[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you make this without a 3d printer? Its 18cm wide.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: dome.png (49KB, 1058x721px) Image search: [Google]
dome.png
49KB, 1058x721px
How would you make this without a 3d printer? Its 18cm wide. The holes are for fibre-optic strands.
>>
does it need the square holes?

otherwise buy a bowl and grill the little holes
>>
>>1045068
Yeah it does
>>
>>1045069
Look here, explain yourself.
Why do the fucking holes need to be square?

What is your end goal? /diy can't help if you don't explain.
>>
Do you have a 3D model?

I would print it in two pieces with a shit ton of support.

Make two shells, an inner and outer that would then be glued together.
>>
>>1045072
Are you retarded?
Don't be offended I'm genuinely curious.
>>
File: testrender.png (425KB, 910x579px) Image search: [Google]
testrender.png
425KB, 910x579px
>>1045071
The holes need to be square because I need to stick them with trace paper on the inside to create pic-related

>>1045072
Yeah, I'm surprised how shit the makerbot replicater 2 is for supposedly cutting edge. It wouldn't even start this object because it was trying to lay down too many base points too fast, and the strand wouldn't stick to the base. So it just dragged this blob of spaghetti all overt the place.

THen I printed it with heaps of support and it did the same thing. Piece of shit.
>>
>>1045060
Balsa would work well at that scale, and be very workable. Might need more supports though. Rectangles aren't the strongest...
>>
>>1045060
>>1045068
>>1045083
desu what this guy said. Find a plastic bowl of the right thickness and use a hot exacto to cut out the trapeziums. Drill the holes.
>>
>>1045083
That sounds like adhesive issues. If you have a decent first layer, you should be able to print this. It would take a shitload of tweaking though. In fact, I would put supports in most of the square cutouts and remove them later.
>>
>>1045083
PEI plastic and a glue sheet to stick it down on to the bed. ABS/PLA will stick insanely when heated and pop free when cool. Assuming that is why you aren't using the 3D printer. I've done nothing more than take the prints off the bed for the last 30 or so prints and still going.

Also what is that thing.
>>
>>1045089
Whats a glue sheet? Do I put glue on a sheet? The IT guy is really butthurt when it comes to using the 3d printer so he may not let me do it.

Its installation art inspired by the blade runner blimp
>>
>>1045091
3M glue sheet. Its basically what some of the professional build surfaces are held on by just not precut to size. Withstands the temperatures.

The PEI plastic sheet I put on has worked better than, glass, hair spray, PET tape, painters tape, ABS slurry/juice, glue sticks, and even specialized 3d printer specific build surfaces. Just cut it to fit, glued it on with the sheet, and have had to do fucking nothing ever since.

I've not had so much as a curled corner since then. Nothing has come loose in any way.

It basically has the properties of strong glue when heated and doesn't have any adhesion when cool so usually you can just pick them up by hand or use a dull art spatula to remove it. IT guy should thank you for it, because it will make the miserable pile that is makerbot a lot better.
>>
>>1045095
Interesting
>>
>>1045097
Damn forgot to mention I actually stole the idea. There are professional printer beds made of aluminum that come coated in PEI. But rather than go through the pain of ripping out and rewiring a bed with a new one. I just cut out the middle man and used the plastic directly. Pack of the glue sheets and the PEI and the knife to cut it with were maybe 30 bucks total. Really made me regret the fancy glass upgrade kit I had bought previously.

You can wipe it down with alcohol to clean it if needed, but I never do because it has yet to need it.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.