[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

American here. I have about $60,000 saved up, and have a tremendous

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 226
Thread images: 26

File: shipping-container-tiny-home.jpg (60KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
shipping-container-tiny-home.jpg
60KB, 600x338px
American here. I have about $60,000 saved up, and have a tremendous fear about being in debt. I would like to own my own place but the idea of a mortgage kinda freaks me out. I have heard about shipping container homes - I hear conflicting information about them. Are they just a meme? I honestly don't give much of a shit about the spaciousness of where I live, I'm more interested in cost-effectiveness, low maintenance, quality over quantity style living. It's fucking amazing how much money you have left over if you don't need to pay rent or a mortgage. So an idea I am kicking around is buying a cheap peace of land somewhere (I work from home so whereabouts doesn't really matter at this point), hook up sewer or septic, maybe add in some solar if there's enough money. Have enough land to add extensions at a later date if I need more room.

On a scale of 1-10 how stupid is my idea? Feasible or full retard?
>>
>>1043238
If you can reliably work from home for the foreseeable future, go for it. I wouldn't spend all that 60k at once though, try to spend half or less on property.

>also, there's nothing wrong with having mortgage, even if it's just like 30k mortgage or something.
>>
>>1043238
Don't do all that. Just use 30k of that on a downpayment of a legit house and save the other 30k for just in case. Dont waste money on those pos container homes that no one will buy 20 years from now..
>>
living in a box is not what I would call "quality"

>buying a cheap peace of land somewhere
>hook up sewer or septic
>maybe add in some solar
>add price of container, shipping, outfitting

how does that compare to buying a small house around the same area....

>>1043240
>Just use 30k of that on a downpayment of a legit house

that would definitely take a good chunk out and make payments easier
>>
>>1043243
get a good location which is
1) close enough to get a mailbox/road access
2) close enough to get utilities connected that are required by the state and federal government
3) has no history of flooding/burning into the ground(can be worked around via good building/bulldozing/clearing trees/etc)mud/landslides/etc
4) has usable resources(WATER, sun, wind, clay, growth soil, rock, gravel,etc)
5) build to the climate with rising temps and increased weather variation in mind for the foreseeable future
6)treat it as both building/living space AND retirement home. You'll probable end up dying of old age there unless you somehow up-sale the property
7) shipping container homes ONLY work for very specific niches and preparations(freezer/ac types for the insulation/waterproofing) Look into digging up a proper basement, septic system downhill of your property(not into the local watering hole), extra deep well, cisterns(at least 2 so if it leaks, you can fix the broken one), power(if you do it yourself get appliances MADE for the voltages you generate), heating and cooling(local resources and proper setup)

For idea's from here, try to give us the general area of the US you are planning to build on. The reason those shipping containers exploded as a meme is because they sometimes came with relatively cheap shipping/movement fees and could simultaneously be filled for onsite construction materials all at the same time.
>>
>>1043250
1 full retard putting a shipping crate home on top of a regularly rained out/mud flow hill that is dry as a literal desert 11/12's of the year
10 temps not exceeding 90 nor dipping below 50, solid foundation, no real bad weather, AND incredible cheap land and local utility hookups.
>>
Make sure you insulate it with plenty of crabmeat.
>>
>>1043238
>Cost effective
I don't see an uninsulated storage box as cost effective when it comes to heating and cooling. You'd have to insulate, which means lost space. Plus, have you ever cut through 3/4 inch steel? You'll need someone to do that. Ohh, and run power. Plumbing can be in the walls, except for drains.
>>
>>1043238
make sure you keep it underground, so when it collapses, we don't have to deal with your dumb ass again
>>
>>1043271
This. And consider using dumpsters instead. Sort of the tiny home version of shipping container houses. Much stronger per cubic foot and just as modular.
>>
>>1043325
>3/4 inch steel
Hahaha ha... ha.
That's only the frame not the walls where you'd want the holes. Have you ever seen a shipping container in person?
>>
File: loftedbarncabin.jpg.cf.jpg (27KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
loftedbarncabin.jpg.cf.jpg
27KB, 400x400px
Shipping containers are an sjw meme.
Try derksonbuildings.com
Pic related.
We have plenty of threads on/out/ about this, one is around 200 posts right now I think.

Posted from innawoods in same model cabin as pic.
>>
>>1043378
>derksonbuildings.com

They got someone squatting on every domain don't they?
>>
>>1043325
I wish those were 3/4" steel, I'd buy all I could and make a doomsday bunker!

I'd pack them with people voting for Hillary, and they'd be impregnable!
>>
You can buy a small 'manufactured home'eg trailer for about $10000 and it's actually livable. Park it on a $7000 lot out in the desert, spend $3000 on power hook up, water storage tank anchorage then, spend $40000 on meth and ammunition.
>>
>>1043453
>spending money on meth.
>trailer in the middle of the desert.

Its like you don't into Breaking Bad.
>>
>>1043453
Where can I find one that cheap? Are you talking about something made in the 1970's that I'd have to buy from some toothless hillbilly that's full of mold and cheetos fragments and that I'd have to pay thousands to transport myself? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place but everywhere I look these things run a minimum of like 30 grand and the ones at that price range look like hell.
>>
http://www.yaplakal.com/forum46/topic655903.html

russian anon here. read that platinum thread or just watch photos. that crazy guy built all the stuff by himself.
>>
>>1043238

Finance guy here...

Why are people so scared about debt?

Why do you want to spend 60k on a depreciating asset like a tiny disgusting home? You do realize you can buy a real home that will actually increase in value over time or hold value where your crack house will be worthless as soon as you spend 60k on it.

> bought a condo for 120K used 66k of debt

>put 10K into it fixing it up

>its been in increasing in value by 10% each year

>now its worth 220k. - 40k of debt left = 180 k equity

tiny houses makes no sense, but I guess that's why people stay poor
>>
>>1043355
Sure. I was taking a wild guess, I've never measured it. A typical person still isn't cutting those holes, however.
>>
>>1043729
Fuck off, Schlomo.
>>
Shipping container houses are more than a little meme-tastic and constraining.

Instead of "shipping container house" or "Tiny House" just think "small house". You don't have to build a McMansion, just a small home in somewhat traditional fashion. You can take the savings and invest in quality materials like higher than average insulation, heat-pump heating&air, etc. A small house built of quality materials won't require weird building code fights or masterfully engineered welding and cutting inside a tiny box.

Another good option, as mentioned by some people in this thread, would be to invest in a smallish home with outsized property on the edge of a metro area that you like. You might work from home but assuming you want good internet, movie theaters, stores, nightlife, (etc) you won't really want to live in bumfuckistan on someone's former hunting property.

Shipping Container - 2-Mostly Retard
TinyHouse - 3-Pretty Dumb
Build a small house- 7-Probably a good idea.
Buy and improve a small house- 6-Not a terrible plan
>>
>>1043656
Buy then from the manufactuerers new
Look up Clayton or Champion, they all have 'dealerships' like a car company.

Trailer homes are mass produced with inexpensive parts, economies of scale and shipping varies it's usually like a little over 3k to have them truck it to a lot and hook up utilities and anchor it. The smallest 500 sq ft models are very cheap. Call and ask one in your area.
>>
>>1043747
A typical person isn't trying to live longterm in a shipping container either
>>
>>1043729
>checked a house in Vegas.
>originally sold for $1.8 million in 2006
>foreclosed when the bubble burst.
>valued at $350,000 in 2012
>>
>>1043238
if you build it yourself, 60k will get you a real house.
>>
Keep in mind the whole point of home ownership revolves around having it paid off by the time you are too old to work. Thus if you don't have a retirement savings or the gobment takes it you can live for cheap in old age.
>>
>>1043729
Well you answered your own question
People don't comprehend some debt can be paid off later with profit

Even credit card debt can be incredibly useful because of its low payments
>>
>>1043747
Yeah, they are. With Home Depot level tools.
>>
>>1043747
They're skinned with 1.6 mm. Anyone with half a brain and some wiz wheel disks can cut those holes.
>>
>>1044113
Yep, can charge it off my truck inverter also.
>>
>>1043729
This shit here. I got friends that make slightly above minimum wage still at 30 that drive their same shitty thesaurus's car they had in high school and say they don't trust banks, but will literally never save up enough case to buy a new car but spend more on maintaince and lost wages than they would on a car payment.

