[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Before leaving my parent's house I want to start buying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: news-rigging-3.jpg (142KB, 980x731px) Image search: [Google]
news-rigging-3.jpg
142KB, 980x731px
Before leaving my parent's house I want to start buying some tools since I use everything from my dad. He has everything from chinkshit to nice american and german made, from stanley to knipex.

Can /diy/ recommend me some quality but not over the top expensive hand tools like pliers and screwdrivers? Very much appreciated.

pic unrelated
>>
>>1048719
your dad sounds like a reasonable guy, you should ask him first. I wish i had one to ask...
>>
>>1048719
Buy used.
>>1048740
>>
>>1048719
I bought a craftsman mechanics tool set around 2013. Everything in the box was made in USA. Had any and everything you will ever need in it for about $450.
>>
>>1048730
Sorry to hear that, anon.

>>1048755
Seems the best way to find some great deals but I never buy anything used.

>>1048867
I'm going to look into that. Thanks
>>
File: 1459693685317.png (205KB, 310x329px) Image search: [Google]
1459693685317.png
205KB, 310x329px
Bumping my own thread
>>
>>1048719
usually the advice is to just buy what you need when you need it, that way you kind of spread out the cost and can afford better tools. of course its all the same in the end i guess. in about 1000 years you will have a full tool set and never need to buy anything ever again.
>>
>>1049287
>Bumping my own thread
There's a stickie: .>>670505

> - Be patient, this is a slow board; your thread will be around for days.
>>
Just steal your pas, problem solved - may be slightly pissed about it and not talk to you for a couple of years/disinherit you - but, in his heart, he knows he is old anyway, and is only right that you inherit the family knipex while youre still young and agile. But actually, tradition is, he should give you some bits-n-pieces as a starter - ask him, he says GTFO, he just being a cunt, steal them anyway.
>>
>>1049304
Makes sense but I think I should really buy at least a pair of pliers and screwdrivers before I leave.

>>1049307
Sorry, I'm from /out/ so I should know better.

>>1049313
My dad is a top dude, but he really loves his tools, I would never ask him to give me them. Plus he's still a relatively young man, so he needs them probably more than I. Btw it's offensive and disgusting that you're telling me to steal from my family. Go be a criminal somewhere else.
>>
>>1049313
>But actually, tradition is, he should give you some bits-n-pieces as a starter

When my son graduated HS I gave him a nice set of tools.
He'll be 49 in a couple of weeks and still has almost all of them.
He and I have added enough that we have a nice shop and can do repairs and rebuilds on most anything.
>favoritism shown to small block chevy
>>
>>1049325
>But actually, tradition is, he should give you some bits-n-pieces as a starter
was (actually) the only part of that you should have taken real seriously, but, I can see you gonna be all problematic here..

see >>1049333 - he knows, good on you Opie, Top Man. Your Pa would be honored if you asked HIM for some advice, and he would also give you some bits-n-pieces, happily, because - thats what you do.
>>
>>1049339
>I can see you gonna be all problematic here
Not really, I'm a pretty chill dude actually but in I just want, if possible, for people to recommend me a fairly priced brand that makes good stuff so I can go look into their products and buy some basic stuff.
>>
>>1049343
Harbor Freight gets all kinds of grief here but their hand tools (wrenches, sockets, ratchets, etc.) are inexpensive and pretty darn good.
Much better fit-and-finish than just a few years ago.
They also have a lifetime warranty.

Their tools with an edge (screwdrivers, chisels, drill bits, etc.) not so good.

Electrical tools from them are hit-and-miss - Read the reviews before buying any electrical product from them.
>>
Getting back to what OP originally asked for:

Stanley is a perfectly good source for certain hand tools. The ones which come immediately to mind are tape measures and utility knives. I've never used one of their modern handsaws, but the seem fine as well

I've had good luck with Chanellock brand pliers, and have heard good things about Klein pliers, though the only Klein tool I have is a wire stripper.

Estwing and Vaughn both make great tools, namely hammers.

Empire levels seem to be the norm with the tradesmen I've worked with.

For socket wrenches, I've had Husky, Master Mechanic (true value store brand), and recently, Craftsman. Husky worked well until being sacrificed to the sea gods (left on a boat, eaten by salt air), master mechanic is still holding up well, though I did break a ratchet while attempting to remove a seized bolt, and craftsman has yet to really be put to use. Nice screwdrivers though.

For combination wrenches, I've had master mechanic and craftsman. As above, master mechanic has survived everything I've thrown at it, Craftsman has yet to see any real use.
>>
>>1048719
what kind of jobs are you looking at doing?
If you aren't going crazy a cheap tool set like craftsman/tool pro will get the job done perfectly fine.

here in australia we have a recycling centre next to our dump (basically a dump shop) you pick up anything from old motorbikes to old tools and car parts to furniture and pool tables. If you have one frequently visit it I picked up a 2 foot pry bar and channel lock multi socket for $2 one day.
>>
>>1048719
If you are just starting out you will be better served by buying cheap, but reasonable quality tools like Pittsburgh Pro from Harbor Freight. Upgrade from there as you want with nicer tools. It is also worthwhile having some cheaper tools around for jobs where they might get lost/broken, or if you want something to loan. Your cheaper tools can always become your car toolbox set.

