[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My calculator's screen suddenly started looking like this,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: unnamed.jpg (50KB, 1363x767px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
50KB, 1363x767px
My calculator's screen suddenly started looking like this, I didn't drop it or anything, it is stored in a cabinet and only I use it. This coincided with me buying and using a linear power supply and an oscilloscope (Rigol DP831 and DS1054Z)

Now, I don't give a fuck about the calculator, but I'm worried about my computer monitor, which is also near the cabinet and both instruments - I'm wondering if they might have anything to do with the calc failing

Is that even possible? Can I measure it somehow? Or was it just a terrible coincidence?
>>
>>1053144
contacts gone bad, take it apart and wipe the rubber strip with alcohol and then put it back
>>
>>1053144
Probably contacts or a ribbon cable gone wonko, like >>1053148 says. It's nothing to do with your oscilloscope or PS, calc would be one of the least EM sensitive things on your desk. Try to fix it by cleaning it inside or get a new one.
>>
File: ig.jpg (301KB, 918x1632px) Image search: [Google]
ig.jpg
301KB, 918x1632px
>>1053148
>>1053150
I already opened it and don't think this shit is serviceable without un-gluing something that can be glued back reliably
Thanks for the other info tho
>>
>>1053154
Ship Casio an email with your pictures, they can probably point you right.
>>
>>1053154
what does the other side of the screen look like?
>>
>>1053160
Like in >>1053144 , the rectangle I'm holding in >>1053154 is the screen itself.
>>
>>1053162
how does the connection look like?
>>
File: img.jpg (652KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
img.jpg
652KB, 1836x3264px
>>1053164
It's black tape, it's basically pristine but fiddling with it makes the screen get better (or worse, like pictured)
I can't use this reliably at work so I'll untape it, retape it, then throw it in the garbage and buy a TI calc
>>
>>1053165
yeah that is where needs cleaning
>>
this will eventually happen to every single calculator that uses adhesive ribbon connectors, coz the glue dries out.
you can make a temporary fix by putting some foam to push the connector down when you close the case, but you just cant trust that to stay fixed.

there are sellers for replacement cables, but the chances of you applying it properly are slim. also, when you can pick up calculators like a TI-83+ for $2 at the thrift store, why bother?
>>
File: im.jpg (253KB, 1013x1800px) Image search: [Google]
im.jpg
253KB, 1013x1800px
>>1053167
>>1053169
desu I wasn't interested anymore but I looked into it
The black tape was only a sort of mechanical support for the lcd, the important part was the ribbon cable which looked in excellent state, but still the glue surely died as >>1053169 says
Re-gluing this by hand would be next to impossible without some serious determination and patience, which I don't have for this calculator since I'm not attached to it

Thanks all
>>
>>1053176

You need to heat the ribbon cable connection and apply pressure. It's fiddly but worth a try if the calculator is completely useless as is.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.