[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's been a long time since we've had a haul thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 13

File: pic001.jpg (605KB, 2672x1503px) Image search: [Google]
pic001.jpg
605KB, 2672x1503px
It's been a long time since we've had a haul thread. I've been too lazy to start one but I have still been collecting. This was from last week. This week there wasn;t any good says because of the weekend.

All these plus 3 good hand saws and a Coleman 242C lantern were all mine for only $50. They came out of an estate for a contractor that retired 30 years ago. Nothing in there was newer than the 1970s and everything had 30 years of dust on it.

Clamps of various make and model. The red ones are Stanley Handymans. The wooden ones are unmarked. The combo square is unmarked. The hatched (for roofing? unsure) is a Plumb. The card file is a Nicholson. The drill index is from National and is full. Inside the bits are rust free.
>>
File: pic002.jpg (405KB, 2672x1503px) Image search: [Google]
pic002.jpg
405KB, 2672x1503px
>>1048740
The tool box is an older Kennedy and it is mint. Even came with the original inspection cards and advertising inside. Inside its like it was never opened. Outside is a little dusty and dirty but the paint is untouched and its rust free.
>>
File: pic003.jpg (721KB, 2672x1503px) Image search: [Google]
pic003.jpg
721KB, 2672x1503px
>>1048740
>>
File: pic004.jpg (423KB, 2672x1503px) Image search: [Google]
pic004.jpg
423KB, 2672x1503px
>>1048740
Based on the little wooden insert I think it might be a saw box of some type. I haven't researched it though.
>>
File: pic005.jpg (557KB, 2672x1503px) Image search: [Google]
pic005.jpg
557KB, 2672x1503px
>>1048740
A very old Craftsman rabbet plane, some very beefy Milwaukee Forstner bits, and two Stanley planes.

I should have given the planes a pass as they are not great examples. The adjustment wheels are plastic, which means they are from a time when the planes were losing quality. The old Craftsman is downright ancient, based on the logo.
>>
File: pic006.jpg (594KB, 2672x1503px) Image search: [Google]
pic006.jpg
594KB, 2672x1503px
>>1048740
A Lufkin self-rewinding 50 ft. measuring tape. Its in great shape and still works.
>>
File: pic007.jpg (686KB, 2672x1503px) Image search: [Google]
pic007.jpg
686KB, 2672x1503px
>>1048740
Stanley No. 60 hand chisels and a very nice leather case. The chisels are in good condition. Very little rust and plenty of life left. They have not been properly sharpened in a very long time though and really need it. I was very surprised by the condition of the leather case. Generall when I find old leather that's been in the back of a barn for 30 years it cracked to hell or goes that way as soon as I try and bend it. Outside of the dirt, this case is like new. Supple and undamaged. I guess I will have to dig up two more chisels somewhere to fill it out and keep using it.
>>
File: pic008.jpg (364KB, 2672x1503px) Image search: [Google]
pic008.jpg
364KB, 2672x1503px
>>1048740
This lovely little motor switch will be going onto one of my old stationary power tools. These things sell for a mint for some stupid reason. I found it in a shelving unit filled with ungrounded outlets, brown light switches (the kind that snap like an angry Mexican girl and require just short of 300 lbs of force to flip), ugly covers and old door bell power converters.
>>
File: pic009.jpg (505KB, 2672x1503px) Image search: [Google]
pic009.jpg
505KB, 2672x1503px
>>1048740
Two vice grips (one of which is of the original style), a Yankey screwdriver and the drill index.
>>
>>1048740
got a sandvik high tension hacksaw for $4

and a weller WD1 station for $20 at an auction
>>
>>1048740

>Made in the USA
>Made in the USA
>Made in the USA
>Made in the USA

Back when we made our own shit before globalist dickbags took a massive dump on America and sent it off to china so they could make a few more bucks.
>>
File: CAM00165.jpg (1MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
CAM00165.jpg
1MB, 1920x2560px
Acquired over the last 3 weeks in Australia

Mitutoyo - Japan - 0-1" Micrometer $10
4 pairs of pliers $10 in total
Klein - USA - 63050 Cable Cutters
Harry P Will - Germany - Linesman pliers
Berg - Sweden - Sidecutters
Elliot-Lucas - England - sidecutters

1/2
>>
File: CAM00166.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
CAM00166.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>1048783
2/2
Stabila - Germany - 120cm level $10
Dawn - Australia - 3 inch vise $20
Lufkin - Australia - Tape measure $5
Disston - USA - 9 TPI rip saw $5
WM Kent (Hiderniaworks) - England - Sliding Bevel $8
>>
Fair enough
>>
>>1048775
It was kind of the other way around. Foreign companies and importers started selling cheaper Japanese and Taiwanese tools in the US back in the 50's and 60's. The larger and more established companies already making tools in the US had nothing to do with it. At first, the only companies it really affected were the low-end tools makers. Eventually, the quality of the imports got good enough that they were competitive with the higher end tools because of the significant price difference. Call it the 'Harbor Freight effect' if you will.

By the 70's even the big boys were feeling the effects. Especially in the hand tool industry, which had already been losing ground to power tools for years. Once good motors started to come out of Asia and plastic became a viable case material (cheaper equipment to make it, more forgiving of errors) that was basically the end. Outside of a few holdouts and special cases tools are made in Asia now.
>>
>>1048775
Poor you.
At least YOU buy ONLY made in murrrikahurrikadurrika tools so you are keeping your monies in the country.
That is how capitalism works, chummer. People sell what people want.
>>
>>1048775
>Back when we made our own shit before we stopped caring whether it was made here or not and bought whichever item was a few bucks cheaper.
ftfy
>>
File: grinder lift.jpg (272KB, 1491x2130px) Image search: [Google]
grinder lift.jpg
272KB, 1491x2130px
Hammond tool and cutter grinder - fifty bucks.

Have replacement single phase motor already (five bucks at yard sale) so I'll be sharpening bits and milling cutters for under a hundred dollars complete.
>>
>>1051424
Do you have the fixturing? Like an indexing head, centers, variety of fingers and finger holders? (though fingers and holders can be easily DIYable in most cases).
>>
File: LeBlond loaded.jpg (753KB, 3213x2184px) Image search: [Google]
LeBlond loaded.jpg
753KB, 3213x2184px
>>1051563

I'm going to make fingers/holders as needed and give the spindex method a shot since I've got one of those.

I also have a Shars end mill holder/indexer designd for use a surface grinder which will be easy to mount on the Hammond. Will also give that a shot on the LeBlond my bro just scored for 300 bucks.

Check the dolly under the LeBlond. We've moved a variety of machines with that setup including my Bridgeport. I have a lot of scrap channel so we drilled it to fit the green channel outriggers then brought a cordless drill to drill the orange channel to fit the machine base. Allthread and nuts lift or lower the load without a forklift. Use unplated allthread instead of the cheap shit in the pic. My bro only needed one move so lubing the threads was enough, but the unplated Grade 5 or better allthread doesn't gall. I used that for my moves. Fuck paying a rigger.when ya don't have to.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.