[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/, I'm an amateur lock picker. I started out when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

Hey /diy/,

I'm an amateur lock picker. I started out when a locksmith charged me $100 for 3 minutes of work, and I'm still mad.

Next week I'll be getting a pick gun. I live in a dormitory, and I'm considering offering free locksmith services because I can, and because I really want to undermine the local locksmith vultures who are getting fat off poor students who lock themselves out.

I already have a rep for being a helpful guy, but I'm wondering if this is a too suspicious service to offer for free. I can't charge anything for it as that is highly illegal when I don't have a license, but I can encourage donations of pizza and beer.

Also, general lock picking thread. All praise our Lordy Teacher, Bosnian Bill.
>>
>>1049101
prepare to be the main suspect every time something is stolen
>>
>>1049101
I play with cheap padlocks as my personal take on a rubix cube, don't have any real tools or skill though. How did you pick it up? Did you buy or make your picks?
>>
>>1049105
I'm the head of the resident council. We already have a service where people can leave a spare key with us that we then unlock their doors with for free when they lock themselves out. But only half the dorm have spares down there, and it hurts me every time a qt grill in pajamas have to call one of those greedy fucks.

So if that was the case, we would already be constantly blamed for shit being stolen. But no one steals anything anyway except for milk and freeze pizzas from the shared kitchens.
>>
>>1049112
>How did you pick it up?
Bosnian Bill on Youtube for the basics. Then I was bored one day at work and found a tiny 3 pin suitcase lock. Practiced for hours with it using two paper clips. Then I gradually moved on to bigger and more complex locks.

>Did you buy or make your picks?
Both. OP pic is my set. I made the tiny ones in front out of rigid paper clips, but bought the Haoshi Tools one.
>>
>>1049131
Cheers bro, gonna look on ebay for a cheap set and some shit locks. Any recommendations?
>>
>>1049136
Use dx.com instead. Get the best reviewed set. Then go to your local locksmith and ask if they have any old padlocks around that you can buy for cheaps. Otherwise just go to dollar stores and buy cheap locks there.

And always stay legal.
>>
Fuck locksmiths, Im a handyman for most apartments in town and did the same because tenants would change the locks and move.
>>
>>1049101
>I really want to undermine the local locksmith vultures who are getting fat off poor students who lock themselves out
So you want to cheat hard-working skilled laborers out of their honest day's pay?

Good luck with that.
>>
>>1049101
>I had a problem
>a professional with years of experience fixed my problem in a speedy and efficient manner and charged me the going rate for this
>I mad
>In going to be the hero drunken student jackasses need
>other services offered: hands held, lullabies sang, boo-boos kissed and asses wiped
>>
>>1049105
I was known as the guy who could pick locks in high school and it worked out pretty well for me. People just asked me if I could help when they were locked out of something. Wasn't just students either, the teachers knew and asked for my help too. Lots of old filing cabinets with lost keys around. Worst thing I ever got accused of was breaking into classrooms during the day and fucking shit up. That was after I showed some classmates how to open the doors in the school with lunch cards though, so I guess I sort of brought it on myself. But I just talked with the principal for a little while and since I didn't have a reputation for being a destructive shit, they believed that I didn't do it.

That's just my experience, but I think it sort of relates to what OP is talking about. I had a good reputation with the teachers and the other students, so I was never accused of much.
>>
>>1049152
>>1049178
Hello greedy cunts. If I can learn your "skilled labor" in a couple of months, then I'm fully allowed to do whatever I want with it.
>>
>>1049152
>not encouraging competitiveness
if he can undercut and still make a profit, good for him.
>>
File: tmp_32625-acd-1052077726.jpg (25KB, 600x402px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_32625-acd-1052077726.jpg
25KB, 600x402px
>>1049152
>>1049178
>complaining about people doing things themselves
>on a /diy/ board
>>
>>1049152
>hard-working
locksmiths?
>>
>>1049152
But they dont even open the lock themselves. They have a thingy that does i for them in few handmotions
>>
>>1049572
And said thingy is $15 on ChinkExtreme
>>
>>1049507
>If I can learn your "skilled labor" in a couple of months, then I'm fully allowed to do whatever I want with it.
Here's the deal, though - those dormitories and their locks do not belong to you or any other student, they belong to the accredited academic establishment. Legally, you cannot pick those locks since you do not own the locks and the students you would be servicing do not own them either.

>>1049523
We're not talking about competition or making a profit, OP already stated that he wants to offer this service for free in order to eliminate a skilled worker's paycheck and breach the security and trust of his host.

>>1049545
>complaining about people doing things themselves
>doing things themselves
1st, OP stated that he intends to offer out these skills to others - not just do it for himself. 2nd, he nor his 'clients' own the locks in question so picking them without consent from the owner is illegal. 3rd, OP is an unlicensed amateur who will just as likely damage a lock in an attempt to pick it.

>>1049554
Yes, locksmiths. Few have the patience to make and/or overcome a tedious and tiny piece of equipment.

