty standard, like nails or screws, and they were reacting like it was some kind of gold-plated specialty item that only Woodcraft or similar would carry.

I've run into one or two employees that seem to be semi-knowledgeable about their sections, lumber, mainly, but anyone who looked under 50 or anything other than white (not trying to be edgy, just had terrible luck with other groups) could barely ID a mop properly.
>>
>>1053208
Being a carpenter takes skills and knowledge of carpentry.
Selling nuts takes no skills and knowledge of where the nuts are.
>>
>>1053208
I work at home depot. I can confirm 90% of employees don't know what the fuck they are doing.
>>
why do people with a relatively easy and well paid retail job in an air conditioned warehouse not just become tradespeople through a process of osmosis?
>>
>>1053256
Why are you people surprised that a minimum wage retail job hires people who don't know shit?
>Hurr durr it's not minimum wage
Faggot 2 dollars above min is minimum wage.
>>
>>1053262
The same way people become rocket scientists why watching space shuttle launches
>>
>>1053274
by coincidence?
>>
>>1053208

>implying trades require zero training, licenses, or certifications
>>
>>1053372
In my state you can do contractor work as long as your boss is certified as a general contractor and the jobs are under $1000

T. My friend is doing exactly that. Also the lady they spoke to about getting their business license told them they can do bigger jobs if they bill it $1000 at a time.
>>
Although it's circumstantial, someone working retail as their be all end all most likely doesn't want to work in general, so learning a skilled job wouldn't even be considered.
>>
>Why do people DIY when they can hire carpenters or plumbers or electricians or welders?
>>
>>1053402
In my State there's almost no licensing requirement for contractors who only do residential, only HVAC guys need to be State authorized for Residential.

Commercial Contractors do have to be State Licensed, and some cities have a contractor "registration" so they can collect tax
>>
>>1053272
Its actually $3 above where I live, but I feel you.
>>
>>1053272
Apprenticeships pay less than minimum wage here for the first couple of years.
>>
>>1053230
this

I thought this was common knowledge, actually. OP is why?
>>
>>1053225
Those that can't teach, point people to the section to find the hardware they need.
>>
Because they're lazy and/or afraid of responsibility. Also because most of them don't know shit about anything.
>>
File: thefuck.gif (248KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
thefuck.gif
248KB, 400x300px
>>1053208
>implying the retards in home depot are in any shape way or form comparable to tradesmen.

Anon, there is a lot more that goes into the trades than knowing the ampacity of 14 wire.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.