[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Greetings. I'll get right to it. I'm going to b

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: image.png (446KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
446KB, 750x1334px
Greetings.

I'll get right to it.

I'm going to build a modern Macintosh out of a G4 Cube.

This is a project that will be extremely difficult (for me) , but I hope it goes well.

I'm planning on actually using this machine too, so it won't be just a toy.

Any advice for someone who isn't very experienced at this sort of thing?

Any kind of help is appreciated.

Also. This is the guide that i'll be using. Any thoughts?
http://pmg5.dozuki.com/Guide/i7-3770S+Power+Mac+G4+Cube/2/1
>>
>>1043764
or wait for a modern Macintosh SE
>>
Don't fuck up a G4 cube. You could easily make a similar looking enclosure yourself out of Acrylic.
>>
>>1043910
>Easily
>Aesthetically pleasing

Choose one.
>>
>>1043912
They're not mutually exclusive, skrub.
>>
File: captain-obvious-south-park.jpg (31KB, 436x327px) Image search: [Google]
captain-obvious-south-park.jpg
31KB, 436x327px
>>1043914
>>
I hope you're looking at some sort of new Mac Pro design, because vertical cooling is dank. I've noticed the original G4 Cube lacks some modern connectors and includes some useless ones.
It only has 2 USBs (make them 3.0s) and 1 RJ45, while there is an RJ11, two firewire, and two parallel looking ports that you probably won't use. You'll want an HDMI or two (replace the parallels) more USB (replace the firewires) maybe a thunderbolt or two, a more up-to-date power source, and a 3.5mm or two. I don't know much about computer internals, but I'm really looking forward to how this turns out.
>>
>>1043970
Thank you for the input.

The guide I posted adds 3 USB ports, which i'm going to do.

I don't know if I'm knowledgable enough to add my own HDMI ports, i'm not sure where they would go and how to put them in. I'm going to be relying on the guide heavily.

However, I am going to have help. My grandfather (who is an electrician) is going to help me put it together.
>>
The cooling setup in that guide doesn't seem terribly optimal. Why not a single exhaust fan with a duct directing airflow through the CPU heatsink?
>>
>>1043978
The board has a HDMI output on it, it doesn't actually have a VGA, so I don't know what else the guide expects you to use to hook up a monitor. In the likely case the port doesn't line up with a slot on the bottom of the computer, a short extension cable should work. You might want to get an electrician to make one up for you with correct shielding because I don't think you can buy them that short.
>>
File: DQ77KB.jpg (104KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
DQ77KB.jpg
104KB, 800x533px
>>1044020
Pic related
>>
>>1044020
It'll need a custom rear panel if he's using an itx motherboard since there won't be any extra room in the case.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.