[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone know of a good tool that will work as a calculator,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

File: Pepe112.png (66KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
Pepe112.png
66KB, 112x112px
Does anyone know of a good tool that will work as a calculator, but also do unit conversions?

I'm trying to add two distances shown in fractional feet and inches, then convert to decimal inches.
I've been searching for hours.

Please.
>>
theres a browser app for everything

your standard calculator can do that with the upside down L button so you put in the fraction

it looks like a/b and then theres another button that converts it to decimal
>>
>>1045541
Write the measurement as an improper fraction. So 2 and 3/32 inches would be 67/32. Now divide the top by the bottom. 2.09375. You can do this in a matter of seconds on any standard calculator or cell phone. If you want to do it automatically I'm sure you could find a program for a graphing calculator that would do the same. If you want to kick it old school a slide rule would get you very close also.
>>
Spend 30 minutes with a book on Python and write your own program to do this in 49 seconds
>>
>>1045541
Add the fractional feet and inches together. Convert to a decimal. It's pretty easy and I don't understand why you need a tool.

Did you know that 1/4 inch plus 1/2 an inch equals 3/4 of an inch which is also 0.75 inches. Math is some scary stuff man.
>>
why don't you get one of those casio calculators with the A/B/C function, that lets you input fractions, like this one
https://www.amazon.com/Casio-fx-260-SOLAR-Scientific-Calculator/dp/B000Q5XTBQ

i'm more than sure other scientific calculators have that function, but i keep a cheap casio in my tool box just for the function, though i have the slightly more expensive Casio fx-300MS that comes with a cover to keep it from getting too fucked up, i've had it for something like 10 years still works, though now i need to replace the battery
>>
>>1045546
Can you suggest an app? I've been in the Chrome webstore and haven't found any that can add fractional measurements. Also, I don't own a physical calculator.

>>1045549
I understand how to do the math mentally and on paper. That's not the issue.
The problem is the amount of times I need to do this.
What I'm doing is using blueprints found online to create buildings in 3DS Max. Not all of the sketches use the same units as max does. I will be doing this for literally thousands of projects. Every project can have hundreds of measurements. I'm trying to save myself from becoming braindead during 10-12 hour modelling sessions, and I don't want to build my own paper mill to save costs on the amount of paper I would need.

>>1045548
I wonder how I never thought of this... Thanks for the help. Cleared up all of my problems, I'm sure.
>>
>>1045550
i guess i should explain how to use it
input the whole number, press the a/b/c button, input the numerator, press that a/b/c button again, input the denominator, then your add/subtract/multiple/divide

it also works with just fractions, just skip the first step i said
>>
>>1045541
Fucking imperial.

When I work with these things I manage to do everything in my head

8-7/8" + 3-13/16" for example. My brain says:
"7/8ths is 14 plus 13 is 27 which is 11/16ths carrying 1 into 3 is 4 plus 8 is 12 and 11/16."
If i need to decimilize it i know that 11/16ths is .6875
>>
>>1045557
That's great. I'm looking for help though.
>>
>>1045553
Are you being facetious? Go ask someone on /g/ to write a script for you. Someone will do it after they make fun of you for a while.

I'd do it but I'm on a phone
>>
>>1045561
I'm being serious. I can't be the first person that ever needed a tool that works in this way.
And, I've been on /g/. Nobody cares.
>>
Dont they have calculators with unit conversions built in?
Like the project calculators they sell at the hardware store?
>>
>>1045553
>Can you suggest an app? I
nah man i was saying that as the example

but there is 100% a way to do it on a almost regular calculator, i had to do it at the tool and die school
>>
A calculator?
You literally just divide the fraction for the decimal.
express everything in inches (multiply feet by 12)