>>1043238
If you just half ass budget your money, debt isn't a problem, just another bill. Hell lenders do 95% of the math for you and tell you what you a non-retard in your financial position can pay monthly and not change their lifestyle.

>Not to mention that interest rates are fucking ridiculously low right now.

I mean if you're renting, you're basically in debt now. If you live in the basement, I guess just stay there for the next economic crash and try to pick up someone's foreclosed shattered dream.
>>
>>1043729
Because of risk. Property doesn't always appreciate and its usually tied to factors out of your control, like the city deciding to build social housing smack dab in the middle of your neighbourhood.

Always fun when you have a mortgage and you can't get rid of it because of external factors.

"But buy something in a good area where that'll never happen!"

>tfw shit tier houses are over $800k in decent areas where I live

God I hope the market tanks
>>
>>1043238
A mortgage is one of the lowest risk investments you can make if you budget correctly. Your house retains value, so if something happens to where you are unable to continue paying, just sell it and pay it off, keeping all the equity you gained minus the interest you paid.
>>
>>1044472
It really isn't safe at all. In 20 or 30 years when your mortgage is paid off your neighborhood could be a ghetto shithole or downwind from a new coal powerplant or lord knows. Real estate investors know this, why they buy cheap, raise values through gentrification and sell high. You are the chump buying when property values are high, they are selling for a reason. They get paid when they get that money you lent, you pay all that plus interest over that time regardless of depreciation. Even basic wear and tear over that long of a time represents a shitty investment.

Mortgages and real estate are a hustle by people much richer and more knowledgable about the market then you and you're a sucker if you buy into it.
>>
>>1044472
My friend is buying a 166k house. He has a 30 year mortgage. He will, in total, pay over 400k on this mortgage. For him to turn a profit on this deal he'll have to wait for his house to over double in value, which it won't. How is this an investment at all?

Y'all people need to read rich dad poor dad or something, some finance redpill books.
>>
>>1044493
You're full of shit.
That doesn't make any damn sense unless he has a retarded adjustable rate with PMI and shady 0% down second loan with making no extra payments.
In fact, the only way I could make these numbers work is with assuming a constant rate of 7.5%, which is over double the rate of what a terrible credit score individual would get.
>>
>>1044493
>For him to turn a profit on this deal he'll have to wait for his house to over double in value, which it won't.
in 30 years? it easily could.
>>
>>1043729
> bought a condo for 120K used 66k of debt

HA. Do you think people would be buying 50k shipping container homes if there were multifamily family homes/condos in their area for 120k?

Houses in my area has risen more in price in the last 8 years than the total value of your condo after 7ish(my guess) years of 10% growth.

The difference between a 120k loan and a 800k loan is greather than the diference between a 50k box and an 120k condo.

I swear people who live in depressed areas shouldn't brag so much about the amazing real-estate opportunists. Your small time.
>>
>>1043238
I work for an architectural firm that has done quite a few container projects over the past decade. Residential and commercial, but primarily residential.
Its not stupid at all, you just have to know what you're getting into and recognize the benefits and the limits of the container.
It seems simple but the learning curve is pretty steep with containers. Unless you're going to hire a contractor who has had experience with fabricating containers, you run the risk of ending up with either a depressing metal box or an out of control budget. It may be better and more affordable for you to build a typical stick frame structure if it's going to be a diy build. I'm not trying to discourage you, I just want to warn you of some of the problems we often see.
Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them if I can.
>>
>>1044680
Yes in a lot of cases. Because it's trendy and the misinformation of its super easy and cheap because the shipping container is 99% already a house, just add a shitter and a front door and the chinks are paying you to take primo connexes that used to actually transport high end furniture and sometimes you find free pallets in them.
>>
>>1043656

You have to buy them from a private owner. People have them for sale all the time. My sister just bought a 2008 doublewide for 10k that only needed to have the carpet replaced. Price included 2k in moving costs. Just keep an eye out.

Another good option is bank-owned foreclosures. My mom makes a ton of money off of these. She buys them with the land for 25-40k, pays some down-on-their-luck repqirmen to fix them up and either sells them or rents them out. She always says "doublewide means I'm doubling my money."
>>
File: 1467309604293.png (64KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1467309604293.png
64KB, 300x169px
>>1043729
>My house is an investment
>>
>>1044542
he's slated to pay about 1200 a month.
>>
>>1043238
>buying a cheap peace of land somewhere
Is it really cheap when you have to own a car to go anywhere? A high-rise apartment/condo can be cheaper simply because it's in an urban area... you can take public transit, walk, or cycle.
>>
>>1043238
That's a bit like buying a used mobile home, except it's been completely gutted. You'll need to fix it up to make it livable and even then it may not last you 10 years.

Now as temporary housing on a plot of land while you save up to build a permanent abode it might make sense.
>>
>>1043729
>housing market crashes and nearly takes the entire economy with it
>reason has nothing to do with house owners
>reason has everything to do with 'financiers'
>"Why doesn't anyone trust our money?"
>>
>>1043378
got any pics?
>>
>>1043729
Jesus fuck you are detatcued from reality, nobody makes money off the housing market, houses are a shit investment, the market is oversaturated, most houses are shit to the fu king core, fuckers *constantly* doing everything to fuck you over as hard and fast as they can so you are stuck in a more shit situation than you were before.
Fuck you and your rich ass, i hope you die in an electrical fire.
>>
File: IMG_20160716_201730.jpg (524KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160716_201730.jpg
524KB, 2560x1440px
>>1044982
>>
File: 2286565[1].jpg (95KB, 640x854px) Image search: [Google]
2286565[1].jpg
95KB, 640x854px
>>1043669
boob shower for feet
just add dragon dildo and its perfect
>>
>>1043243
>buying a cheap peace of land
>cheap peace

Freedum isn't free
>>
>>1043729
I hate imaginary money. It's a big problem in this society

>Hey guys, why don't you take out loans to pay for college; your degree will be worth so much more and you'll be able to pay them off!

>Hey guys, buy houses you can't afford! Everybody deserves a house!

>Hey guys, treat yourself to nice things! That's what credit cards are for! That minimum payment sure is small!

Some of us like freedom, and that includes freedom from debt.
>>
>>1043238
Use half the money as a down payment. If you put 20% down on a 150,000 and then save the extra 30,000 you will be able to be unemployed for 3.5 years without losing the house.
>>
File: stereotype-jew.gif (7KB, 307x362px) Image search: [Google]
stereotype-jew.gif
7KB, 307x362px
>>1043729
>>1043239
>>1044187
>>
File: 1464635332949.jpg (727KB, 766x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1464635332949.jpg
727KB, 766x1200px
Living in a container is a meme.
>>
>>1044680

I live in Austin Tx you cocksucker.
>>
>>1045006

Yes, this why everyone at the hedge fund i work at have bought houses with mortgages. They must be stupid to take advantage of rock bottom rates of 3%

You think youre so smart but really you're fucking poor and retarded....which makes sense why you're poor
>>
>>1044440

Bro, yes houses don't always appreciate no shit.

but it is for certain a tiny home will just like a fucking mobile home. These are glorified shanties for millennial retards
>>
>>1044709

it's no wonder jews control the world.

Stupid white people like you don't understand finance and think it's evil magic that da joos use to keep you poor. math and economics work the same for everyone. You can actually get richer using the banks money! it's called capital!!! holy shittttttttttt!!!!!!
>>
>>1043243
If you work from home you should look at other areas...states even. i live in northern michigan. i purchased a nice house in town 2 bedrooms on the first floor, 2 on the second. 1 bath full basement. vinyl siding. detached one car garage. all original wood from the 50s when it was built. house isn't perfect but its damn nice for my small family. take a guess how much i payed for this gem? keep in mind only 1/4th acre of property.
$45,000

seems like a lot less hassle to me right? you're working from home anyways so i'd assume you just need an internet connection. look around.
>>
>>1045921
>hedge fund managers.
>highest suicide rate in finance.

They'll be jumping off the roof again when the market takes a dip, happens every time.
>>
>>1043238
Give the jews their interest and you can live a nice life in a perpetually new house with the latest ammenities. Maybe you can even invest some of that in subprime auto debt and become a proto-jew.

