[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /diy/ - is it safe to plug two surge protectors into an extension

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: maxresdefault.jpg (52KB, 1200x899px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
52KB, 1200x899px
Hi /diy/ - is it safe to plug two surge protectors into an extension cord? I was told not to plug a surge protector into another surge protector, so I was wondering if I could instead plug them both into an extension cord. Would this be safe?
>>
File: overloaded receptacle.jpg (95KB, 564x996px) Image search: [Google]
overloaded receptacle.jpg
95KB, 564x996px
>>1043399
The problem with plugging a surge protector into something besides a receptacle is that it might result in too much load on a single circuit, which may result in the wire heating, melting the insulator, and causing a fire.
>>
>>1043399
yes its safe... but you can simply plug the extension cord into the surge protector and achieve the same result
>>
It depends entirely on what you're plugging into it. If it's all low-power stuff, you can load up a bunch of shit into it. If you want a fridge and five microwaves next to the pool outside, you're gonna blow the breaker/fuse
>>
>>1043405
You can overload a circuit in a lot of other ways, too. The key is to just pay attention to what you're plugging in and how many amps you're drawing in total and not be stupid.

If you plug two power strips into the same circuit, just keep in mind that you do NOT then have twice the amount of current draw at your disposal and you'll be fine.
>>
>>1043405
This.

Not enough information, OP.
Heavy gauge extension cord? Basic "lamp wire" 2 strand extension cord?
What kind of load are you running through the power strip?

It's not a great idea at all. It can be done, short term, with industrial grade extension cords. Don't do it permanent. If you decide to do this, against advice, check the cord after a half hour and see if it's hot. If it's even warm, discontinue immediately. Everyone above me covered everything else.
>>
File: junction box.jpg (39KB, 576x576px) Image search: [Google]
junction box.jpg
39KB, 576x576px
>>1043405
I'll see your overloaded receptacle and raise you one...
>>
File: sdasdasd.jpg (730KB, 2391x1345px) Image search: [Google]
sdasdasd.jpg
730KB, 2391x1345px
Plugging them into each other is the same exact thing as plugging them in off an extension cord. It depends on what you're using them for is whether or not it becomes unsafe. How many amps are the equipment you're using drawing?

This setup looks crazy, but it's safe.
>>
>>1043399
In theory u can plug a metric fuckton of them into each other short of the dray from all the coper and surge lights.

Dont listen to those. I got tons of them plugged into each other.

Just be extremely careful not to overload the rating of the protector or your breaker. If u dont access the plugs a lot i would just do it.
>>
File: 212.png (54KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
212.png
54KB, 300x100px
>>1043405
Mfw that is my house
>>
THIS SURGE SURPRERSSOR IS AN OCTAGON!
>>
>>1043571
>stacking them back to screen
>scratching the screens
this triggers me
>>
File: Picture1.png (273KB, 1250x566px) Image search: [Google]
Picture1.png
273KB, 1250x566px
If by surge protector you mean power boards/strips then definitely safely if the have protection such as AU/NZ have a breaker on the cord end of them and UK have a fuse in the plug. Not sure about US/CA but if they aren't protected you need to ensure total load isn't greater than the sockets rating.
>>
Didn't know this was such an issue. I've had one surge protector/power strip thing plugged into another for a long time with no problems. The first surge protector has a router, modem, Xbox, and tv plugged into it as well as another surge protector. That 2nd one wraps around farther to my desk and has my computers and monitors and stuff. They never seemed hot or anything when i went to plug something in or change something so idk
>>
>>1043880
It normally isn't, it's not about number of things plugged in, it's about power drawn. You could have 50 phone chargers plugged in off one socket. Their power drawn would match that of two toasters. A toaster could draw 50% the sockets rating where as a phone charger is something like 2%.

A monitor may be only 7%, a desktop tower 20%, xbox 15% etc..
>>
>>1043714
This.
The only reason this 'don't daisy chain power strips' rule exists is because a single socket is generally rated for lower amps than the breaker so it can be overloaded even if the breaker isn't.
>>
The circuit breaker will trip if you draw too many amps. It's not really that dangerous.
>>
>>1043405
Wouldnt it just pop the breaker first?
>>
>>1044213

Different anon here:
I realize most electrical devices would have information like this listed on it somewhere as far as how much power it would draw, my laptop charging cable lists 50-60Hz for example. How do I take that information and determine what amount of power a socket or circuit (or whatever) could handle max, in order to find a rough percentage of what each device would be pulling?
>>
>>1044676
>50-60Hz
that's not the right number
amps or watts and voltage.
>>
>>1044630
>>1044672
see

>>1044499
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.