[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/, i am doing science studies but now i'd rather

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Infantry_Tactics.jpg (111KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
Infantry_Tactics.jpg
111KB, 500x750px
Hey /diy/, i am doing science studies but now i'd rather do woodworking or metalworking

What should i do ? Does woodworking/metalworking has a bright future?
I feel like id be happier as à furniture maker or something similar
>>
>>1046438
>Dropping out for a trade
>at the age of 50 with a destroyed body thinking back where it went wrong.

Finish your study, switch afterwards.
>>
>>1046517
I quit media study for woodworking. The school teaches me furniture and whatnot, which is true what you concerning the body. But now Im interring at a harpsichord builder for the second time which is the fuking best.

So learn a trade then develop a craft. Or design furniture and try to sell it
>>
>>1046438
Why not both? You can become an engeneer and find well paid job to secure finaces. You can woodwork in your free time and slowly trasition to become a full time woodworker if you feel like it. IMO studies are better choice long term unless you already have fully equiped workshop, skills, knowledge of your local market and generally expiriece in woodworking as source of income.

>>1046517
>at the age of 50 with a destroyed body thinking back where it went wrong
I know 2 woodworkers that are past time of retirement and are OK healthwise. You won't destroy your body if you work safe - never pick up heavy thing with your back, use ear protection whe working with loud machines, use masks to cover yourself from harmful fumes/wood dust, etc.
IMO woodworking is healthier that any kind of deskjob, because you've got more movement during work.
>>
Who needs work? You can make enough money without going work.. fcking slave!
>>
Do those things as a hobby then. Maybe it is enough to satisfie your need for some practical work.
>>
I strongly suggest combining your interests.

Become a mechanical engineer but take plenty of machine shop courses so you get fucking hands on experience no lecture or book can convey.

Then you'll be a much better engineer who designs machinery humans can fucking work on and doesn't send unmachinable or otherwise retarded requests for quotes that the machine shop has to unfuck. Machinists correct MANY stupid engineer tricks.

You can then outfit a fine home machine shop and even produce things for profit.

Many older engineers could hop on a mill or lathe and whip out their own prototypes.

Your education is a huge edge over skilled tradies with narrow knowledge. Machinists have to get gud at math and CAD/CAM so you'll have that edge too. You will gain a depth of understanding a mere engineer or a mere tradie won't have or won't have as soon.

Lastly, your work and hobby fun will be different enough that you enjoy your hobbies more.
>>
Intersecting
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.