[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so im freezing to death i had an a/c that doubles as a heater

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

File: pretty much me right now.jpg (12KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
pretty much me right now.jpg
12KB, 300x168px
so im freezing to death
i had an a/c that doubles as a heater but it broke
and a radiator that melted while working
and i only had a tiny heater left wich fan broke
i have tried everything (i slapped it a few times) and it doesnt work
how do i warm myself so i dont get really sick?
>>
>>1050092
Help, you have saved me before
You stopped me from melting my shit filled toilet when I was so sick I walked around on a pair of pants completely retained in shit for a week
Is there any way of controlling it with fire? I have an oven, can I leave the oven on while I sleep?
>>
Blankets and coats dude. It's not rocket science
>>
>>1050106
I am at my maximum blankets and clothes
I'm not exactly rich, I have beeniving alone for a year
Also I had the heated electric pad that I had to buy when I fucked up my neck and is now over my belly wich is helping a bit
But I don't know if it's safe to use all night
>>
Stay dry. Keep your head and feet covered. Use layers. Keep thinner layers closer to your body. Remove inner layers when they get wet from sweat. Stay out of the wind. Stay in as small a space as you can without suffocating or getting claustrophic. Get off the ground, or keep a barrier between you and the ground. Start a campfire.

Are any of these applicable?
>>
>>1050119
>Stay away from wind
My bed is next to the shittiest window in the world because previous owned took the good window and replaced it with a useless one
>>
>>1050119
There aren't small spaces it's a tiny two room apartment with being ceilings
Only have two blankets big winter blanket and smaller autumn blanket.
Both of them combined is not enough
>>
>>1050104
>I have an oven, can I leave the oven on while I sleep?
If it' an electric oven it will burn out the element because it doesn't get a chance to rest (continuous heating)

If it's a gas oven all the pansy eurofags will tell you you'll die before morning.
I grew up in a house heated by unvented gas space heaters.
I didn't know what a vented space heater was until I became an adult.
Your gas oven is the equivalent of an unvented space heater.
It' not ideal but it' okay in an emergency.
>>
>>1050130
Me again.

When my power goes out in cold weather I remove the pan supports and turn on a couple of the top burners on my range for heat.

Battery powered fans distribute the heat to my bedroom.
>>
>>1050131
I did this when my gas heater broke last winter, it got fucking comfy man
>>
>>1050092
I bet your computer is running nice and quiet.
In all seriousness though please put up a photo of the room so we can help you strategerize thermal retention
>>
>>1050092
Can't get a used heater at the local salvation army?
>>
>find a cute fat girl
>snuggle
>???
>profit
Or maybe some stray dogs
>>
>>1050276
>Or maybe some stray dogs

>newspaper headline
Local Man Mauled To Death And Eaten By Stray Dogs!
It's unclear how the dogs gained entrance to the man's unheated home.
>>
>>1050362
Beats freezing to death
>>
>>1050371
kys
>>
>>1050372
Kek, you are serious about this thread? I misunderstood.

If you have electricity you can have heat.
Buy a couple cheap space heaters. They are $15 new at Walmart. Or buy some cheap used ones. Or fucking make one, sure it'll be dangerous but it's something.

I'm assuming you have no money though, so go panhandle or sell some of your junk and get some cash.

If you cant even scrap together 20 bucks then you deserve to die in the cold like the poor shit you are. Sorry man
>>
>>1050372
>>1050384
Bonus round cause I shouldn't have shitposted

Get some cheap hairdryers and hook them up to some sort of insulated tubing.

Boom you have concentrated portable warm air.
>>
A space blanket is $0.99USD and redirects 99% of your body heat back at you.

Next time you're at a department store ask if they have rubber hot water bottles - you could fill it with near-boiling water and take it to bed with you.
>>
File: hotwaterbottle.jpg (98KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
hotwaterbottle.jpg
98KB, 500x500px
>>1050411
>forgot pic
Anyway, they're about $5USD
>>
>>1050411
>>1050415
And while we're on the subject of boiling water, you could just - wait for it - boil water and set up fans to carry the hot (and moist!) air around your living space. It'd be like taking a shower and fogging up the room before long but hey, you're toasty.
>>
File: image.jpg (83KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83KB, 620x465px
>>1050092
Make a heated suit.
>>
If you're renting, have the landlord fix it. They have to do so within 24 hours (or sooner) in most civilized places that have cold winters.

