[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gabion walls. (Wire fence filled with rocks.) Anyone have experience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

Gabion walls. (Wire fence filled with rocks.)

Anyone have experience with these?

I work at a rock quarry and can get rock at 60% of normal price with free delevery.

Where i live is rocky as fuck. Im talking 2 weeks with a rock bar to put in 10 4x4 posts for a privacy fence. I dont have much frouble digging about 2 feet down though.

My thinking is dig a trench and tamp screenings into it, then instal one of these gabion walls.

Having trouble finding a price or wtf else i need to do this myself.

Any advice or guides?

Need an 8 or 10 foot fence.
>>
>>1051889
They sell glass rock i can us to decorate. If finances allow ive considered a small layer around the top with white led backlighting.
>>
File: images (36).jpg (8KB, 304x166px) Image search: [Google]
images (36).jpg
8KB, 304x166px
>>1051890
>>
Mostly just looking for an affordable setup with minimal work.
>>
>>1051889

reminds me of the military

They look good when the rocks is actually orientated within, rather than just being dumped. Slate looks best.
>>
>>1051917
Yeah, but all i have is processed limestone. And not the good white color. I thought maybe i could make it look good with decoritive thin wood on the outside to make fake wood 4x4 posts and hide the galvanized. Not sure. But its like 8 grand to put up my privacu fence and watch the wind and dogs tear it up. This Habion wall should outlast us all.
>>
>>1051924
8-10 ft tall. You need to check your local ordinances first. Unless you live in the country, most cities mandate a 6' fence maximum height at grade.

If no such rule exists, go for it obviously as tall as you want.

As to decorating I'd go simple and plant vines if they'll take. Ivy is pretty damn tolerant and fill out nicely in the growing seasons. Elsewise some kind of vining fruit will work. I have a 40' long fence that i have runner beans growing on. I always leaves pods on because im sick of seperating the dried beans and it self seeds every year. The other fence is cucumbers
>>
>>1051889

You can grow ivy on it pretty easily if you want, also very cheap way of making a everything proof wall.
>>
>>1051924
>This Habion wall should outlast us all.
Wouldn't the steel cage eventually rust and give out? I know, not for a very long time, but I mean eventually. I just wonder if there aren't ways to add a little extra support without adding too much more to the cost/work.
>>
>>1052006
Just throw in some cement between layers of rock, none will even notice. And if someone comes breaking with iron cutting scissors(I don't know what's their actual name) he will be met to a big surprise. Also as a bonus you can shoot him in the face afterwards.
>>
>>1052061
>Just throw in some cement between layers of rock
this isn't a terrible idea, but I think that using a a bunch of fully mixed up cement is a whole bunch of extra work. I had a similar idea but far more simplified.

My idea was just throwing a few handfuls of dry cement into every layer of stone, and just letting it mix/cure with natural moisture. This wont be anywhere nearly as effective as mortaring every layer. But again, the idea is that just a tiny, fractional bit of cured cement filling the the spaces between stones where ever that cement dust manages to settle. At this level, it's more glue than it is mortar/concrete
>>
>>1051964
Omg. Good idea anon. I can okant grape vines in se ks. They grow pretty good. Let the ivy fill in and then get rid of it as the grapes take over. 0 ordinances around here. Backwoods small town in kansas
>>
>>1052006
I think the losts and wire are galvanized. And youd think ot would rust evenually but idgaf. Im moving withing 5 years. Fucking hate this place. Mostly trying to add value and a descent fence while i live here.
>>
>>1052061
Lol, the tweekers around here go for easy thefts. The 10 foot wall is because i have a 6 foot privacy fence and live on a slight grade. Me being 6 foot i can walk outside and see ALL of my neighbors. Like wtf... plus it should cut down on noise should i choose to entertain guests. Im 30 and we dont get too wild, but it doesnt take much loud music to piss off my old neighbors. And my sister and brother inlaw live accross the street so i dont want them pissed.
>>
>>1052375
The neighbors put up a fence about 50 years ago. I guess that was galvanized. It is mostly not rusted.
>>
>>1052374
I'm the anon you responded to in this post.

DO NOT plant IVY unless you want it to be practically permanent. Once it takes hold it's a fucking nightmare to get rid of. That's why it does so well. It's a veracious weed. It will grow and fill in and turn the wall into a nice green organic looking growth.

But if you intend to plant anything else there other than another variety of Ivy, it will get choked out and die off.

I can't speak as to the grapes though. Questions you need to ask grape experts are:
>Will grapes not only train, but grow on a gabion vertical wall?
>How will they handle the thermal mass if they don't fill out the entire wall's face?

If you're planning on selling the place in a few years I'd just throw some ivy plants on it and don't trim them back for a few years and once a week go out and train the leaders to spread out for maximum coverage
>>
christ, couldnt you people find BIGGER Images to post, rather than those thumbnails?

its a picture for ants.. shit son
>>
File: call of duty diy warfare.jpg (228KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
call of duty diy warfare.jpg
228KB, 1280x854px
>>1051889
theyre very robust and you can build decent structures out of them and some beams for roofing but they look like shit and no matter how nice the rocks you get are or what fancy looking fabric you line the insides with, exposed chicken wire will never not look like shit

have fun with your front yard LITERALLY looking like afghanistan.
>>
>>1051891
>>1051892
That's really fuckin' neato. Probably decently bullet resistant, till the wires all break and let the rocks out... . Probably slows down a car a good bit too.
>>
>>1052793

Wash the rocks, coat the wires, layer colors, lay out patterns, apply greenery

They don't have to look like Hesco's if you put any thought into it.
>>
As a side note to this, what would be the feasibility of building a house out of gabions, obviously using a wooden roof as standard, but using gabions for the walls and such, could be a cheap way to build a house quickly and sturdy
>>
>>1051892
>>1051891
>>1051889

Make sure where you live won't rust the wire out in a week.
>>
>>1051889
some inspo
>>
>>1053544
looks terrible, man
>>
>>1053529
Technically, you could. The thing is, no idea if the insulation would hold up and you'd have a pretty hard time with electrical outlets
>>
File: pot8o.png (457KB, 540x748px) Image search: [Google]
pot8o.png
457KB, 540x748px
>>1051889
I never knew this was a thing. Pretty cool.
>>
>>1053693
I'm thinking more 'inna woods' house, surely if you pack with both rocks and earth it should be quite well insulated, and as others have pointed out as well, with a covering of some type of plant matter you should be quite warm and toasty
>>
>>1053715
If only the Irish had known.
>>
>>1052390
Grape expert here.
Temperature of that concrete mass will affect the grapes more than the vines. Even if its a south facing wall grapes can be trained to scale it. If you're talking phoenix Arizona heat then you'll have to leaders for the vines to climb up that are offset from the concrete a few inches to protect new shoots- but after that they'll be fine.
OPs zone would tell me more.
Also depends on what he wants to do with the grapes- for wine you actually want less water content than what you buy in the store to snack on.
Some of the best wines created were from borderline drought years.

Grapevines will get massive over the years. If left on their own or trained to be large you can make a tree trunk.
If you want something that grows quickly every season then dies off, think morning Glory's or hummingbird vines.

I personally only plant something that's multi-beneficial.
I won't plant a "shade" tree unless it also provides food (at least for some creature).
>>
>>1053796
Afterthought:
You could grow grape vines that would hold the gravel together after the wire has rusted away.
Grapevines will easily live 50+ years.
>>
>>1053584
It's got a certain brutalist charm to it but it's out of place in that farmyard.

I'm more worried by how thin the damn thing is. It'll still be quite heavy and easy to push over due to the small base.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.