[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /diy/. Has anyone worked with acoustic speakers? I have a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1473430177740798445244.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
1473430177740798445244.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
Hi /diy/. Has anyone worked with acoustic speakers? I have a pair of old Marantz (pic related) and I would like to repair them (starting with the woofer's suspensions) but being new to diy I don't know if it's worth the time and the costs. Any advice?
>>
>>1051668
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marantz-HD-440-HD-55-HD-550-L-35-8-Woofer-Parts-Foam-Speaker-Repair-Kit-FSK-8-/130669585387

do you even google?
>>
>>1051716
I know it's possible to change them smartass, I'm asking if it's worth the time and money because the speakers are roughly 30 years old and I am inexperienced
>>
>>1051750
Are you capable of deciding for yourself?
>>
>>1051756
Yes, I will decide for myself eventually, I just hoped some kind anon who has worked with speakers before could suggest me, maybe it's easy to screw up or there are some internal parts that need to be checked before spending time or money for nothing
>>
>>1051768
well, its 20 fucking bucks to repair it... its already broken, and if you google shit instead of asking on here like an idiot who cant take care of himself, you would see they are fairly well regarded speakers.
>>
>>1051668
you lost any right to be taken seriously when you said "acoustic speakers." What the fuck other kinds of speakers are there?

To answer your question, big old speakers sound great. I don't want to be some audiophile fool that claims they're magical, but they're at very least on par with some really expensive modern speaker setups so long as they're connected to a decent amplifier and source. A re-foam kit like what was already posted is probably far cheaper than a brand new set of competing-quality speakers. It's just a matter of whether you have the patience to do it and how much you value your time and effort, which is not something anyone else can answer for you.
>>
>>1051852
>you lost any right to be taken seriously when you said "acoustic speakers."
Yeah that was a translation error, sorry.

Anyway my question wasn't about the suspensions but more about the internal components, whether I should change some of them or how to understand if they are broken or not, I should have explained myself better
>>
Audio guy here ,from the looks of it you're trying to repair a pair of Marantz HD545 speakers.
Sadly yours are already no longer original ,the woofers look like they have been replaced.
Unless they are a decent replacement like a pair of jbl's or other Marantz i would just look on ebay for a pair of the original woofers.
Also unless the crossovers inside are damaged you shouldn't replace any of the parts of the crossover,most of the speakers i worked on still had great sounding filters for their age.
>>
>>1051858
Speakers are very simple devices. So long as they move when you plug them in, it's unlikely that anything needs replacing besides the foam. The only "internal components" are a permanent magnet and a coil of wire. The magnet can be considered indestructible relative to the rest of the device, and the coil can be checked with an ohmmeter. If it's a 8 ohm speaker the DC resistance will be around 4-6 ohms. If it's shorted or open, you might have more work ahead. I haven't done it myself but considering a coil is literally just wire, I doubt it'd be that hard to replace (assuming you can find the proper specs as far as gauge and number of turns).
>>
>>1051880
I dont think you know what you are talking about.
>>
File: 1473574452237.jpg (26KB, 500x580px) Image search: [Google]
1473574452237.jpg
26KB, 500x580px
>>1051858
>Yeah that was a translation error, sorry.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.