[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home business ideas. Hello /diy/, I am currently have an unfinished

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

File: acres-of-sprouts.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
acres-of-sprouts.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
Home business ideas.

Hello /diy/, I am currently have an unfinished basement in Northern Alberta that is basically unused. Currently I am looking to supplement my income. I already have plans for hunting (if the only gun course instructor would answer my fucking calls), fishing ect. My wife currently gardens in a VERY small patch. I was thinking about installing a small garden in the basement and growing high value crops, like herbs or mushrooms and selling as many as I can over the winter, maybe micro greens. I could potentially even approach local restaurants.

I have dabbled in computer repair, video game console modding, cell repair ect. I have also been looking at leveraging other skills I have like teaching piano.

However I am looking towards DIY for a decent, basement business I could run. Any information or resources is helpful.
>>
>>1046184
>mushrooms
that's what I would have suggested
>>
>>1046204

Any suggestions on a strain? I know shiitake and oyster are popular. Any other suggestions? Nobody in my local market really sells mushrooms other than the super market (cremini, white button, oyster kits, portabello ect).
>>
>>1046205
other people might have an opinion, but I'd focus on whatever I could grow cheapest that has some demand

there are torrents with mushroom literature; if you have a library, that might be a good place to look for info

earlier this year I tried spreading some wild native species onto logs....I don't think the season started yet, however I'm anxious to see if anything comes of it.....certainly growing them inside with jars or bags would be faster

I can't wait to try making some mushroom jerky
>>
Psilocybin would be most profitable.

Just need 1 spore print to start
>>
>>1046216

And in a grey area of illegal. Plus I have grow those in the past. Unfortunately I love in a small market. Those mushrooms quickly saturate the area and become unprofitable. When they don't sell, suddenly you are sitting on a pound or 2 of mushrooms you need to freeze/dry.
>>
>>1046334
Well, i tried geowing tomatoes and wasted a bunch of fucking money. Looking back i think i overwatered. Could try niche shit. Ive grown lemon tree starters from seeds from lemons in my local grocery store. Lemon trees dont grow in kansas but i was going to build a greenhouse around it if i ever got a few to grow. Fucking killed thos too.

If i were u id focus on high demand shit like u say but i dunno what. Maybe consider just growing your own food for persobal consumption if not.
>>
>>1046184
WAIT.

Unfinished basement.

U mean indoor swimming pool ;)
>>
>>1046415
Boy digging out a pool in a basement sure sounds fun, especially if it's a poured slab down there. Tell ya what, op, you build it and I'll buy the beer for the first pool party.
>>
>>1046184
If you're not willing to do drugs, herbs are a good bet. They're easy to grow, easy to clone, and sell for a good price. Try hipster co-ops in the city for "farmers market" days; they might have a day of the week reserved for local growers to peddle their produce directly.
>>
>>1046482

We have local farmers markets, at least once a week locally. We also have a local grocery chain that buys from "local" farmers.

As for the pool, it is a rental. The basement is concrete, but I would need to dig out around the water heater which sounds like a pain.
>>
>>1046184
You're better off asking the restaurants if there's anything they want

Frankly, you're looking at a blank sheet of paper, here. Possibilities are endless, basement = manufacturing and storage, you can make and sell anything or try your hand at dropshipping
>>
>>1047220
Candles
Make them in small tins, or small Mason jars. It's simple af. Sell them at your farmer market or local pharamcy/gift shop.
>>
>>1046184
how about furniture making.

https://www.gretadeparry.com/
>>
>>1047244

Super northern Canada mofo, so the shipping price out of here is hard. But this is interesting. Yes this is a blank slate. I will try to post some pictures.

>>1047359

Wife wants to do this, soap and bath bombs.

>>1047371

Thought about it, but I am not a very good carpenter and I have limited tools.
>>
>>1046184
Wasabi japonica is one of the most expensive legal plants and one of the most difficult to grow.

Selling anything edible is bound to get you into shit with the government.

Making and selling things, except overpriced garbage to dumb hipsters is rarely profitable. If you want a serious business you need to be the middle man; find a niche, import the goods and sell. E-cig shit is popular now.
>>
>>1047636

Expensive doesn't mean valuable. I live in a small town where sushi is acquired at either the grocery store, a gas station or the shitty mall restaurant. The chances of being able to sell fresh wasabi is slim.

How would selling edible materials get me in trouble? It is not different then people who sell farm fresh eggs, jams, meat ect. I am almost positive the menonite colony that sold me eggs and chickens doesn't get into trouble. Sure cooking certain foods may be more difficult, but I still doubt that.

Selling things to hipsters? Candles, soaps and bathbombs sell for a stupid price these days. People are literally retarded when it comes down to a half dozen ingredients dried into a cake that melts in water. But at 5-8$ a pop for about 1$ of materials, when you could potentially process 12 or more per hour? Seems like it isn't that big of a jerk off. Plus the old lady wants to do it, which keeps her busy and not giving me shit.
>>
Weed farm, bitcoin mining operation, pet breeding, etc. What the fuck do you want us to tell you?
>>
>>1047715

>> Weed farm

Did that both indoor and outdoor. Not very profitable.