You could also buy a moble home if you have property you can put it on. They are fine if you dont use a trailer park and invest the savings. They lose a ton of value over tr years so you'll never have to pay high taxes on them.
>>
>tfw all these /pol/lacks

Good job lads. Keep posting them merchant memes, one day all of 4chan will be ours.

Seriously though who the fuck thinks it's a good idea to buy a house? You either build it yourself so you have heaps of equity and a small mortgage or you live in a trailer if you want to save money and live comfortably.

You don't fucking buy a house, sure, maybe 20 or 30 years ago, but not fucking anymore.
>>
>>1043238
Retarded.
>>
>>1043729
>buy a nice house in Detroit 15 years ago
>shit happens and suddenly it's worth nothing
>you've still got plenty of the mortgage left to pay

>buy a house anywhere
>pay the banker massive interest (not so massive now since interests are super low)
>live in house and see it's value go up
>forget the interest payments because it would make your profit seems smaller
>be happy because you're up even though you can't get the money out from your house
>market crashes/natural disaster/whatever happens and suddenly the house isn't worth shit
>suddenly you're in a shitty situation

House you're living in yourself isn't an investment. Houses in which you don't live yourself can be considered an investment. House is about the least liquid equity you can have, especially if something happens in the area. All it takes is for one major employer in the area to stop and the housing market will crash hard if it's not a massive city.

>>1045922
Tiny homes don't have to be shit though. Build one with proper materials and design it over your needs and it'll work just as well as a normal home.
>>
>>1044472
Nice goldfish memory you've got there.
>>
>>1044709
If you're not dumb (or poor) you know that you must have your money in several kind of assets ( real estate, ore, liquid, stocks, etc)
A good house in a well place can make some nice gain and will not be a playground for bankers
>>
>>1046353
This.

I'd spend the money on land, land is better than some shit house that'll fall apart anyway.

Then build a nice, reasonably sized home not some horrible shitty mcmansion, and actually do it properly with high quality materials.

Seriously a 1200sqft home built well, properly insulated, etc. will feel so much more luxurious than some cardboard 5000sqft monstrosity.

Shit depending on your needs you could even go smaller, 800sqft can be plenty.

At least it would be for me. Major living space would be outside/deck/garden type area, inside a simple kitchen, living room of some sort, and a bedroom or two. And a bathroom of course. Even if you have kids, have them in bunkbeds in a single room like a barracks, they don't need fucking privacy lol. All it takes is the right attitude.
>>
File: nomemory.jpg (93KB, 467x500px) Image search: [Google]
nomemory.jpg
93KB, 467x500px
>>1044472
>>1044472
>>1044472
>>1044472
>>1044472
>>1044472
>>
>>1044766

>He fell for the public transport meme

Moving by public transports prevents you from buying staple foods and other non perishable items in bulk, costing you thousands over the course of a few years.

Let's not even talk about the time and quality of life impact.
>>
>>1045923

They'll never get over their irrational fear of debt, don't bother.

Fun fact: everyone I know that didn't buy a house when they were young ended up being poor as fuck by the time they were 55.
They're the sort of people you see in the supermarket counting change and mumbling to themselves about prices. Then when you get out you see them in the parking lot, loading their groceries in a 20 years old rustbucket with a suspiciously fresh oil puddle under its hood.
Slaved away for 40 years and with nothing to show for it.

That's not really surprising, because if you're so stupid you can't realize that renting is essentially paying someone else's property upkeep, mortgage and summer vacation for no reason, you're probably working a shit tier unskilled job - which means the money loss is even worse for you in proportion.

And before any of you start going off about opportunity cost, the people who actually think about it and make an analytical decision to rent based on the probablity they will move are a super tiny minority.

A solid 80% of people never move more than 10-20km from their original place of birth, meaning if they had owned they could have easily not moved at all.
>>
>>1045927

This, >durr ship containers and especially tiny houses are retarded because they cost pretty much the same as an actual respectable house that won't make you look like an absolute retard to anyone who comes by it.

Trailers/RVs are much cheaper than a tiny house and they have resale value because actual normal people want them - unlike a tiny house.

The only reasonable thing to do is get a plot of land that you actually like and would want to keep forever, install a big fat septic tank on it, get power and water hookups and park a trailer or an RV on it.

Then you can live i the trailer for a few years, saving enough money to eventually build a proper house on the land.
If you get a decent RV you can even go on vacation with it and people'll think it's cool.
>>
>>1046271

I'm 22 and I bought a house last year.
Compared to when I was renting I'm saving money to the tune of 450 euros a year - even BEFORE you factor in the fact that I'm building around 1700€ of equity per year - not factoring house prices going up.

And not only that, but my mortgage will have fixed payments for the next 20 years, while rent increases 3-5% yearly.
In the end the bank pretty much gave me a bunch of money for less than the inflation rate.

Wake up, this is [the current year]. Central bank rates have been negative for the last 3 years. Banks are giving out money for free for fuck's sake.
>>
>>1043747
confirmed for retard

man you can cut through mild steel bar with a 2$ hacksaw. you're not refacing the crown jewels.

>>1043751
>>1043250
they exploded as a meme because they're actually great. for commercial and construction. not for actually using as your primary domicile. in remote exploration and mining sites, ranching ect. you might need a base camp for 2 months then you might want to move you whole camp 100km away instead of driving 100km on no roads each way every day. or the construction foreman might want a few offices on site for managing the construction of a highrise. each way, you're still going to be using road trains or literal trains to move your prebuilt spaces. its far cheaper because oversized loads are expensive. in australia, you need prior permits, pilot vehicles, stop and full load inspection checks every 100km. with a shipping container you literally just drop it on a trailer.
>>
File: detroit.jpg (112KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
detroit.jpg
112KB, 640x426px
>>1044479
nah, just dont buy in a shitty city like detroit where then entire city is contingent on a single industry or full of niggers already. unless youre buying in the inner city arcologies.

unless there's a plague or a war, property prices are only going to keep going up. because the worlds population is rising, governments love immigration and property development. you home can only get closer to the business district over time.
>>
>>1046475

Pretty much this.

The global trend is for cities to grow, not shrink.
>>
>>1046448
Owning a car costs you thousands over the course of single year. Besides you can easily order non perishable items delivered to your doorstep from the internet nowadays. For much cheaper than you'd be able to buy within driving distance.

>time and quality of life
>b-but muh cage
If you live in any modern city that's not in third world shithole or north America driving is slower and much more difficult than using public transportation. Applies to even some cities in third world shitholes and NA. Doesn't even have to be a big city for public transport to work as long as it's properly designed.

>>1046475
>governments love property development
They actually hate it, at least apartment buildings. And try to prevent it at any cost in most places. Property development means that there will be more supply for properties. That means that property prices stop skyrocketing. It means that the people who already own property don't like the people in power as much, and as most people own property that's a big no no for everyone relying on public to re-elect them. Building new apartment buildings is a fucking nightmare in most cities because it takes years to get all the proper permits and go through the NIMBY complaints and appeals. In some places it's practically impossible.

Just look at SF, the reason housing is so expensive is because no one is allowed to build new apartment buildings even if they're desperately needed. The whole city needs to be leveled in an earthquake before it'll be fixed. Even that might not be enough.

What cities really need is to allow people to build whatever the fuck they want as long as follows certain restrictions like maximum height.
>>
>>1046498
>What cities really need is to allow people to build whatever the fuck they want as long as follows certain restrictions like maximum height.

why do you want to limit height? are you that big of a pussy? Do you hate human achievement? Or do you think like a politician and just want to make as many rules as possible to make you self seem powerful?
>>
>>1046498
>they hate it
ok buddy. look into your politicians portfolios and tell me they dont all own construction firms or multimillion dollar property portfolios, the value of which will only go up as development around them increases.

SF is only so expensive because rich people like their mansions. if you want to live near the 7 hills then you're sol. there's fucking oakland, commuter towns like castro valley that are only 30 minutes by BART so SF is still completely livable if you're poor.

of course what we had happen was, in melbourne, occupancy rates were dropping so they just set city limits so that no residential development could happen outside the boundary. property values skyrocketed because the only way to build is up now.
>>
>>1046498
>If you live in any modern city that's not in third world shithole or north America driving is slower and much more difficult than using public transportation.

Oh, it's that meme again.

No it isn't. Not if your road network wasn't laid out by a fucking idiot, at least.
By car you can take all sorts of shorcuts that the buses can't.

