[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I recently won a Siemens Simatic S7-1200 PLC with software license

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: 197468_LB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg (106KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
197468_LB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg
106KB, 1000x1000px
I recently won a Siemens Simatic S7-1200 PLC with software license in a SkillsUSA competition. I'm learning to do PLC programming as part of my degree, but I'm at a loss as to what I should do with this thing. I was thinking about putting a switch panel in my car to control various functions, but this PLC needs a 24v supply and my car battery is 12v. Is there any way around that?
I've also been thinking of an automated bong system, but I'm not sure if it would be viable. Any other ideas for a project I could use this in?
>>
>>1048067
gardening automations?
>>
>>1048067
>this PLC needs a 24v supply and my car battery is 12v. Is there any way around that?
ever heard of a transformer?
>>
File: WorldSkills-USA-Logo.png (32KB, 738x650px) Image search: [Google]
WorldSkills-USA-Logo.png
32KB, 738x650px
SkillsUSA?

AWWWW YEEAAHHHH. State champion, nationals second place, and I competed on the WorldSkills USA team.

Good choice, m80. I just hope your industry doesn't die as soon as you win medals like mine did
>>
>>1048124
> car battery
>24vdc supply
> transformer
1/10

>>1048067
The reason they gave you a plc is nothing to do with letting you build something cool or exciting it's purely a marketing circle jerk.
You put in effort to your project for this competition and then they reward you by essentially getting you to use their product and try to influence any company you might work for in the future and give you some hardware that costs them literally nothing to make and then make you feel like you owe them something? Fuck that
If you have any integrity you will throw it in the trash, otherwise put it on eBay and buy yourself something for a project you actually want to do
>>
File: dinpowah_njtn45.jpg (122KB, 1112x788px) Image search: [Google]
dinpowah_njtn45.jpg
122KB, 1112x788px
>>1048067
>this PLC needs a 24v supply and my car battery is 12v. Is there any way around that?
I looked a bit and cannot find anything to do this directly. :|
There is a shit-ton of inverters that convert 24vdc to 12vdc, and a shit-ton of inverters that convert 24vdc to 115vac, but I could not find one single converter that would convert 12vdc directly to 24vdc.
So it's a 115vac inverter, and then a 24vdc power supply on that.... My inner autist is not pleased. :[

Also I can only find stubby little pieces of DIN rail on aliexpress. WTF?

If you wanted it for home use, you can get a little DIN ps for like $15--pic related
(I could not find out how much basic current the damn thing draws... the manufacturer's website has 5000 links saying how great it is, and no link that gives the basic specs. I'm sure there's a real-actual-spec-sheet somewhere on there, but good luck finding it)

Lastly--before using this thing for anything real impressive, I would want to know what happens when that software license expires, or that version is no longer "current".... Will you be able to do anything with this PLC at all? I mean,,, it will keep working as it is, but will you still be able to change the programming at all?
-------
A lot of programmable industrial level stuff has tag-along/maintenance costs. Software is often one of them.
>>
An s7 1200 is way overkill for anything you can do in a car.

Still, if you wanna use it, then use it.

Hook two 12v supplies together to make a 24v source.
>>
>>1048346
I meant to add: Din Rail is cheap and easy to find here: http://www.newark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?pageSize=25&st=din+rail&catalogId=15003&categoryId=800000004816&langId=-1&storeId=10194
>>
>>1048067
I will buy this off of you as I am an automation tech and would love a decent PLC to hone my skills on.

temp email, shoot me a timestamped proof of you having this and we will talk

Set [email protected]
>>
>>1048366
goddamned filter type"chtthquy" in place of "cancel"
>>
File: derplo_01ur892.png (18KB, 600x441px) Image search: [Google]
derplo_01ur892.png
18KB, 600x441px
>>1048346
>Hook two 12v supplies together to make a 24v source.
Does this work? ,,,,,,, Is it wise? ,,,,,,,
Internet experts express cautions about it being perilous.

I was always under the impression that you're not supposed to hook power supplies in series OR parallel.
>>
>>1048387
>Internet experts express cautions
>Internet experts
>fresh frozen

Google "DC to DC step-up converter 12-24v" - theres about a million of the fucking things, from about $9.99 upwards. None of which makes this anything other than a solution looking for a problem, but, nevermind.
>>
>>1048168
What is a step-up transformer?
>>
>>1048404
It takes a lot more than a transformer to step up DC voltage. It is easily doable but just saying "transformer" is flat out retarded. The addition of "step up tranformer" further confirms the retardation/bait.
>>
>>1048387
How do you think batteries work when you put more than one in anything? Hook 2 1.4v AA cells together you get 2.8v and power a TV remote. Hook 6 18650 3.7v batteries together for around 22 volts and power a laptop.

Hook 2 car batteries together and you can run a 24v PLC no problem. Actually finding a way to make a single 12v battery give you 2 independent supplies might be more of a challenge but I'm sure it would be possible with a bit of thought.
>>
>>1048392
>Google "DC to DC step-up converter 12-24v" - theres about a million of the fucking things
I know about those, but the ones I've seen don't have real generous current limits. And most I've seen were really pretty dinky.

>>1048447
>How do you think batteries work when you put more than one in anything?
A (switched-mode) power supply is not the same thing as a battery...
>>
>>1048482
I thought the point was to put it in a car.
>>
File: DSC_0518.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0518.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
Siemens simatic S7-1200 is junk. You should sell it on eBay and stick with Allen Bradley.

Pic is from a service call I was on recently for a Kodiak cartoner using that same plc. one of the outputs fucked up so as to that it was always outputting 24v. I didn't have Siemens software installed on my laptop at the time so I ran a wire from the input (photoeye) right to a motor relay and bypassed the plc. A week later I got a call that one of the glue head wouldn't stop firing glue. Another output fucked up and was stuck on. I readdressed the 2 outputs to spares and haven't heard back yet.

tl:dr I've seen Siemens units fail more often than Allen Bradley. Don't trust that unit.
>>
>>1048433
>The addition of "step up tranformer" further confirms the retardation/bait.

Nah, you have to be retarded to believe that a step-up transformer is nothing more than a transformer.
>>
>>1048433
Takes a lot more than a transformer to step down DC voltage correctly.

0/10
>>
>>1048433
I guess we have a lot of idiots, but clearly you must be a genius.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=step+up+transformer
>>
>>1048067
Make a mdf board up with some din rails, psu, lights, cable management and anything you fancy of ebay and just try things out. I cut my teeth buying shit products like a bread maker, gutting the pcb and trying to replicate the functionality
>>
No one in the US uses Siemens.

>PLC programming as part of my degree
>doesn't know what a boost converter/step up voltage regulator is
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.