10' 3-5/16" + 2' 4-5/64
enter as
10 x 12 + 3 + 5 / 16 + 2 x 12 + 4 + 5 / 64

It's easy with a little practice.
>>
Wolfram alpha
>>
shit solution
use google if you're only doing a few of these real quick
12 and 3/4 inch, etc
"(12+3/4) + (5+ 1/2)" gives answer in decimal
>>
>>1045541
smartphone, with google
>>
>>1045576
etc:
to do feet if you don't know mult table for 12 off hand,
(feet x12) + (inches + fractional inch)

also this is stupid, but requires nothing but quick flip to google on another tab
calculator, calculator on phone, anything would work that way if you put in fractions as (x/y) and feet as (f*12)

look up something like simple "foot inches decimal app" and you can find something im sure
>>
File: metric.png (607KB, 1122x888px) Image search: [Google]
metric.png
607KB, 1122x888px
>>1045541
Hi!, do you have a moment to talk about the metric system, our lord?
>>
>>1045541
>I've been searching for hours.

are you effing kidding?
one single search and at least these two were on the first freaking page

http://www.inchcalculator.com/inch-fraction-calculator/
http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/construction/feetandinches.php
>>
>>1045556
also forgot to mention it also works for product after your inputted equation is solved, just press the a/b/c button after the equal button
>>
>>1045541
If it's just a once off, use Wolfram Alpha
>>
>>1045583
Sure thing. As soon as I need 21 different prefixes for measurements of length I will give you a call.
>>
>>1045541
yes. google will output to decimal inches. just type in your equation in the search bar
>>
>>1045610
1. micron,
2. thousandth,
3. x/128th,
4. x/64th,
5. x/32nd,
6. x/16th,
7. x/8th,
8. x/4th,
9. x/2,
10. inch,
11. foot,
12. yard,
13. mile,
14. furlong,
15. fathom,
16. chain,
17. link,
18. rod,
19. hand,

and those are just the common ones, there are a metric shit ton of others i'm not going to include and not a single one is easily converted into other without knowing their conversion rate

i say this as an american, fuck SI measurements

that 21 prefixes that can actually be cut down since there are a ton that aren't commonly used, like deca, and everything after kilo
in everyday life, you'll use milli, centi, (standard unit), kilo, and they all have the same conversion rate no matter which unit you are using, so you just need to know 4 prefixes, the other stuff only matters to engineers and scientists, and here is the kicker, they are already using them. . .

SI well and truly needs to die
>>
>>1045626
>i say this as an american, fuck SI measurements
>fuck SI measurements
>proceeds to extol the virtues of the SI system of distance measurement
>>
>>1045626
imperial is still good for rough hand work, that's why it's still so common in america. When you are doing shit out in the middle of nowhere, don't have calibrations and shit, some of that works.

There's a good number of things still used in common life/ manual labor/ lowtech shit that it's good for, and you don't need to measure with anything more than your own body.

There are some things also kinda weird to use metric for. "That guy was about : "6 and a half foot" "5' 8" "that kid was just under 5 foot" versus that guy was around 2 meters, that kid was around 1 meter.

Average man+- someodd
inch=knuckle
6inch is finger to wrist
foot is a foot
yard would be a pace or stride (one foot, skip, the other foot)
The reason everything is power of 2 is because you can eyeball or fold shit over easy to make a half. and then half of half of half etc.

Old plumbing stuff is still called in fractions instead of degrees by some guys: "I need a 1/8 bend" vs 45 degrees, since it takes 8 to make a circle
measuring wires, washers, bolts by gauge etc

the reason it doesn't die in america is because it has too much utility in large portions of life in a very big chunk of land. We have states bigger than nations over there
>>
Talk about doing things the hard way!