Trains are way faster than a car but their range is very limited, you either live near the station (= pay enormous money for your house) or you have to catch a bus, losing time.

It takes me 20 minutes to get to work by car, and over an hour to get there by bus - despite the bus technically taking the most direct route possible.

The buses are also always overcrowded at rush hour and I have to stand for most of that hour long trip.
Been there, done that, didn't want the t-shirt because by the time I got off the bus it smelled like someone else's armpits anyway.

It's well worth the 1200€/year to own a car.
Even just counting time alone, it saves me 80 minutes x 250 workdays/year = 333 hours. Considering an hour of my time costs 10€ after taxes, I'm saving 2130€ there alone.
>>
>>1043238
Shipping containers are good for shipping goods, not for living.

Maybe there are producents of wooden houses in your location?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM8UBBlSKZk

Cost of the house like this is from 16 to 25kUSD, but they are produced in Poland, so shipping cost would be a big issue.
>>
>>1046463
>tiny houses are retarded because they cost pretty much the same as an actual respectable house
>$45,000
You are apparently confused by the market segmentation of tiny houses.

On the one hand, you have people with lots of money, who want to live somewhere like the San Francisco area where there is a housing shortage but good work/social opportunities, so they want a dressed up tiny house to sleep in and park it in a friend's driveway or back yard. They want it to look nice so people accept the arrangement, and so they can pass it off as fashionable or quirky rather than sad and desperate.

These people will pay tens of thousands of dollars to have a tiny house built for them with special tiny fittings and custom hand-crafted exterior materials.

On the other hand, you have people who just want a place to live without going into debt. They build their own tiny houses out of the normal things you build a house out of, often scrounging the leftovers of other people's construction products and reclaiming waste from demolitions and renovations. These tiny houses max out around $10,000 (mostly because of the cost of a good steel trailer, when it's desired for the tiny house to be legitimately portable), with no cost floor, and are usually parked on very cheap land or land that's free for the using.

On top of the saved monetary cost, practical tiny houses can be built in mere days with one or two truckloads of supplies. They normally lack a proper foundation and utility connections, but are far superior in comfort to a tent or trailer.

They're basically for camping, but it's a very enhanced, very competent sort of camping, which many people find they can tolerate for extended periods.
>>
>>1045013
Nice cat
>>
>>1046513
Height restrictions are necessary if you don't want claustrophobic cities that people hate. At least on walls right next to the street. Build your shit empire state building style and it can be as high as you want.
>>
>>1046690
Shhhhh, she might read this thread.
She doesn't know she's a cat.
She thinks she's a tiger or a dragon or some shit.
>>1046463
Dude you can build a nice tiny house for $15k
RV's are either expensive or clown car sized and they hold value like pesos- buy a used one and 2 years from now you'd be lucky to sell it for half of what you payed.

At least a tiny house you can turn into a guest house or man cave after you build your real house.
>>
Les stroud off the grid is a good documentary to watch fuck hiring a welling guy though
>>
>>1043238
Couldn't you just buy a portacabin?
>>
>>1046647

I've always seen people talking about 30-40K for a stationary tiny house built on some land.

My point being that if you just add another 10-15K to that you can build a decently sized one instead.

Maybe they were all hipsters.

I agree that 10K for one that is mobile is acceptable.
>>
>>1046885
Decently sized as in mcmansion or something that's just a bit larger than your usual memehouse?
>>
Google Earthships, cheap, sustainable, sturdy construction method.
>>
>>1043238
>i want to live in a metal box

read that sentence over and over until you have the answer
>>
>>1046895

800-1000 square feet is plenty for the main house.

Add another 250 square feet garage if you feel like it and a 500 square feet open covered area for firewood storage.

The whole point of living innawoods is that there's nobody around to complain about what you do on your own land, so you can always add a toolshed if you need some extra storage space.
>>
File: Earthship_Brighton_Front[1].jpg (3MB, 2804x1272px) Image search: [Google]
Earthship_Brighton_Front[1].jpg
3MB, 2804x1272px
What about an earthship?

If you're in a decent enough location, you can manage to be almost entirely off the grid, and it can be really cheap since you'll be recycling generally easy to find materials.
>>
>>1047158

>over 30 square meters of glass panes

"recycling easy to find materials"
>>
>>1047160
the money you save on tires can go into buying glass, duh
>>
>>1047162

I don't think you fully realize just how expensive glass is.

Also with all that exposed glass that house is going to cost a fortune to heat up in winter and cool down in summer.
>>
>>1047158
The problem with these homes is they are designed for a very specific climate and very specific orientations. You can't just build them anywhere. They have to face south and have a clear view of the sky. If you are in a shady valley or surrounded by trees or just don't have a southern view you have to make significant changes to the design. If you are someplace where it rains or snows a lot, changes. Someplace where is freezes regularly, more changes.

Basically, if you aren't in a temperate climate, a desert climate or somewhere in between those two you should look for another design. Also, their resale value is crap. I heard a story of a guy that built one then couldn't sell it for the value of the land. He ended up walking away from his loan and then the bank had to tear it down before they could shift it. Nothing wrong with it either. Just no one wanted to live in it so it wouldn't sell. If you are going to invest all the time, money, and effort you might as well get a nice payday if you decide to sell.
>>
>>1043238
If you don't mind moving, you might want to try to buy and renovate a house in East Germany. You can get a house there for 10.000€ and the rest is more than enough to renovate it. I know a dude who has a Villa at the beach in the north east. He only invested around 75.000€ into the house.
>>
>>1047375
>Germany.
I'd rather live in mexico.
Germany is already under sharia law, maybe it can be purged with WWIII
>>
>>1047376
East Germany, m8. No one migrates there. The only Muslims there are waiting for their ferries to Sweden.
>>
File: 00s0s_6BTbmYLJyXm_600x450.jpg (21KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
00s0s_6BTbmYLJyXm_600x450.jpg
21KB, 320x240px
I found a piece of land for sale for $16000 here in California and want to do the same thing OP wants. This one already has a trailer home in it too, what does /diy/ think?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/reo/5747840795.html
>>
>>1047430
>lot is 100' x 50'
>$16,000
I bought 15 acres for $18,000...

Get out of California if you can man.
>>
>>1047434
Just land or does it have a place to live in as well?
>>
>>1047420

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/06/11/child-bride-legally-married-sharia-law-german-judge-rules/

Bamberg Bavaria.
>>
>>1047435
Has a cabin now, was just raw land.
>>
>>1047430
>sauna
>no pictures of the sauna
>>
>>1047439
What about water, electricity, sewage and internet access?
>>
>>1046513
Look at Honolulu. They have little in the way of zoning districts. So you often see a ranch home boxed in by high rises. Sad.
>>
>>1047437
>http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/06/11/child-bride-legally-married-sharia-law-german-judge-rules/

What the actual fuck.

/pol/ memes are really starting to spill into real life.
>>
>>1043238
You just described, to a T, every single redneck in the state of Texas. That's exactly what they do. They buy those kinds of homes, buy an acre or two of land, slap em out there and hook it up to a septic tank. It's super feasible, every family member I have has done this at one point or another. And the kicker is--

They fucking love it. They love not having a mortgage and they love having all that land to do whatever they want. Most of em use it for horses, but my grandmother ended up using her land to build this cool little garden thing so she didn't have to keep making trips to the grocery store. The houses are surprisingly affordable, but maintenance is basically up to you at that point. It's great, but like all things theres pros and cons to each option you could choose. This one however, has the added benefit of being totally isolated from the world AND you can go 4-wheelin' anytime you want. Another con though is animals. Coyotes, wolves, and shit. Cats, raccoons-- small animals will climb underneath your house foundation and then have babies or die under there and the smell is just unbelievable. But you'll probably have to hook up to a well water system and that shit tastes disgusting. Like I said, pros and cons. But you'll have a blast.
>>
>>1047448
>internet access

Kiss that shit goodbye. There's no fucking way you'll get reliable signal out there. Cellular or otherwise. Theres a reason why murder movies take place in these kinds of surroundings. You're totally cut off from the world, BUT that is changing in certain areas. Times are a changin'. Just gotta do your research before settling down. Trailers are good options too. There really are some NICE ones out there if you're willing to spring a little more up front.
>>
>>1047574
oh yeah, forgot to mention that the animal aspect is why there are so many progun nuts out in the sticks. You will have to shoot them at some point, otherwise they'll just keep coming back and tearing apart your shit.
>>
>>1047577
>There's no fucking way you'll get reliable signal out there. Cellular or otherwise.
Satellite works fine. You can even get portable satellite internet service. You turn it on and the dish finds the satellite for you and aims at it.
>>
>>1047604
>BUT that is changing in certain areas
>Times are a changin'
>Just gotta do your research before settling down
>>
>>1047610
What are you trying to imply? Satellite internet has been available everywhere for years. It's not as cheap or as fast as decent wired internet, but it's internet access and it's not new.
>>
>>1047615
I'm implying that there is literally no point to this back and forth, other than satiating your own fucking ego. I admitted in the original post that you can get reliable internet access these days, and all you did was say "YEAH AND HERES HOW" in a condescending tone. What exactly was your goal here? Did you even bother to read my original post before lording some kind of factoid that EVERYONE KNOWS over my head? One that I even vaguely referenced in my original post?

