[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hot tub restoration. Got this free hot tub. I know it has 1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

File: 20160826_090148.jpg (4MB, 2120x2212px) Image search: [Google]
20160826_090148.jpg
4MB, 2120x2212px
Hot tub restoration.

Got this free hot tub. I know it has 1 small leak. Not sure about the heater and pumps yet, but i can repair or replace as needed.

What I would like to accomplish - refinish the inside with flat black gelcoat, inseart several 5mm leds into the actual fiberglass or at least around the top but submerged and facing down. Ideally i will have my buddy (a pro pinstriper/artist) lay some glow in the dark designs and have the 5mm be UV or backlight. Repar the rest as needed.

Possibly converting the heatsource to 1 or 2 used natuaral gas hot watter hearters if it proves to be more cost effective.

I have a better idea than the shitty broken wood stand and panels that are on it wich I may post if I get the details wirked out.

I have dona a little fiberglass, plumbing, carpentry, etc.... so i believe i can pull this off even though it is a seemingly large project. For me anyway...

The problems I need yall for would be the cracks in the pics. Im assuming i can just rough it up with some 60-80 grit and lay patches over it? Should i grind the cracks down and fill them with resin?

I likely will patch any famiberglass holes from the back or maybe lay an extra layer of mat. I'm just worried about future cracking. If i'm commiting to this i want it to last a long time.

Also. The 5mm led i have used in the last have a plastic holder. You drill a hole and insert the ring and led so it is surface mounted then. I'm worried about the obvious problems of several hundred holes and leaks. Do i just lay a layer of fiberglass over them or is there some sort of quality epoxy i should gob on the back of them?

Leaks aren't a super large concern since my stand for it will be easy access and there is no floor under it thst would be hurt by water damage.

Anyone ever taken on a project like this? Perhaps a fiberglass boat or subwoofer box?

Any tips or input welcomed. Plus, related projects.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160826-090201.png (4MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160826-090201.png
4MB, 1440x2560px
>>1044289
Gross i know, much bleach and sanding will take place soon. Essentially i just took this hot tub for the form. I have a far away friend that used to work in his family's company building hot tubs for many years. He said he could help me source parts and troubleshoot problems.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160826-090205.png (3MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160826-090205.png
3MB, 1440x2560px
>>1044289
This is the worst of the cracks. On the inside at least...

Not sure if the leaks are comming from here or nah?
>>
That is garbage, just stop
>>
>>1044289
Looks like your windows are in desperate need of tlc before you go fucking around with a shit tub.
>>
>>1044298
Hate to agree with this guy.... but that thing looks like it was a pos when new. If you waste the large amount of money it'd take to fix it still wouldn't be a good hot tub.
>>
>Possibly converting the heatsource to 1 or 2 used natuaral gas hot watter hearters
Hot watter hearters arent going to be able to do it
If you know someone that can repair radiators ,look for pool heaters that have leaking heat exchangers. You can get them for free or next to nothing.
But fix yo damn house first
>>
>>1044302
>But fix yo damn house first
why? it matches the tub
>>
>>1044289
>Hot Tubs

ha ha enjoy your money pit anon

There's a reason that people give them away
>>
>>1044289
What a piece of shit. Did the previous owner also use it a chicken coop?
>>
>>1044298
Thanks for the advise. No. Ive wanted a hot tub my whole life and id rather not buy a new one. Also dont want a used piece of shit that i cant work on.

If i use this form and build or "rebuild" it then i can fix it when it fucks up.

Also, i'm a tinkerer by nature and have been looking for a project to takle over winter. The way i see it if i can build what i want and keep it under the cost of new then I won. If not, well, i leaned a lesson.

It seems like any time my friends and i have a oarty the hot tub is crowded right off the bat. Im going to gather 3 or 4 of them and put them together in my shoo with a centralized pumping and heating station.

Pic related
U must contruct additional pylons
>>
>>1044300
Lol, thanks. That's my shitty crackhouse i bought for storage its getting borded up soon as i get lumber.
>>
>>1044301
Well fuck... what if i covered it in rhino liner and all the electronics happen to work. ~$200 worth it u reckon?
>>
>>1044302
Lol, thanks. Didnt think of that. Actually i do know a guy. And its a crackhouse for storage. Fuck fixing anything in it. It's getting bulldozed soon.
>>
>>1044309
That's what my dad said. I'm injured though and hate taking barhs instead of shower. My biddy's hot tub a coupke times a week did wonders till he killed himself and his family sold it...

Plus, I'm 30, married, got a good job, and debt free Next spring. I can eat a large bill for a few months if it doesnt work out. Then give it away as stated.
>>
>>1044338
Lol. No. They were given it and we used it as a swimming pool for 5 years. Then we used a winch truck and tore the fuck out of it getting it accross town to my place.
>>
money pit for sure.
just get a few inflatable hot tubs @$400 each
>>
>>1044293
>Those cracks
Jesus anon. Why'd you bother moving it? They come up all the time.