>>Bitcoin mining
>>Implying it is more profitable than the cost of power

>>Pet breeding
This may be worthwhile. BUT it depends on the pet. Obviously the most space saving is reptiles or high end fish, but those have MASSIVE startup costs.
>>
>/diy/ gets tricked into helping someone set up their illegal grow operation
>>
>>1046215
You don't want to grow mushrooms on rotting logs, they often will leach wood spirits(methanol) out and cause the mushrooms to poison you

That's why tree lichen is poison while the same strain of "rock" lichen is delicious and nutritious
>>
>>1046184
Here are some ideas that people I know use as side hustles:
- Breed pure bred dogs, theres a friend of mine who breeds Pomeranians, two litters a year and each pup sells for 900$.
- Growing Morels or Button Mushrooms. My Uncle starts by steamming hay, then placing it in raised beds, then he takes spores cultivated from store bought mushrooms and dabs it in the hay. He staggers their growth but think he told me he sells a load a month for around 230-260$.
- Handyman work. Grab a tool belt with the basics, you'll spend weekends and evenings helping elderly people replace gutters or troubleshoot sink clogs. It's easy, people tend to be friendly and word of mouth keeps you busy.

Good luck OP!
>>
>have basement, wut do?
>BREED DOGS, BRO!
wtf - dont they need like light, (outdoor) exercise and shit - 'cellar dogs for sale - blind & exercise-free..'
>>
>>1046205
>know shiitake and oyster are popular. Any other suggestions?

The magic ones.
>>
>>1048979
>>1048988
>dogs
What you could do is buy a few dogs, big male ones, unfixed, and charge people to hang out with your basement unattended with the dogs. You'll be rolling in cash before yo know it.
>>
>>1049684
Backyard breeders are the scum of the earth. There are thousands of animals rotting away in shelters and people continue to shit out bastard non-pedigree garbage and making things worse.

That being said I know there's a boom in hot pepper growing right now. It's still kind of niche but chili heads pay big bucks for exotic and painful peppers. Bonus cash if you make your own hot sauces.
>>
File: goat.jpg (80KB, 466x468px) Image search: [Google]
goat.jpg
80KB, 466x468px
>>1049851
anon,
you're too innocent for this wobsite
leave before it's too late
>>
>>1046415
Idiot
>>
File: sonic fan comic robotnik eggman.png (84KB, 314x213px) Image search: [Google]
sonic fan comic robotnik eggman.png
84KB, 314x213px
>>1049851

You are adorable, anon, and do not belong here.
>>
File: 1431396898507.jpg (41KB, 380x358px) Image search: [Google]
1431396898507.jpg
41KB, 380x358px
>>1049851
>>
File: 1472952128834.jpg (4KB, 333x240px) Image search: [Google]
1472952128834.jpg
4KB, 333x240px
>>1049851
Sometimes I forget that some people here are... Uninitiated.
>>
>>1046205
psilocybin cyanesens. rake in that cash
>>
>>1046205
Seriously now, the process of obtaining truffles is very developed nowadays. You would spend a little on infrastructure but totally worth it.

Watch the vice episode of hamilton's pharmacopeia on magic truffles; The guys briefly explain and show their process.
>>
>>1046184
Dude try your hand at hand crafter colored glass jewels. Easy as fuck, somewhat cool to do and people pay a lot for those.

Crops require time to grow, skill to grow efficiently, tak a lot of space and attention. Running irrigarion pipes in your basement could be somewhat risky depending on the winter temps.
Food sector as one of the LOWEST profit margins ever. Ask any local restaurant owner.

You need to think about 4 major factors here, required time and skill level, profit margins and risk.

A little craft that requires about 20 hours of online class and 1000$ of initial investments seem pretty much a better option.
>>
>>1046205
have a book
https://u.teknik.io/yTvuz.pdf
>>
>>1050874
Same dude here.

Hell you could even spot small buisnesses ear you that have a shity website and come up to them with a web design offer.

It is easy as fuck to learn (when using prebuilt tools like wordpress and enfold).
>>
>>1050876
I like you we could be friends but im a truck driver and im always on the road maybe when i buy my own house will do this as hobby

Thanks fan
>>
>>1050149
>>1050040
>>1050019
This much faggotry plz go back to r3ddit you faggots
>>
High value crops, "herbs" and "mushrooms" ;D
>>
>>1050876

OP here I actually HAVE done wordpress website sales. I am a fucking awesome sales rep, visit businesses almost daily, could tap a large market.

I think this is a good hustle. 4 or 5 websites a month could net me 1500$ plus easy....
As for those recommending dog breeding, I have considered it, but I didn't particularly feel like getting into breeding any animals. The licensing is a pain.
>>
You're obviously not good at plants. Try small livestock. There's good money in chickens/rabbits/quail/etc. Also vermiculture. Mealworms and BSL would thrive in a basement.
>>
>>1046184

Make a secret sturgeon nursery. spray flexseal all over the walls and floor of your basement and fill it up with water to a couple feet of depth and set up pump/filtration/heater/aerator. When the sturgeon get to the right point bring them upstairs, slice it open, sort out the eggs, and have dinner with the rest.
>>
>>1051209
you would probably also need a big dehumidifier so your house doesn't rot
>>
>>1046184

the only thing worth growing is marijuana and maybe psychoactive mushrooms
>>
>>1051443
Gourmet mushrooms can net a pretty penny at farmer markets
>>
3D printing/CNC service for makers and other meme types.
>>
>>1049873
>>1050019
>>1050040
>>1050149
I guess you've never been to /an/
>>
>>1047725
Temminck's Tragopan. If they don't sell, eat and tie flies with the feathers
>>
>>1048988
Less exercise makes them more tender
>>
>>1048027
Lichens, maybe, but not oysters, shiitake, or chicken of the woods.
>>
>>1051209
lol. 20 foot sturgeon in basement pool, 50 years old before they produce skeins.
>>
>>1052486

Are you really arguing the validity of flooding a basement for raising sturgeon?
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.