>have a goal next time
>maybe you won't come off like a total dick
>>
>>1047619
>I admitted in the original post that you can get reliable internet access these days
No you didn't. You said, "There's no fucking way you'll get reliable signal out there." then you added, "BUT that is changing in certain areas".

There's no "changing" or "certain areas" about it. Satellite internet. Available everywhere. Reliable. Not new.

>there is literally no point to this back and forth, other than satiating your own fucking ego
Well, you're making it into a very good example of how not to behave on /diy/, so I guess that has some value apart from my ego.
>>
>>1047448
>>1047577
I actually have 4g LTE in my cabin.
I only had 3g on property before the cabin, I swear the metal roof is a parabolic antennae or something.
Its funny because in "town" I only get 1x or just no signal.

>>1047430
Just form the record.
An acre is about 210feet x 210feet.
So 105x105 is about a quarter acre.
That listing is less than half that, so less than 0.125 acres.
Let's call it 0.12 acres.
So my land I purchased for $18,000 is 125x the size of that plot.
The building and trailer are only worth a couple thousand. You pay a huge amount of money just to be in California.
I was born and raised in California BTW, I left San Diego decades ago.
>>
>>1047669
Oh, if I go down hill to the back side, I usually lose all signal.
I looked into satellite but my data plan has plenty and works for me.
If I was gaming all day it would be different of course, but I don't come out here to play games.
>>
>>1047448
Water was getting a well drilled.
$4,000.
You can throw a baseball and drill wherever it lands out here and hit water in 50 feet.
Good luck doing that non California, Nevada or Arizona.

Sewage is septic.
$2,500

Electricity I got lucky on. Power line is close by. I could have just as easily bought a piece of land around here and had to spend $20,000 to get wired in (first 300 feet is free, then its $4 a foot overhead, $7 a foot if you want it under ground).
>>
>>1047675
>good luck doing that in California etc
On tablet and autocorrect fights with me
>>
A house is a specific solution to a specific situation.

Don't look for places to construct a specific house, look for places you can live advantageously then look for the best solution.

Consider building codes and how you prefer to live. You must consider any building codes, climate, drainage, typical storm conditions and so forth.

Where you live matters. For example I have a contractorbro who likes his rural property. He had a slab poured and a basic pole building shop constructed for a shell. It has high ceilings so is sort of a 1.5 storey. He insulated the fuck out of it with thick slabs of styrofoam and took his time to save money since he's old and disabled. A fucking window unit keeps it cool and he heats with an old, and excellent, large pot belly wood stove in the center-ish for best dispersion. He likes to cook so he got used restaurant equipment and a fifth of the place is kitchen. He has well water from a driven well. (Water table matters, a lot!) He has an outhouse, legal there, and cunningly ran his shitpipe to the outhouse. Didn't need to dig a septic tank and you can't smell the outhouse which is about thirty feet from the home. (The outhouse is over a deep pit he dug with a backhoe.)

I don't need to build because I renovated an older house, but I made a shipping container shop with two High Cubes. I also have a small 20x20 Steelmaster steel building for welding. People live comfortably in larger Steelmasters and in modded containers, but you REALLY need to copy military and industrial container modders. Forget inventing pleb shit, just copy the pros.

If I were starting on bare land I'd drop a single-wide mobile home offset from my desired house location. Alternate option, a used office trailer which are often cheap and built for worker abuse. Place well and septic for easy access from mobile home and future home.

I'd live in a shop and many gearheads would too. Add mancave and have at it. (to be continued)
>>
>>1048011
Assuming I did it in metal I'd either build a shell using metal studs, siding and roof or more likely use a large Steelmaster. I live in farm country so no problem.

I'd drop two forty-foot High Cube containers X distance apart then use the Steelmaster/clone building kits designed to mount atop containers. I'd mount the base channels on the outer edge of the containers so the the Steelmaster also double-roofed them and I could store or otherwise use the container roof space. Containers are amply strong and insulating the whole thing is easy with a variety of industrial solutions.

Ideal for what I do but if you just want to live somewhere, I'd drop a single 40-foot High Cube as a shop near the power pole and live in the trailer while contemplating my final house build. A trailer is good for twenty years easy which is plenty of time for a house.

Trailers are fucking successful because they fucking work. So are modular homes. If you start with a cheap trailer you can drag it off when you upgrade.

Slab and block will last longer than you live. Check the thread where Anon is building a block cabin. Comfy, not wooden, durable, and bugs don't eat it. MUCH better thermal mass than a container.

Nothing replaces homework. Save even more money while you do your homework.
>>
>>1044766
>Is it really cheap when you have to own a car to go anywhere?

Cheap as fuck when you wrench all your own vehicles and enjoy it. I paid off my mortgage early and don't have shit for overhead because I've never owned a bike or truck or car I didn't do nearly all or all the work on.

Gasoline isn't shit. Plan trips wisely if that matters. I'm retired and not rich, but it's no problem having a couple of trucks and three bikes tagged and running. None are newer than 2000 (I collect motorcycles and don't need a new truck). I could have kept my 1980s trucks around longer but I like comfort.

The payback period for tools and equipment can be surprisingly quick. This is /diy/ and you can stretch any income while having control and fun. Attack DIY like a beast. Learn to do it all.

All it takes is determination. Any of you faggots can do it if you want to, and now you have the internet.
>>
>>1046353
>>buy a nice house in Detroit 15 years ago

Detroit hasn't been a good investment since the motherfucking recession in the 1950s.

If you can't into planning you'll get bit, like the fools who bought in Cleveland before the recent Recession.

Homework, what is it? Buy where an expanding area that is not locked into a single industrial monoculture (which killed Detroit) hasn't grown into yet, then sell off decades later if you feel like it.
>>
>>1047430
For that cheap I'd go for it. It's ready to occupy and beats the shit out of an apartment if you like freedom. Living there could save you huge money over time.
>>
>>1043729
Houses are really bad investments only baby boomers fell for. Job market can lead to people needing to move constantly for new jobs and most jobs are in cities which are all condos or apartments and this is only gonna get more like this in the future.
>>
>>1046471
Hush this is a burger thread

Just enjoy the salt and know that end of the day we Europeans are doing good. American stories about Trailer homes, stick frame houses, and portfolio spread talks are best enjoyed from a distance.. Don't disturb them

Funfact: bought a 320k house last year now worth 400k with about 40k profit. Own a small condo of 250k which I rent. Now looking for a small vacation house in France. Build and pump them all when I want to retire.
>>
>>1047375
Drop some links if you would be so kind
>>
File: american weather.gif (3MB, 360x203px) Image search: [Google]
american weather.gif
3MB, 360x203px
>>1048304
Welcome to burgerland!!
>>
>>1043751

One thing I find attractive about shipping containers relative to traditional wood frame is that you don't have to worry so much about foundations.

Put it on concrete piers, if they subside it's not going to damage anything and you can jack it back up without worrying. Wood starts screaming.
>>
>>1046471

Ask the Greeks how they like housing debt.

>>1046494

Europe is already plagued and war is coming. The US will keep having the cleanest dirty shirt for the foreseeable future as a result.
>>
>>1048336
If that's the only argument, build a wood frame.
If your foundation blocks settle that much, you're going to die in a mudslide or sinkhole anyways.
>>
>>1048336
>Put it on concrete piers, if they subside it's not going to damage anything and you can jack it back up without worrying. Wood starts screaming.