>>1049572
>>1049575
And without the proper know-how that cheap ChinkExtreme thingy (aka "Pick gun") will damage the lock in question - which is no good when you don't own the lock nor have the owner's consent to pick it.

OP - stop being a criminal. If you're this interested in the subject, get a certification and go into business for yourself - otherwise stop being a nigger and whoring out your nigger services.
>>
>>1049666
OP here.

It's a private dorm. Already cleared everything with the police and the building inspector. I'll also have people sign a piece of paper that allows me to do it for free and with me not being responsible for any damages that might occur.

Sorry, vulture, but you lost this one.
>>
>>1049666
>>1049667

Looks like devil trips just got owned by a 'nigger'.
>>
>>1049666
>>1049667
Oh, and you remember that I mentioned I'm the head of the resident council? That comes with a seat on the Board of Directors that governs the administration that pretty much runs every private dorm in town. So I am already the highest authority, and can legally force my way in to any room given the right reasons.

Again, sorry. So sorry. ;^)
>>
>>1049667
You're a good guy OP. Competition was never a bad thing. Go out and give people a good service they deserve.

If locksmiths that charge $500/hr really were skilled, then your amateur hour work should be no concern to them whatsoever. Because they're "skilled" surely they are not worried you'll take over their work, they can find a way around.

Such a shit excuse to say that doing a service someone does at least of a cost or for free is stealing someone's paycheck.

As long as you know what you are doing and do it right, all the power to you. Drive competition.

Not like here in Aussie where telecom and internet lines are basically owned by one giant prick of a Monopoly called Telstra.
Fkn hate the cunts.

Tl;dr good on ya OP. Power to the people.
>>
>>1049667
>>1049672
>>1049673
Oh well my mistake Mr. Head-Of-The-Board. Go get them qt grills in PJs with your mad breaching skillz! I'm sure there's absolutely no way this plan of yours could backfire, no siree!
;^)
>>
>>1049136
I got a cheap set from DX was shocked how quick I picked my back door without no training or instructions whatsoever
Just buy the basic set from them and go from there
>>
File: image.jpg (76KB, 640x732px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76KB, 640x732px
>>1049683
This is the set I got
>>
>>1049680
Your tears. I feed on them.
>>
>>1049694
>feed on your tears
Tears of joy when you get arrested, kiddo.
;^)
>>
>>1049698
Arrested for what? The popo have already told me the steps I need to take in order to cover my ass. They actually praised me for wanting to help people.
>>
>>1049666
Itt: triggered faggot

>stop being a criminal
>this is illegal
>nonconsent
>belongs to the accredited academic establishment

I've not seen triggered niggers flip their shit this hard since probably may. Holy fuck.
>>
>>1049666

This is really, really good b8, m8.
>>
>>1049718
oh shi-
>>
>>1049708
>police praised me
Because you're making easy work for them.

>help PJ grill get into her dorm
>personal property goes missing weeks later
>PJ grill goes to police
>"Well, anon is the only other person I know that can get into my dorm..."
Welcome to the nightmare you made for yourself. I hope you like sausage.
;^)

>>1049716
>triggered meme
>calling names
Just proves I'm right if you have to resort to name-calling.
;^)
>>
>>1049723
You're a very friendly summery kind of person if you think faggot and nigger are anything but filler words. Drop your meme arrows before somebody gets their eye poked out.
>>
>>1049726
>more name-calling and posturing
Come back when you're ready to discuss things like an adult, kiddo.
>>
Look, kids - it's been fun but I've got real things to do with my day. Have fun breaking into people's living spaces and getting arrested.
;^)
>>
>>1049723
>personal property goes missing

Why would it do that?
>>
>>1049723
>old sour locksmith gets triggered that he doesn't get laid because of his skills

You're amusing to watch crash and burn.
>>
>>1049101
What happens when you fuck up one of their locks?
>>
>>1049741
The inspector, who's a good friend of mine, changes it.
>>
Stop feeding the Mr. X clone.
>>
>I'm an amateur lock picker. I started out when a locksmith charged me $100 for 3 minutes of work, and I'm still mad.

He was also charging for the trip, the overhead of having an actual business, and shit spergtards have no idea exists like paying an accountant, business Iiability insurance, etc.

A spare key in a wallet or inside a money belt works wonders BTW.
>>
>>1049101
>pick gun
>offering free service

you mean your offering a lock breaking service?
>>
>>1049178
WeW lad
>>
>>1049101
> Lives in dorm
> Didnt build a contraption to open your door from the outside

You faggot deserve to pay a locksmith if you are too stupid to realize the school will open it for free or to make your own lock pick/door opener out of coat hangers or some shit
>>
>>1049666
t. cucked locksmith
>>
>>1049101
Most states don't actually require a license. look up your local laws.
>>
>>1049673

You force your way into my room asswipe and you'll find yourself with a face full of lead. Fucking self important prick deserves no better.
>>
>>1049674
amen to that brother, Telstra is cunts.
>>
>>1049688

Oh god that set is the worst.

The half diamond doesn't even stick out, usually it's supposed to have an actual point to it.

