[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi! I'm working to a simple didactic project about sampling.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
Hi!

I'm working to a simple didactic project about sampling.
I'm looking for a one channel 8 bit parallel adc to be clocked by a simple square wave oscillator made with a ne555 or something like. I need a DIP one, and maybe not too expensive, less than 5 $ would be nice.

The idea is to feed the system with a sine wave and show the signal in the different stages, i mean the original sine, the step wave and the result with an oscilloscopede, maybe the digitar form with some led. I really don't want an anti aliasing filter inside the dac, because I want to show the issues of an incorrect sample.

Any suggestion?
>>
this ancient series is still available today. they're designed for 8080 processors, so you'll have to figure out how to drive the RD and WR lines properly. but they're so old that many example builds can be found on the web.
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/adc0804-n.pdf
>>
Your explanation does not make much sense. To begin with, do you want an ADC, a DAC or both? Do you want to show how the ADC works internally and do you want a sample and hold before it? If not, then you usually just feed the (filtered) analog signal to the ADC and out comes the digital results. Not much to see here.

One way to achieve the stepped input followed by 8b conversion would be LF398 + ADC0800. ADC0800 even requires sample and hold to operate properly. If the ADC itself is too much a black box, you can build one from a SAR register, a DAC and a comparator.
If you want to skip the S&H, AD7820 does not need it if the input frequency is less than 7kHz. There are other options too, of course.

If you then want to convert the signal back to analog, something like DAC08 would do the job. It does not have any filters, so you'll get the stepped waveform out and can then filter it to produce the final result.
>>
>>1052126
>http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/adc0804-n.pdf

Thanks for your answer, but I forgot to say that i'd like to keep the project in audio range. It's easier to show and to understand in my opinion.
>>
File: aliasing.png (146KB, 610x379px) Image search: [Google]
aliasing.png
146KB, 610x379px
>>1052133

I just want an ADC, the DAC will be made with a really intuitive resistor ladder and an op amp as a buffer.

My intent is to show the Nyquist Shannon theorem so I don't really want to explain deeply how an adc works, but i want to change the sample rate freely. A simple s&h is pretty easy to build on a breadbord, and i'm already planning to make an oscillator to to clock the ADC, the goal is to change easelly the Nyquist frequency, so this is not really an importa point to chose the ADC.

>If not, then you usually just feed the (filtered) analog signal to the ADC and out comes the digital results. Not much to see here.

Thats what i want. And I also want to skyp the filter, caus i will feed maily sine waves or more complex wave via a digital function generator, so i will add the filter here. The aim is to show aliasing in practice, the reflection of the spectrum ( pic related ) and the importance of the reconstruction filter.

I'm going to read the datasheet of the ADC0800. Ty.
>>
>>1052149
If you want to demonstrate sampling and aliasing only, then there's no need for ADCs and DACs. The sample and hold chip alone (suitably clocked) is enough.
>>
>>1052160

Yeah, that's right. But i prefer to add a dac to avoid any confusion and to show also exactly how quantization works. It might be worth?

Anyway the rough s&h solution is so cheap that could be a plausible. Thanks.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.