Railroad tie under each end works nicely. We did my bros High Cube workshop that way. My double-container shop sits atop a couple of large I-beams. Nothing special, just looks like two ISO containers next to each other. Stick welded to beam, roof joint FCAW with a suitcase feeder all the way out, no sealant on roof joint. Bridged gap with 1/8" x 2" steel strip sheared from a 4x8 sheet. I have no subsidence issues but tweaked the level with bottle jacks under the beams. Scored a Simplex forged steel jack at auction for 80 bux (over a grand new) which would work more easily. Also have a forklift jack (flea market, 25 dollars!) and recommend those for all kinds of work. Most people don't know what those jacks are so if you do, you can snag them.

>Ask the Greeks how they like housing debt.

Greece is a tiny joke country smaller in population than many US States. It should not be compared to anything but other abject socialist failures. Greece needs an Erdogan to fix it, and would benefit by surrendering to Turkey since Greece has proven itself utterly inferior to its rival.

>Europe is already plagued and war is coming.

Which war, with who and for what?

Fearfags are adorable.

Adult container ideas live here, and most aren't complex:

http://seabox.com/products/category/containerized-shelters

You can do pretty much everything you need to a container with basic tools and welding equipment. If you fab and weld you will fucking love them. Ground to the shell and run your stinger anywhere. Holesaw and spraylube to cool teeth handle round holes when installing a subpanel.
>>
>>1043729
because no one understands amortization. how you borrow 150k with 3.5% interest and end up paying 300k at the end of 30 years.

how does that shit add up? i dont fucking get it.

3.5% interest somehow turns into 100% interest.
>>
>>1043729
>>1048884
>buy a house with 150k 3.5% 30 year mortgage
>pay $674 every month for 30 years for your house
>you're lucky and your house almost doubles in value now being worth 300k
>wow 100% return on my mortgage, what a great investment
>in reality pay almost 100k in interest and 242k in total for that house
>add in a few renovations, let's say worth 30k in total, because a house that has nothing done to it in 30 years won't be worth shit
>end up paying 270k for a 300k house

>build a tiny house with the amount of your down payment to a bigger house
>put the $674 monthly into S&P500 index
>reinvest all dividends
>end up with $792k after 30 years*

This doesn't even take into account the much higher running costs of that bigger house. It costs more in taxes, heating, cooling, renovations, and any other upkeep. So be a good goy and take as big of a mortgage as you can possibly afford because a house is the best investment one can make. The value of your house can only go up!

*calculated with 7% annual return which is the average yearly return of S&P500.

Compound interest is a hell of a drug.
>>
>>1043238
Shipping containers are for Africans or braindead hipster fucks virtue-signaling about how they spent $150,000 buying a 200stft "micro home."

You can buy a prefab home that is ten times better than some metal hitshack carved out of a rusting metal box, and do so for less money. All you need is the land.

Land is the problem. You will always be slave to the Government for taxes, at least in the US.

Land in the middle of nowhere also has the problem with basic utilities. Are you also going to drill a well, install septic, and run your own generators? Rely entirely on solar? (Which is obscenely expensive to set up.) Or just live in the dark?
>>
>>1049082
>well- $4,500
>septic- $2,500
>solar setup- $5,000
>land taxes in my county- about $10 an acre.
>land itself- around $1,200 an acre (+/- depending on trees/elevation/river access)
>>
>>1048605

>Which war, with who and for what?

Civil war/domestic terrorism, Islam versus everyone else and occasionally itself. Forces are trying to replace whites fast enough so no nucleus of resistance for white survival can form. At least until Western Europe is beyond the point of no return.

If Wilders get elected that goes out of the window, suddenly there will be a nation fighting the supposedly inevitable. That's when things will get bloody as other people who don't want to live on the right side of history (ie. non white) are shown an alternative.

Then again, Wilders might not get elected and Western Europe might go quietly into the night. Except of course whites keep the economy running and after white flight of the best minds in Europe sets in there will be economic collapse and things will get bloody too.
>>
>>1048896
>put the $674 monthly into S&P500 index
and live 30 years as a homeless person? fuck you
>>
>>1049200
>build a tiny house with the amount of your down payment to a bigger house
On the previous fucking line to the one you quoted. 10 - 15k gets you a nice tiny home on a trailer if you build it mostly yourself. It's just simple amortization and compound interest example that shows getting a massive mortgage isn't that good of an investment always. And that's with the extremely low interest rates that we currently have. Increase the interest rates and tiny homes, and other cheap living arrangements, become even more attractive to anyone who can do basic math, think ahead, and doesn't absolutely need a McMansion.

Enjoy being wageslave into your 60s or even 70s when I've got my shit sorted out so that I can retire before 50. Obviously it's possible to have your finances sorted out and retire early even if you buy a house and have a mortgage. It just can't take a huge portion of your monthly budget. But it's hard to find affordable housing in and close to cities that have plenty of work and aren't just massive ghettos. Also having a tiny trailer home makes changing cities for jobs much easier as you can just rent a truck and take your home with you.

>>1049197
There are still countries in Europe that got no or hardly any refugees. They're mostly the Eastern European former Soviet countries because the refugees refused to stay there and wanted to the wealthier western Europe. And once they see how well the refugees integrate to western society they won't let anyone in even if they wanted. They're already rapidly growing and will continue to do so. If they play their cards right they can attract a lot of the eventual white flight from western Europe. There are a lot of nice old cities with history that are still really cheap on western standards in the old Soviet countries.
>>
>>1049200
>homeless
Hes saying, you can build [Pic Related] with your deposit, and live in that for 30 years. That, invest your theoretical rest $647, take it easy on the food and stuff, and join a cheap 24/7 gym? Be rich in no time. Well, in about 30 years time, but, w/e.
>>
>>1049241
If that is what you can achieve with 15k then tiny homes aren't for you m8.
>>
File: profit.jpg (240KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
profit.jpg
240KB, 1600x900px
>>1043729
>>
>>1048324
Just because the landscape temporarily turns into a picture of hell, complete with pillars of fire, doesn't mean that there isn't a worse place.

Hell, I would take pillars of fire any day over living next to nests of "common" death adders.
>>
>>1043238
Very possible anon. I am myself in a similar situation where I just paid 40K for a foreclosure in KY. I am terribly frightened by debt and don't want to get caught in that slave inducing cycle.
>>
>>1043238

Everyone who wants to bury a container should do so! Follow your dreams and ignore the haters. Your initiative will be rewarded with success!

Numerous containers survived direct hits from 30mm A-10 "Warthog" cannon during the Iraq war. The springy corrugations dissipate energy and the projos bounce off. The immortal Corten steel shells last centuries even without paint, which is only decorative. The US Navy has a fleet of containers at the bottom of the Marianas trench where they dock submarines made from containers for underwater replenishment. Hawaii successfully used lava flow to encase containers to make attractive tourist lodges. Transatmospheric scramjet powered containers have been developed into launch platforms for smaller containers to be used in the post-Brexit EU space containerstation. North Korea replaced their old dug shelters under mountains with containers painted like mountains. (The insides are painted with cute anime characters to boost morale.) Elon Musk prototyped an electric container to replace the Tesla since the container is more aesthetically appealing than the car and has a lot more battery room. The mayor of Detroit has decided to replace his decaying city with containers. The old buildings will be demolished and the rubble hauled off in other containers, loaded onto rafts made of containers, and shipped to China via the St. Laurence seaway where it will be ground up and the metal residue used to make more containers. US Navy SEALS stealthily infiltrate enemy ports using containers cunningly disguised as containers. Israel is solving the Palestinian problem by storing them in containers. (Germany tried to solve the Jewish problem using wooden freight cars, but the container hadn't been invented yet.) Donald Trumps border wall will be easily affordable if built from containers. Any Beaners who slip in by other routes can be detained in containers then trucked to Beanland where containers will be donated as housing.
>>
>>1046459
Having a mortgage will make you rich , ok faggot.
>>
>>1047169
The entire purpose of that much glass in any non-conventional house is to attempt to generate winter heat. There is likely something thermally massive that the sun heats, and depending on shgc and u-factor they can let in more heat than they lose at night. In summer they are angled in a way to reflect sunlight
>>
File: image.jpg (94KB, 1024x772px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94KB, 1024x772px
Really makes you think
>>
>>1049778
>correlation is not causation.