If you own, maybe you should sell because you're poor as fuck.

If you're living with relatives, tell to fucking fix it.
>>
>>1050092
I feel you op, I sandwiched an old 100w soldering iron between two computer heatsinks, shoved the whole thing into an atx psu case with a 120mm fan. Worked well enough until heating element shat itself 2 days later.
>>
File: image.jpg (33KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 400x400px
invest in some insulation.
>>
>>1050438
Jesus you are a retard, how do yall fuck up so bad in life that you are literally freezing
>>
File: shiny.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
shiny.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>1050440
>invest in some insulation.
This.

For ever doubling of R, you half the watts conducted per unit area.

Eventually, you hit a point where your latent BODY HEAT is plenty to keep a room warm despite ambient temperatures outside of -20F

This sets up a loosing gain dynamic such that, generally speaking R-40 to R-80 is about the max you want to go before it's too much.

And similarly, LESS than R-50 generally means ADD MOAR!

Insulation might not be free, but-- adding more cost amortizes in a matter of mere /months/ to at most a couple years.

To add lots of insulation, structural in or out building is the way to roll. In the process you can also tighten the building up allot by adding a better vapor barrier.

Put away your gruesome electrical heating devices!

Unroll the fiberglass!

Lay out the 0.1 mm HDPE!

REJOICE IN COZY COMFORT!

THERE, over the hill the promised land!
>>
>>1050480
Mostly late nights working in my shop on last minute orders, place was basically a shed
>>
It's likely that the compressor of your a/c unit broke. It can be exchanged but it could be expensive. You should consult with your local store.

It's also possible that it's just the medium that leaked. If so it can easily be refilled at a low cost, but don't even think about doing that yourself. It's an environmental hazard and needs to be handled with care.

My guess is it's either one of those two things. I'd wager that in 90% of broken A/C units either one is the case.
>>
>>1050525
>I'd wager that in 90% of broken A/C units either one is the case.

In my experience you'd lose.
>ants in contactor
>weedeater cut thermostat wire
>weedeater blew grass to block condenser coil
>compressor capacitor dried out
>condenser fan capacitor dried out
>condenser fan bearings died
>evaporator coil clogged with years of dust, hair, etc
>air handler fan motor died
>bread wrapper blocking return air or evaporator coil
>and on and on

IT MUST BE LOW ON FREON!
>it's seldom low on refrigerant

THE COMPRESSOR DIED!
>compressors that survive the first year usually last for a generation
>>
>>1050522
but if you are freezing cold wouldn't you have shaking hands and make concentrating on work impossible? seems counter-intuitive to not just invest in a space heater or something
>>
>>1050411
Op here I survived last night
Where can I buy a space blanket? I have tinfoil, is it useful?
>>
>>1050525
It can't be the compressor because it broke one month after being installed
If it's the compressor then its still under warranty
I just can't let the repair people in because all tge hoarding
>>
Maybe, you should try at least...
>>
>>1050574
Wal-Mart usually carries then in the sporting goods section.
>>
>>1050598
I don't live close to a Walmart
But I live in a big gyms and sport clubs area with plenty of sport related stores so I guess I can find camping equipment around here
>>
>>1050606
OP seriously. How cold is it in your home? Give us temps. Also, what is your budget? Like realistically. And how much work are you willing to do? Seems to me your just a freezing lazy hobo with an internet connection.

I live in central Arizona so perhaps I'm not the man to suggest heating ideas, but couldn't you just Goodwill some extra blankets if you're at a near-zero budget?
>>
>>1050265
dude, fuck off with that logic. Are you trying to be sensible or something?

In all seriousness I'd save my crack money for a $20 heater. Those tear open hot pads work magic when i'm camping too.

