[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /diy/, I think i know what i want to do with my life I wanna

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: t24.jpg (35KB, 570x380px) Image search: [Google]
t24.jpg
35KB, 570x380px
hey /diy/, I think i know what i want to do with my life

I wanna be that old guy who can fix anything and build anything in his shop in his garage. Mostly carpentry and woodworking stuff I'm interested. I also wanna go to Antarctica as a carpenter. It's legit, watch Antarctica: A Year on Ice and the Encounters at the End of the World. There's carpentry jobs there.

anyway, I'm young as shit and only decided this recently. Hopefully I can get into this carpentry class I'm trying to take. Any advice to learn more and further a career along those line? I've mostly been watching youtube videos and stuff while I wait on word from the class

pic unrelated, just a dope ass desk
>>
Practice, practice, practice. Find small projects to do to familiarize yourself with tools and materials. Make a box, make a simple stool. Classes are great- I hope you get into that one, too.
>>
>>1049435

Thanks. I really like this board, didnt know there was anything good left on 4chan
>>
>>1049429
The problem is that you need years of experience and training in different fields.
I can run a CNC router, rebuild an engine without a manual, build an a frame house on my own- but that took decades of bouncing from one job to another (whenever I got bored or mastered what I did there).
>>
>>1049429
join the military. every branch has an engineer corp.

not only will you learn a trade but you will work next to people of other disciplines and have the ability to learn their stuff too. more importantly you'll do some traveling and gain some perspective. after 4 or so years of that use your educational money to get a technical/engineering degree. bounce between manufacturing and construction for a few more years and by that time you'll be an old guy that can fix or build anything.
>>
Have you tried using computers?
>>
>>1049556
The military has no need for handymen. They just contact everything out to actual companies. Most engineer work actually fixing things is just replacing parts, turning bolts, or duct-taping holes shut. There's no room for nigger-rigging because everything is either a piece of lifesaving equipment, or is ceremonial so you can't use it if it's slathered in duct tape and haphazardly lashed together.

t. military
>>
>>1049429
I want to go to Antarctica to be a lumberjack. I hear its an easy job out there.
>>
I have the exact same dream, threw everything aside to pursue said dream, bately getting by but...

>Currently in my apprenticeship >start studying next week
>gonna make it
>>
op here

>>1049556
I don't wanna join the military. I'm considering fabrication and manufacturing now though since I found out today the Carpentry thing isnt gonna happen this year. I'm too privileged and not niggerish enough for the financial aid

>>1050457
good luck buddy, you might be interested in /r/antarctic on reddit
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.