Wow, look at that. Rich people can buy houses and poor people have to rent, I never would have realized that.
>>
OP, have you considered a manufactured home?
You can probably find one for that amount or cheaper.
>>
>>1043656
>Where can I find one that cheap?

Since you don't post your fucking LOCATION, nowhere. Go die. How could location matter when the entire world is the same?

You are to stupid to deserve shelter.
>>
>>1043747
>A typical person still isn't cutting those holes, however.

A typical person doesn't know how to do shit. Nothing. At all. They just lie there twitching in a pool of their own urine they are too dumb to roll out of while making incoherent squalls and grunts of helplessness.

DIY isn't typical.

Use a straightedge as a guide for long cuts since Sawzalls wander. They have their uses but a 6" Metabo or Makita grinder with a box of cutting discs (Pferd, Radnor etc work well for me) kicks ass.

You can put the same discs in circular saws by adapting them with flat washers.

The more of your tools which run cutting discs the happier your metalworking adventures will be.

Hole saws and spray lube take care of round holes.

If you have a plasma cutter, they are the industrial way to go but you already know that if you own one.

Use 3M 5200, not caulk or silicone. . Buy a tube and play with it. It's the spooge of the gods. Most hardware and marine stores stock it, or buy online.

Did I mention 3M 5200?

If you don't actually have HANDS ON experience with ISO containers don't post unless it's a question AND you did your homework first. No speculation. You know, or you don't.
>>
>>1045006
>nobody makes money off the housing market, houses are a shit investment, the market is oversaturated,

What is location?
>>
>>1049856
Theres 2 free mobile homes on my local Craigslist right now, just have to move them.
>>
>>1049872
There are often free houses for the moving too, which is one reason building movers are a thing.
>>
>>1043238
for god's sake, don't do it.

look into log cabin kits instead.
>>
>>1046137
Sub prime means you have shit credit and usually deserve to be taken advantage of
>>
I dont mean to hijack the thread, but are storage containers a good investment for actual storage on land you own? Talking about storing normal household things like books, clothes, furnature etc.
>>
>>1050219
not really, they're surprisingly expensive

there's a reason you don't see them everywhere.
>>
>>1050219
They are big steel boxes, so they get as hot as hellfire in the sun.
They are usually a bit battered, what with one thing and another, and leaking roofs is common. Damaged flooring admitting vermin can also be a problem.
The seals and vents are imperfect, unless you specifically maintain or upgrade them, so humidity inside can be a problem.
They require special equipment, usually of a rather large scale, to place or remove.
They are not incredibly cheap.

Analyze your needs carefully. You might be better off building a storage shed from plans or buying one fully or partially assembled. ANd personally, I am of the opinion that books should not be stored in buildings like that. Extreme temp swings and humidity changes will accelerate and worsen decay of print goods.
>>
>>1050219
Biggest downside is they don't come flat pack and if you don't have the equipment to move one yourself you'll have to pay someone to do so.
>>
>>1050219
Good investment wouldn't be the term I would use. They are easy and quick to place somewhere, they are relatively water tight in regards to storms. Your things will be safe inside of one.

The only benefit is that you can quickly get rid of it if you wanted to. A steel recycling company will come pick it up for $400 (for a 40 ft) or you can sell it cheap to someone else for $1000 who will pay someone else to come pick it up.
>>
>>1044005

fucking this. go buy a nice plot of land somewhere that's close enough to hook up utilities and build it yourself.
>>
I would never spend a cent on a shipping container house, and the only way I'd spend any money on a tiny house is if I was well enough off that a "weekend cabin" at the lake was reasonable.
>>
>>1051248
Tiny house that can be later used as a weekend cabin is a good start though.

I lived in a shithole apartment in las vegas- rent was $745 a month.

My 15 acres is $200 a month, my cabin/tiny house/whatever you want to call it is $250 a month.
So not only is it cheaper, but in time I'll own it- I'm not just paying for some landlords beach house.

That $300 a month can be the difference between someone living in debt or having savings. Plus that's (100) 2X4's- a 30 foot long wall will take +/- 30 2x4's.

So for the same income:
>option 1) live in apartment
>option 2) own land, cabin, build a house
>>
>>1043238
Build a small house. Cities pay for you to build. Between 30k and 70k depending on where and how large
>>
File: Shanty-House.jpg (40KB, 507x338px) Image search: [Google]
Shanty-House.jpg
40KB, 507x338px
>>1048896

>Dont worry baby I have Index funds, in 30 years im gonna be rich one day I'll have a huge portfolio. Come look at my Vanguard seeee. Only 30 more years.....
>>
>>1048304

I just find it absurd that people think that paying someone else's mortgage + a profit for them can be cheaper than paying your own mortgage.

If you rent, at the end of the day you have nothing.
The only argument towards renting is if you plan to move around a lot - and most people don't, so it doesn't apply

Of course if I went full retard and spent 10x my annual income on the house I'd be drowning in debt for the next 30 years, but there's no reason to do that.

There's plenty of houses at low prices.
>>
>>1048338
>Europe is already plagued and war is coming.

You fell for the dank memes, mate.

At worst, people will start demanding stricter border control and the deportation of immigrants already here.

There's not gonna be any race war.
>>
>>1049639

No, it's not the mortgage that makes you rich, it's the mentality.

If you have an irrational fear of taking any sort of risk (like a mortgage) even when data shows it's clearly the right thing to do, you will never go very far.
>>
>>1050219
I use one for storage besides the two I joined as shop space,but I made sure it was in "cargo worthy" condition. Learn container grading systems and how to look them over, inspect door gaskets etc.

Not all containers are created equal. If you are storing books they should be sealed no matter where you put them. Plastic tubs work well, but saving books is a waste of space unless they are valuable. Most people store a lot of shit they'd be better off throwing away.

Leaking roofs and floor damage are only "common" if you bought garbage. Don't do that. Like anything else you must do your homework.

They aren't hard to move about your lot if you are handy. Delivery is typically (in the US) by Landoll trailer or a heavy duty rollback. If your ground is solid a railroad tie under each end is enough support.

I've had mine since 2003 and will buy at least two more for a motorcycle garage. I find them easy to work with.
>>
>>1051411

People will demand a lot of shit, but the EU human rights court makes most of those demands moot inside the EU.

Once these people have citizenship it's impossible to kick them out and due to family reunification (mandated by EU human rights court) will have their initial numbers amplified by 5-8 times. There are a couple of countries in Africa about to explode too, so the refugee streams are never going to end.

On top of that kicking out undocumented migrants is also pretty much impossible (did I mentioned the EU human rights court yet?).

If we don't get TPTB to stop handing out citizenship like candy to all comers very quickly we'll be fucked. It's pretty much impossible within the EU.

There's not going to be a race war, but there is going to be an end to western civilization or closed borders to refugees.
>>
>>1051419
Thanks anon. I agree about the books. It's just my mom's a mentally ill hoarder so I know she'll find some peace if I just store them for her until she passes away... And get a little storage space as well.

I was just watching a video about the grading system funny enough. Apparently you want to go for B Grade if you can.

How much about do they cost to transport? The prices are around $1,300 is what I gather but the transport cost could be anything as far as I know.
>>
>>1049382

This post is SO underrated.

Had hearty keks all the way through it.
>>
>>1043238
Buy a foreclosed home in the ghetto and gentrify/fortify it aginst the niggers. I clean out foreclosed homes for a living and I saw a 5br 2.5bath for 14k in the nigger infested part of town.
>>
>>1052758

I actually thought about this.
There are houses auctioning for 5k.

I decided I'd rather buy one in bumfuck nowhere then in the getto, though.
>>
>>1051412
The mentality of willingly paying hundreds of thousands of dollars extra when you could have just saved up and downsized?

Fun fact: All those "successful people" with the nice houses and brand new cars in their 50s - *most* are still paying off those items, buying their food with slick plastic racking up more debt. You're an idiot. Do you really think having a 200k house for 400k more will make him any more successful than a 60k house that he could easily buy with 60k?

