[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I put this 6x6x4 inch waterproof electrical box on a tall square

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

I put this 6x6x4 inch waterproof electrical box on a tall square pole and put a POE switch inside it to power a few security cameras. I drilled a small hole in the back to get power and 1 cat5 cable in, as they ran through the internals of the pole. I then punched the hole out of the bottom for the wires from the cameras to enter it.

Am I paranoid to have liberally caulked the entire box and elevated the switch as far from the hole as possible? I don't even want the humidity in the air to enter that box.

Is anyone else as big on waterproofing, or is this overkill?
>>
>>1047585
You're supposed to use cable glands for outdoor IP66+ enclosures.

I work for a company that makes outdoor LED power boxes and our enclosures are vented with a gore membrane vent.
>>
Honestly, if at all possible, I'd put the switch inside and run cable up the pole.
>>
>>1047585
Consider condensation when the temperature drops, put a bunch if silica in there as well
>>
Depends on the temp. If it gets really cold, you may need to improve the enclosure with a heating unit. I used to sell external boxes that would contain various high powered modems.
>>
>>1047691
The wire runs through a conduit underground to a junction box at the bottom of the pole. It can't go up the side without being easily tampered with and looking like shit

>>1047694
>>1047697
Good point, sudden drops in temperature in Houston are unlikely and I expect the heat from the switch to keep such a small box warm enough to avoid condensation but that's a great thing to keep in mind. Silica would probably be sufficient
>>
>>1047975
How about a conduit? If you can, drill screw holes in the pole and mount with those, or use straps.
>>
Switzerland
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.