[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I found this today. There are three options: 1. Salvage the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: image1(7).jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image1(7).jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I found this today. There are three options:

1. Salvage the metalwork and trash the rest.
2. Redo the inside, clean it up and use it.
3. Use it in one of my photoshoots (risk ruining it)
4. Sell it.

What would you do? More pics incoming.
>>
File: image4.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image4.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
It has some really cool details.
>>
File: image2(2).jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image2(2).jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I can't figure out how old it is or if would be worth anything. Is there still a market for trunks? I've seen them go from $80-$300.
>>
>>1049227
Im looking for an old steamer like this one. Are you in the US south east?
>>
File: image3.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image3.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
The interior has obviously seen some water damage.
>>
>>1049229
Its a tight market.
A few people (like me) use these because they move around a lot and they are super freakin durable. I personally try to restore them before I use them. Airports will pay out the ass if they damage a good looking one.

The biggest market is interior designers. If it looks decent then they will pay well (1K+), but it depends on location and condition.
>>
>>1049231
Unfortunately I'm not. I'm on Long Island in New York.
>>
I'm an idiot and wrote "three options" instead of four. Oops.
>>
>>1049227
All the leather strapping is shot. About $500 to have someone else fix it, ~$150-200 if DIY. The rivets are going to be a bitch and a half to remove without damaging them.

The wood looks great. Metal flashing is workable. Metal fitting and bumpers look good but need to be brassed.

For a complete restore, it would probably run $2k. End value without knowing the brand would be about $2k.
>>
>>1049234
>1K+

No, they won't. You could literally make one and artificially age it for nowhere near that amount of money.

They might be 'interior designers' and think about aesthetic but they are not fools.
>>
>>1049242
Seems right to me. I am an artist and craftsman so I would be doing the work for myself. I wouldn't be restoring it to sell it though. I'd end up keeping it for myself. The only thing is - I have a steamer already that I've refinished and I wouldn't want to go through the process again.

Do you think anyone would buy it as is? If so, what would you list it at?
>>
>>1049235
You are in a great location to sell if you can spruce it up a little. A good cleaning with some cloth and light machine oil would do wonders for the trunk.

Use the machine oil to soak the inside paper and wood so you can strip that shit out. Dry the wood afterwards and re-paper.

I sold one of my travel trunks for 5 grand at the airport to an interior designer who happened to see it. Any other part of the country would have been 500-1000.
>>
>>1049246
Try to buy the mats and make one.

It will look like chinese crap or you will have put >$2k of supplies and effort into it.
>>
>>1049247

Follow this guys instructions
>>1049248

A few hours of work and then start calling interior designers or list on craigslist for a grand.
>>
>>1049248
>>1049254

Will the reparations decrease the value of the trunk for the designers? Or are they looking for untouched? I would be all for doing this.
>>
File: JunkInMyTrunk.jpg (107KB, 1187x731px) Image search: [Google]
JunkInMyTrunk.jpg
107KB, 1187x731px
>>1049250

I could buy one made for a fraction of what you're talking about. You might live in a part of the world where people are full of shit and over value trash but where I am, the money you're talking about for these kind of things just isn't there. Just looking on ebay which is fucking swamped with them and they just aren't making the money you're talking about.

I know it's not identical, but it's one of the first results and close enough of a comparison to say you're absolutely dreaming.
>>
>>1049248
Machine oil never really loses its odor, what if I used Citrasolv or another degreaser? It smells like oranges.
>>
>>1049263

Use WD40, not machine oil. Clean with lemon juice.

These people talk unrealistic numbers when it comes to pricing and cant even give good advice for restoring it.
>>
Make a bar out of it.Goffee table or store blankets in it.
>>
a lil pig and chicken fat mixedthen, wipe it down with mild vinegar or oil soap
>>
I wouldn't touch that petina.
Use it in photo shoots, it has a great look for it.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.