Space blankets, the shiny reflective sheets are awesome too.
>>
>>1050616
Last night it was 4 Celsius
My budget it penniless if I want to eat this week
No goodwill, I'm not American
It's going to be freezing cold for at least another week, I had some soda that I forgot to put in the fridge and it was as cold as if it was on the fridge the next morning
>>
>>1050654

>4 degrees C

Ausfag here

Harden up mate. wear socks and a blanket.
>>
Since your place sounds like shit the stove is probably terrible too. Turn the oven on, close the oven door and drag your bed and bedding into the kitchen. I have a shit oven and it is more than capable of heating my apartment for a few hours. If it's gas and you're worrying about gas prices or CO then set an alarm for 3-5 hours to get your ass up to turn it off.

Alternate, move into the bathroom, get a hot as you can get water going and fill the bathtub. Shut the door and sleep all night. If you wake up cold then drain the tub and repeat. If you get it humid in the room then you can keep it warmer longer.

The goal of both is to make a heat source and be as close to it as possible. That will reduce costs and waste. The smaller the room the better.
>>
Make the area you are tying to heat the smallest you possibly can.

If as you say your buget is zero then it's going to cardboard, newspaper and packing foam.

Find the biggest cardboard box you can, fill with shredded newspaper and packing foam, climb in and sleep until spring.
>>
Heat up water to boiling temperature. Pour it into a bottle. Get under blanket and hug the bottle. Yw
>>
>>1050664
This cunts right, 4° is sock weather.
>>
>>1050092
>>1050108
use your electric heating pad and lots of layers of clothes you will survive but it will not be pleasant
>>
>>1050752
No it's shirts and T-shirt weather
>>
>>1050824
Shorts, fucking phone
>>
>>1050092
Get a bunch of cheap polarfleece throws (shouldn't cost you more than a few bucks each) or emergency mylar blankets (should cost like 50c). I've never seen an op shop not full of oil column heaters from estates. You should be able to get a large one with change from $10. Plug in the radiator and mount the throws over the windows, doorways, and anywhere else heat can escape from your bedroom. If you have a fan turn that on to help spread the heat around the room.

You will be very warm without dying for around 20 dollars.
>>
>>1050126
>Only have two blankets big winter blanket and smaller autumn blanket. Both of them combined is not enough
Just buy more blankets, man. Even if you are a poorfag, it's worth the investment to not freeze to death. Even if it's just the cheapest shittiest blankets you can find, added layers will hold the heat in. They would pay for themselves just by not running your stove/heater so much for warmth.
>>
>>1050434
Now that's just asking for severe burns all over your torso
>>
>>1050092
> so I don't get really sick

You do realize that's a myth right?

Other than hypothermia the cold doesn't make you sick
>>
Do you have a fireplace? You can go to any mechanic and ask for a barrel of waste oil for free. Then use an iron pipe 5 feet long and put a pinhole in a can so it drips into the pipe and out the pipe into the fireplace onto some ashes. That will burn easily.
Another way of free heat is with dung, any rotting organic material produces a lot of heat. If you have a plastic sheet to throw over it to avoid the mess you can sleep on it.
>>
Get a fucking sleeping bag. You don't have to put fuel into one, and your blankets complement it.

You are doing it wrong. Soldiers in field conditions dress for those conditions and have appropriate sleeping bags.
>>
>>1050092
>doubles as a heater

First, call it a heat pump, because that's what it is called. Now, does the indoor fan work?

>>1050525
Do not believe a word this man is saying besides the part about compressors being expensive.
>>
>>1052041
If the ID fan works, set the T'stat to Heat and open up the housing on the condensing unit outside. Push in the contactor with a pencil or wooden rod or something to see if it runs. If it doesn't, you're pretty much screwed and need to call somebody.
>>
File: 1472121214118.jpg (33KB, 250x225px) Image search: [Google]
1472121214118.jpg
33KB, 250x225px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnna1PAakV4
>>
>>1050092
Layer the fuck up man. Blankets are awesome. Consider hitting up a thrift store for some old clothing you can wear at home to keep the heat in. A sleepingbag might be a decent idea too. Good luck anon.
>>
Get some empty plastic bottles, fill them with near boiling hot water, stick them in a cotton sock and put them in your bed with you.

The cotton sock will insulate them to both prevent you getting burned on contact and to have them last longer.

>I lived for years in a house that only had wood stoves for heating, and when I came home late and I couldn't be arsed to fire them up I did this.

Also put on 4 or 5 blankets.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.