[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone ever try making your own alcohol based cologne? Seen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: whiskey-scent-cologne[1].jpg (15KB, 570x390px) Image search: [Google]
whiskey-scent-cologne[1].jpg
15KB, 570x390px
Anyone ever try making your own alcohol based cologne?

Seen countless articles on it so I decided to give it a try. Let some cigar tobacco sit in grapeseed oil like it said then mixed the oil in with some grain alcohol and Jim Beam...and nothing really. No strong odor just some hints of the whiskey I could barely even smell on myself.

Tried adding more oil and even leaving some tobacco leaves in the atomizer with the mixture and I'm just not sensing a scent there. Maybe my nose is just fucked up.

Anybody else have any luck making their own colognes? Doesn't necessarily have to be alcohol based.
>>
>>1045983

just fucking drink and smoke you idiot
>>
>>1046003

I do but creating a cologne out of them sounded fun.
>>
>>1046003
or buy a car owned by a smoker
>>
File: p1040882.jpg (510KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
p1040882.jpg
510KB, 1600x1200px
>>1045983
>alcohol based cologne
yeah m8, I get all the bitchz
>>
>>1045983

If you're doing it because it sounded like fun and an interesting project then cool, that's awesome. If you're doing it to try and appeal to women then you're an idiot.
>>
>>1046029

Already answered that two posts up. I rarely if ever even wear cologne (I don't like pre-packaged smells the idea of wearing the same scent as someone else bothers me so I'd rather make my own) but it was just an idea that popped into my head yesterday and then I looked around online and saw some articles and decided to go for it.
>>
I made my own bay rum aftershave and I am sure it's a similar process. The trick to making the oil smell like what you want it to smell like is to let whatever herbs you want in it to sit for like a month. It takes some time for the fragrance to permeate the oil. Then add it to whatever alcohol and maybe another preservative agent and you are good to go. It's just that alcohol based colognes will dissipate relatively fast leaving only faint traces.
>>
>>1046068

Yeah most of these guides are like just let it sit for an hour but I wasn't smelling anything after that. I'm thinking about sitting the oil and tobacco mason jar in a crock pot of water for a couple hours.
>>
>>1045983
1) Alcohol is a good solvent. A really good solvent.

2) However, your average "thing that smells nice" isn't going to have enough aromatic compounds to make your alcohol potent enough.

3) even if you feed the same solvent through multiple batches of aromatic material, you're only ever going to reach the concentration of that material. For some things (e.g. probably some herbs? maybe citrus peel? Maybe vanilla?) this might be all the aroma you want. For most things, you're going to be disappointed, which leads us to

4) Distillation.

http://www.heartmagic.com/EssentialDistiller.html

With $400, a lot of patience, a bunch of work, and a thorough web search to find the boiling points of your desired aromatic compounds, you too can crudely refine your own aromatic compounds to mix into perfumes.

5) Or, y'know, buy them online, in better quality than you'll ever extract yourself:

https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Orange-Sweet-ounce/dp/B0019LPL8A
>>
>>1045983
Buy a tobacco fragrance oil or essential oil. Don't try extracting the fragrance yourself, because you risk extracting the nicotine as well.
>>
>>1046026
Most commercial colognes are made up of primarily alcohol.
You searched for a reaction image for this but didn't check that first?
>>
File: img-thing.png (54KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
img-thing.png
54KB, 300x300px
>>1047886
it was just a joke friendo. c'mon man.
>>
>>1045983
I have a shit ton of essential oils from my soap making. I make colognes with them all the time for my boyfriend.

He's got himself a leather fetish so most of the scents revolve around the leather fragrance oil I got from Crafters Choice
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.