The picks are flimsy as all hell, the metal bends easy and doesn't bend back

The tension bar is shite as well.

I've had that set, got rid of it when I replaced it with a southord set.

Get pic related, Southord C1510

The metal is nice and hard, springs back to center when bent.
Great feedback.
Not ridiculously expensive.
Plus it's slimline meaning they'll fit european locks and US locks with tight keyways, in case you keep at it and start attacking high security locks.
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 316x160px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 316x160px
>>1051702

Fucking cunt, forgot the image
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (89KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
89KB, 1500x1500px
Been marathoning Bosnian Bill's channel since I came across this thread, fascinating stuff. Ended up ordering a Southord PXS-14 kit off eBay, gonna start practicing this myself. Seems like a cool, useful skill.
>>
>>1049101
"I can't charge anything for it as that is highly illegal when I don't have a license". It is still illegal if you don't charge, so you might as well charge.
>>
>>1053077
Depends on the state cuckbucket. Here in mittenstate locksmith's tools are perfectly legal unless they can prove intent to steal from whatever you've opened.
>>1049101
OP, have a quick peek at http://toool.us/laws.html if you're a burger. Otherwise, look around. Hobby locksmiths are everywhere and have figured out what is and isn't legal.
>>
Just an FYI anon, I am the Building and Ground Director for a school district and can say that Universities are setup the same way.

If you pick a lock for a student on campus and we find out, you will be warned once, if you do it again you will be reprimanded and if you do it again, you will be brought up on charges.

Students do NOT own a dorm room or a locker. Those are owned by the school and are not subject to the same regulations as an apartment is.

I can also say for near certain that if you pick a lock and we find out about it, you will be replacing the lock because you damaged it, even if the lock is in 100% perfect condition.

Most institutions use a much higher grade of lock that you are likely used to. While they are not un-pickable they are much harder than a $20 lockset at Home Depot.

We use Schlage Primus XP locks here with a master key tiered system.

Our system has keys for teachers which open their door, a key for the department head which opens all of the doors in a department, a sub master key which opens most locks in the building that custodians carry, and a master key that opens every lock in the building except for two which is locked in a safe in my office. Then we have two odd locks in the building for the server room and the superintendent's office (because he thinks he's special but signs my checks so I don't say shit). The stupid thing is that I have a copy of both of these keys in my safe too as required by regulations.

The downside of this is that if a key is lost and we have to re-key a building, it costs many thousands of dollars, which is good reason for you not to do it.

Couple this with the fact that I've never even hear of a modern college that doesn't employ this system or something similar plus a policy in place for lost keys or lock outs. When I was in college our RA would just call campus security and have them come unlock the door for us.

That all being said, just go for it. I would just do it for friends though.
>>
>>1049124
So, I have to ask.

If you are the head of the resident council, why don't you just make leaving a key with you mandatory? Surely the residents aren't keying their own locks. What do you do if you need emergency access to a unit? Kick the down down? Even every apartment complex in the world has a spare key kept with property management.

>>1049667
Where do you live in the world that has privately owned dorms with a residential council? Sounds like a campus owned dorm to me.

Also there is no way a police department advised you to do this. Even if you are doing this for purely altruistic reasons (which let's face it, you think it will get you laid) this opens you up to theft and rape accusations since you have shown you can force your way into a dorm room.

>>1049743
I'm also pretty sure you don't know what a building inspector is or you live in a weird country who uses incorrect terminology. A building inspector is a county or state official that checks buildings for code compliance. They certainly don't change locks in dorm buildings.
>>
Licensed locksmiths is a thing in the u.s. having those tools without a p.e.r.c. card can be a crime
>>
>>1049101

Your school must be fucking shitty as hell to not have a locksmith on staff, or at the very least someone in maintenance available after hours to let you in.

Then again, your school may have a price on such a service that was more than what the locksmith charged you.

Either way, good luck. I was a locksmith for a major university for 3 years before I went back to the commercial side. If we found you fucking with our property? You were gone. We didn't need your tuition that bad.
>>
OP I think what you're doing is great. I started cutting my own hair for the same damn reason and now I cut other peoples' hair. Instead of spending like a thou+ on haircuts the last 10 years I've saved that and made more!

Godspeed goodbuddy.
>>
File: shs0311c.gif (484KB, 979x1125px) Image search: [Google]
shs0311c.gif
484KB, 979x1125px
>>1054794
Oi. I heard that mate. I'll have the boys come around and collect your membership dues. 10 years, with interest. Or I could just have the guard come by and lock you up in the dungeon for practicing without a license.
>>
File: 1366158616455.png (16KB, 265x307px) Image search: [Google]
1366158616455.png
16KB, 265x307px
>>1054803
But I cut hair for free, I just happen to have a gofundme and a paypal account as well. The two aren't related mista
>>
>>1054093
>Those are owned by the school and are not subject to the same regulations as an apartment is.

On a federal level this is total 100% bullshit. And you got a lot of rights there. On a state level this varies but in many states a dorm grants you the same rights as any other rental. Which includes needing to go through a lengthy eviction process to actually evict someone.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.