A basic kit in my view should include at least:
>A set of screwdrivers
>Two adjustable wrenches at least one that is 12" or longer.
>Needle nose pliers
>Dykes (sidecutters)
>Linesman pliers
>Tongue and Groove (Channellocks)
>A claw hammer
>Stanley knife
>Tape measure
>Gloves, safety glasses and a torch

If you want the option of working on your car as well add at least
>A set of combination wrenches
>3/8 drive socket set with shallow and deep sockets

Slightly more specialized but still really handy to have are:
>Hacksaw
>Precision screwdrivers
>Pick set
>Pry bar
>Files in a number of different cuts
>Sharpening stone (1000 grit or so, for kitchen knives etc)
>Vice-grips
>Cordless drill with bits
>Level

Even just the basic set will be quite costly if you buy premium brands, also it will take a little time to acquire them used. In my opinion you are better off buying cheaper options initially just to cover more bases, then upgrading over time.
>>
>>1049520

>cheap, but reasonable quality tools like Pittsburgh Pro from Harbor Freight.

This guy knows whats up.

HF backs up most of their Pittsburgh brand hand tools with a lifetime warranty.

I think over the past 8 years i have had to HF tools break on me very and both times i went in with the broken tool and walk out with a nice new one.

Now when you get into power tools i would advise getting a better name then HF if you do anything beyond basic home repair / light hobby work.
>>
I moved out just over a year ago. I started with a screwdriver, pliers, hammer and my grandpa's old handsaw. I bought what I needed when I needed it, from Harbor Freight if possible, and have been fine thus far. I borrow stuff if I need to and buy whatever it is if I need it again. If the cheap shit breaks then buy a nicer one. I had a shitty drill from HF, for example, and bought a Chicago Electric off of Ebay that has lasted me 8 months so far. Not a long time to judge it but I like it so far.
>>
>>1049348
>>1049378
>>1049387
Thanks guys, that's really the type of answer that I was looking for.

>>1049387
It's mostly to do basic stuff around the house/bicycle/car
>>
>>1049824
I bought a set of Harbor Freight wrenches in both metric and SAE as well as impact sockets, which were cheaper than the regular shiny ones, but just as good. I was gifted some old rechargeable drill and impact wrench from the GF's father. I got a bunch of drill bits and random pliers and wrenches when the neighbor's husband died. I was given my soldering iron by a classmate after he got a new one. I use the drill the most, get one with an adjustable torque limiter, or whatever it is, and it makes putting Ikea furniture together so much easier.
>>
>>1048719
OPs pic is what I do for a living.
>>
>>1049832
thanks

>>1049857
pls pls develop. A couple months ago I got an hardon looking for that kind of stuff.
>>
I got a husky set from home depot for 150 and comes with most everything you will need. I think it was 300 piece mechanic set. Other than the basic hand tools you will find pawn shops have good deals. Remember to buy one tool at a time and haggle.
>>
>>1048719
do you know what tools you gona use?
>>
Talking from my experience, magnets are useful as fuck.
I use a big one all the time to stick screws to if I disassemble something.

Also, when buying pliers and such, it's go Knipex or go home.
>>
>>1048719
go to a auction or a car boot sale you van buy tonnes of tools for nothing i bough a massive box of hand tools from a auction for £6 must've had around 30 screwdrivers and 10 sets of pliers plus loads of other tools like centre punches and squares.
>>
Pliers, can't go wrong with them. They're really all the same unless you're willing to shell out big bucks.

I suggest going to get basic basic tools first, go to auto-zone, or walmart, Get yourself a set of Metric and Correct wrenches, some screwdrivers, The rest buy on an "as needed" basis.
>>
>>1048719
I do what my dad does. Base tools descent quality and lifetime warrenty, craftsman everything.

Then maybe a specialty tools like matco 144 tooth 3/8 ratchet.

The knipex pliers

Greenlee pliers

$300 titanium drill bit sets

Etc.

Id start with craftsman and work your way up. Good luck anon.
>>
File: 7702_6130_large.jpg (68KB, 325x300px) Image search: [Google]
7702_6130_large.jpg
68KB, 325x300px
>>1048719
Sears.com has homeowner "sets." Best way to get good tools and save money. Save $150-$500 and buy a set.

They have mechanics sers that rock.

Do t worry about buying 2 sets of the same socket or whatever. You can never have too many fucking tools.
>>
>>1050309
Harbor freight has some nice magnetic screw trays that are a good stength and hold a lot.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.