It's always 'for free, you haul'
It costs like a grand to get someone out to replace all the seals and pumps and heater and shit, they only last 3-5 years before needing major overhauls. Most of the time it's not much more to buy a new one. (Almost like they designed it that way)

cut it up into pieces and put it in the trash and wait for one that's not shit. I admire the idea of DIYing it, but don't pick one with a million cracks in the main body when ones that are actually restorable will be up all the time.

If you get one that's not trash, you pretty much need ot do above.
Take all the jets apart, and replace the gaskets so they don't leak. You might have to replace the tubing to the jets ( or just plug the holes and fuck jets)
Then figure out if there's any problems with the pump or heater or electronics.
>>
I'm all for saving free shit, but a hottub is not one of them.

That thing is junk.
>>
File: Rc9KADG[1].jpg (208KB, 1334x878px) Image search: [Google]
Rc9KADG[1].jpg
208KB, 1334x878px
>>1044289
>Got this free..
..way too expensive.
Not sure if that thing would give you [Pic Related] or Myxomatosis first. Nor do I see 'Hey Babe - wanna play in my hot tub?' working out anytime soon, leastways, not with Girls With Standards™
But respect your optimism anyway bro - that fucker really is hanging tho.
>>
File: 91OE31eQA6L._SL1500_.jpg (591KB, 1500x1391px) Image search: [Google]
91OE31eQA6L._SL1500_.jpg
591KB, 1500x1391px
Get an inflatable hot tub since you're a poorfag. You aren't going to fix that up for cheaper than an inflatable.
>>
>>1044293
this is not worth restoring
>>
If you look at the better made hot tubs, the major improvement are the supports between the frame and the fiberglass tub (prevents cracking) and insulation around the heating bits (less duty cycle on the heaters - more reliability). That's pretty much it.

The downside is that a gallon of gelcoat, resin, and a dozen yards of cloth is going to be almost $200 alone. Nevermind the hell that is grinding out fiberglass cracks.

To build better supports, rebuild a sturdy wood frame and then get some cardboard mail tubes. Do a wet layup of chopped mat atop the cardboard and connect it between the frame and tub as gussets.
>>
>>1045520
Thanks anon. Was considering steel pipe for a more sturdy fram and ease of access. If its really gonna const an arm and a leg i might just make sure the heater works and rhinoliner it.
>>
>>1045401
What they don't show in this picture is the clown car-esque position their legs must be in for them to all fit in there.
>>
>>1044356
Hahahhaha. Just had the image of sitting on rough ass rhino liner. And suddenly my hot tub water is pink and I'm feeling light headed.

I take it all back op. I want to see that nig rig, then I want to see the raw bleeding ass you get after using it. Take pics. Ill go get my popcorn ready.

But seriously, i spent nearly a grand making a piece of shit hot tub work so we could sell the house. It was a piece of shit. Similar to your pic actually. Crap jets, non existent insulation. The fucking thing cost a fortune to run since bad insulation. And really wasn't all that pleasant. But it was cheaper than getting it removed and then fixing the huge fucking hole in the monstrous deck it would leave behind.

Then bought a better house, wife thought i was fucking insane to get a new hot tub. Won't lie. 10 grand. Fucking thing is amazing, like two high class Las Vegas hookers amazing (also known quantity). Damn wife spends more time in it than i do. And it costs about 15 bucks a month to run in chemicals and electricity. The good ones are good (expensive) for a reason. Just watch for the bullshit scam artist types. If you see them in late night commercials, they are shit.

Hot Springs, vanguard. That's the tub i got if your curious
>>
>>1046072
Damn. So take out a home loan and get a good tub. Will do i guess. Maybe the dogs want a new swimming pool. Fuck...

It's all good tho. I'm digging a tunnel to the garage to keeo busy and provide hot tub trips without going outside. Guess ill just try and have 10k saved by the time i get the tunnel done
>>
>>1046108

bait
>>
>>1044351
>U must contruct additional pylons

fuck this whole post is good
>>
>>1044879
>this germ also can't be seen by the naked eye

i don't believe it
>>
File: dasparkhotel_01.jpg (426KB, 1600x1300px) Image search: [Google]
dasparkhotel_01.jpg
426KB, 1600x1300px
>>1046292
What bait? My house and garage are pretty close together. I have access to near free heavy equipment rental (cost of fuel) and my wife wants a storm cellar. Its not my fault the only logical place to put said celler is between my house and garage ;) garage has a gravel floor and my house has a tiny jerkoff mud room that is perfect for a staircase down.

Coming up with the funds for concrete has been the only shitty part. Was looking into concrete cloth or galvanaized quanset huts but i dunno. Might wait till i get caught uo in april and get a few concrete trucks in here and do it right.
>>
>>1046419
I may not get the shitty hot tub fixed up if it really costs this much but the tunnel is 100% a go. Been working towards it for 3 years. Come april or may i'll have it dug out and done. Will post build if there is interest. Nothing special tho. Just 8'x8' concrete tunnel like 30 feet long.

And no, im not gonna do ot all by hand alone and die. Hiring a contractor to survey the site and pour the concrete.
>>
this has to be the dumbest thread I've seen in awhile.

not sure to laugh or not
>>
>>1046420
Whatever, ignore the haters. I'm interested in your tunnel. Post when ready
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.