Just ask Google "what is x in y?", convert both to the same units, then add together and convert into whatever units you require. The app you require is called Google, and it takes about 20 seconds.
>>
>>1045541
smartphone

Maybe you should just use the metric system
>>
>>1045634

you are so deluded, its quite sad actually.

only reason those measurements are "good for roughing it" is because its their most used measurement system.

if you grew up with metric, using metric would be just as easy and quick, but growing up on imperial, you have to convert meters to feet in your head to get a accurate picture of what you are measuring.
>>
I have a better solution. Stop using inches and foot and learn normal measurements
>>
Wolfram Alpha app. Or the website. It makes anything math trivial.
>>
How about looking for a plugin that lets you enter your measurement in its native unit and converts it to your chosen standard. or just use a real design program like Solidworks™.
>>
File: screenshot_complete.png (13KB, 595x480px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_complete.png
13KB, 595x480px
>>1045541
SpeQ is pretty damn handy at that if you're on Windows
>>
>>1045626
you forgot this one

>barleycorn
>>
File: metric vs imperial.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
metric vs imperial.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
>>1045541
>>
>>1045553
Not sure about max, but pretty much everything else in the auto desk suite has unit conversion baked in. When you're putting in a dimension, you can do things like "3ft + 3/32in + 7mm" and it will just werk. Can also do multiplication and division in those fields, which is often helpful.
>>
25mm= knuckle
150mm is finger to wrist
300mm is a foot
1 meter would be a pace or stride

that guy was 200cm 180cm kid was just under 150cm
>>
>>1045541
HP-48g, gx, or 50g, best thing for this and super easy to program.
>>
File: 1953046421.png (96KB, 834x657px) Image search: [Google]
1953046421.png
96KB, 834x657px
>>
>>1045567
Yep, I have one. OP should so look there.
>>
>>1045610
You already use most prefixes
like nano, mega, tera and kilo.
Those prefixes not only are used in the International System

Also, the imperial system was created to scam people less intelligent. So they can pay them less for example (inch was commonly used to pay in salt)
>>
>>1045634
is good for rought, because is what you use commonly
Pipes and tubes in my country are no longer imperial sizes. But some people still call 2" to the 50mm, 1" to 25mm, and so. Just because they are used to.
Younger people don't
>>
>>1045681
This, its sad actually they measure things like cave people.
>>
>>1045553
Literally every single application for 3d modeling has unit conversion built in. Just go to user or project options, and specify metric or imperial, whichever. It'll auto-convert everything.
>>
>using imperial measures for anything serious
>>
>>1047033
>being stuck in only one measuring system
>like using only one language...
>>
>>1047071
yes it feels great especially when it is accepted and used nearly everywhere
>>
File: 2016-08-31 15.29.20.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-31 15.29.20.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
>>1046677
all metric
>>
>>1045541
make one yourself or get a friend to make one using visual basic- or a similar program. once you figure out all the coding for it and set up an interface it should be relatively simple. you could even get a 16yo to do it for you with a little coding knowledge.
>>
File: 1 pudding.png (33KB, 671x587px) Image search: [Google]
1 pudding.png
33KB, 671x587px
>>1045541
www.wolframalpha.com

Will convert any fucking thing you want. Pic related...
>>
>>1045906
lol, what the fuck is that from? I'm actually loling on it.
>>
Calculators
>>
File: Construction-Master-Pro_Med.jpg (168KB, 337x610px) Image search: [Google]
Construction-Master-Pro_Med.jpg
168KB, 337x610px
>>1045541
>>
>>1047071
I'll just leave this here...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter

In science shit needs to be accurate. I understand that you want to use the system you are used to and it should be okay for everyone.
But when you start doing any project that is even remotely international then you just should suck it and use a standardised and almost global measuring system (not the US and Burmese), otherwise shit will hit the fan (as the link above proves).
That's why us biologists use Latin for species instead of my native tongues of Finnish or Swedish, sure, I speak English, Norwegian, a bit of Danish, Spanish and French but the one I get understood internationally is SI and Latin.

Summa sumarum
Imperial measuring are good to use ONLY in the US and Burma. Everywhere else you are considered a backwater hillbilly if you try to push it in a serious project. And for a reason.
>>
>>1045541
>OP doesn't do everything in mils
>>
>>1049602
Metric system, best system.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.