Embrace the philosophy of debt and ignore all math involved so you can live that lavish lifestyle you'll realize too late you can't afford. The creditors make it so easy! They do the math right for you!
>>
File: ch2.jpg (295KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
ch2.jpg
295KB, 1200x1600px
I built my own container home, its supper easy.
>>
>>1049778
People who own homes have greater net worth than those who don't, because net worth includes the value of all property, including the purchased home.
>>
>>1051410
Nobody is arguing for renting, they are arguing against mortgages.
>>
>>1052774
come on, spend another $50 on nice paint and put some light roof, just for extra insulation and rainproof, as well as aesthetics
>>
>>1052774
>>1052787
Also, if you put that chimney inside, you can increase the heat output by great value, here in the north we swing it around the room one time, if possible in the middle of the height so it radiates more heat that stays longer. It can save you money in heating.
>>
Aren't you better off renting if you will be low income all your life? You probably won't earn enough to pay off a mortgage anyway. And don't forget about all the upkeep, appliances, repairs, and upgrades to increase the value.

I'm just asking because due to my mental issues I will never rise beyond low wage work. I'm trying to figure out my options once I can't live with my parents anymore.
>>
>>1049087
Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. What county / state?
>>
>>1043239
I agree with your line of throught, my father once said, if you've got the money but you can afford to pay a loan, take the loan,

It's simple, if you spend all your money you will end up broke if something goes wrong like losing the job and without the moneys and lose everything in the process, if you take the loan, and something goes wrong, you're broke.
>>
>>1052711
Just tell mom you are storing the books somewhere, then get rid of them.
>>
>>1049367
I fear that you country is a common death adder.

Don't be sad.
>>
>>1052794
It's never a bad idea for anyone to keep their cost of living low. We all have to have a place to live and food. Buy a small plot of land, build a small house, and keep chickens and a garden. You are saving a lot of money and living well within your means, then you don't need to spend so much of your time wage slaving. After a while, you wouldn't need to work much at all. Just enough to pay your property taxes.
>>
I think a lot of people don't factor in commuting costs. An affordable house is usually pretty far out from where the jobs are. That 1:30 to 2 hour commute is time and money lost.
>>
>>1052822
I have ~15% up to 22% passive income and the rest I do from home, I commute to the center of the city 2-3 times a month to see some clients and thats it. So this is not a problem, not to mention I own a tesla.
>>
File: ch3.jpg (232KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
ch3.jpg
232KB, 1600x1600px
>>1052774
The inside.
>>
File: ch4.jpg (272KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
ch4.jpg
272KB, 1600x1600px
>>1053128
>>
File: ch5.jpg (224KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
ch5.jpg
224KB, 1600x1600px
>>1053129
>>
File: ch6.jpg (256KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
ch6.jpg
256KB, 1600x1600px
>>1053130
>>
>>1052758
>>1052766
Your wife/daughter will still have to buy gas for her carin the hood.
Your child will go to a nigger infested school.

It always seems like a good investment, until you get hip deep into it.
>>
>>1049087
>Solar setup - $5000

For PV? Bullshit. I've been working in Solar for 10 years, and either you've got a ~2kw array that's grid-tied or you're lying since fucking no one can afford battery backup.
>>
File: PANO_20160811_200145.jpg (550KB, 2136x464px) Image search: [Google]
PANO_20160811_200145.jpg
550KB, 2136x464px
>>1052798
Central Georgia, biggest/easiest city to find on a map is Macon.
I'm not on solar, I was close to a power line luckily, cost about $900 to have everything installed- first 300 feet was free from the power one, after that its $4 a foot above ground, $7 a foot underground.
Some power companys provide more than mine for free (I had to install my 16' service pole)
>>
>>1053141
Its the basic setup- I don't have it my neighbor does (one of those mental "prepper" types).
It specifically says
> "can power a whole house!!!"
>"*except for a/c systems"

Good for a shtf scenario but not realistic to live a comfortable life IMO, especially when you factor in battery replacement and blown inverter costs.
>>
>>1045356
I pay 350 a month to own a 3 acre sand lot in Cali you nig
>>
File: wagecucked.png (35KB, 1008x606px) Image search: [Google]
wagecucked.png
35KB, 1008x606px
>>1051326
In the advanced state of my wagecuckery. I have a 401k that I put 20 bux in a month. I will be rich in 300 year.
>>
>>1044493
>My friend is buying a 166k house. He has a 30 year mortgage. He will, in total, pay over 400k on this mortgage.

I got a 30 year mortgage for 180k in February.
I maxed out the payments after the initial interest payment and synced the payment date with my bi-weekly paycheque. Already used my first year's 10% payment and have next year's set aside already.

I work in a kitchen and should have my house paid off in under eight years, so your friend could try making more than the minimum payment.
>>
>>1043238
Debt is really judgement proofing. If you have a mortgage, no one is going to try to take that, like my ex took my house that was free and clear, 17 years after our divorce.

Also dgaf about resale value. Live as you wish. Without a mortgage you will accrue savings faster than a conventional will appreciate after you deduct the interest that is 90% of mortgage payments.

Quality of life vastly outweighs quantity of money.
>>
>>1043271
Wtf is with the sashimi bro?
>>
>>1043325
Rigid foam insulation exterior - lose no interior space. A cutting torch is ~$200 and easy to learn. It's not a meme, it's highly cost effective, robust, earthquake, tornado, fireproof shelter for the handy.

Dgaf about resale value, because the next bubble is gonna take the piss outta home values anyway - again.

You do you bro, and put savings into the market, which apreciates at ~11% averaged over 30 years by buying stock from sound companies like GE and Coke, that sell directly to you, no brokerage fees.
>>
>>1043453
lol. Your dream retirement?
>>1043656 look at repos, and be prepared for fixers
>>1043729you bought at the nadir of the bubble. Talk to the thousands that lost everything when thay went upside down
>>
>>1043753
They're poorly constructed, and after a few years, have no resale value. You still pay 20 times the sales price in interest though.
>>
>>1044542
I bought a 4 bed house on 10 acres 15% interest only and paid it off in3 years. Lost everythng when the ex stole by perjury and fraud 17 years after divorce.

There are plenty more ways to get fucked
>>
>>1044565
Adjust for inflation in the wake of 'helicopter Ben Bernanke,TARP, and Obama, and it could triple in price and still be a loser
>>
>>1046471
There's reasons to expect the hammer to fall on you in the next few years: rapefugees, economic downturn, war.

Look at no less than 30 years average returns before you get all smug.
>>
>>1046475
What happened in 2008 was neither a plague nor a war.
>>
Just buy a trailer on private land and stop being so autistic with all of these diy home threads. My first home was a singlewide in a nice trailer park that only allowed trailers 20 years or newer. Mine was brand new and just came to the park. Paid $36K cash which included a deck and all. I'm a truck driver and was only there on weekends. I ended up selling it to a relative because utilities were so damn expensive. The utilities were split between all the other trailers in the park, and I was tired of paying high prices because Tammy next door needs to run her AC on 65 24/7 instead of buying some insulation for her trailer..
>>
File: texan 205229.jpg (82KB, 634x562px) Image search: [Google]
texan 205229.jpg
82KB, 634x562px
>>1053952
>Tammy next door
That heifer sure do needs to keep her fat folds cool to the touch
>>
>>1053982
You just know he fucks her belly button and fat folds.
>>
>>1053982
Why am I not surprised by his deviant goatee.

Have you seen her DIY feeding tube? Turns out swallowing is too much hard work these days.
>>
>>1052769
Well, it's difficult to save up when you're already paying rent. If it helps, think of the interest on the mortgage as the rent you pay to live there while the principal is an investment in not needing to pay for housing anymore after [15-30] years.
>>
>>1043238
Do Not Move into a mobile home bro they are fucking nasty
>METER READER REPORTING IN!
i see over 6k mobiles a month and none of them have an upside, they are all equally nasty. just remember if you can take a shit and then run outside to hear it go down a pipe you live in a fucked up situation i could understand a small (permanent) Home but avoid the former also 60k could buy you a nice condo or apartment.
>>
>>1043238
If you want to live out in the sticks somewhere, it's feasible if you can DIY a lot, to build yourself something (shipping container or not) that will last you.

And depending on the area, you should be able to get property with plenty to spare for about ~$30k, within range of cellphone / internet service. (I assume that's important because well, working from home.)

I would say to take a loan out if you have a good credit rating though, for the property. The reason being is that this way, you don't end up with no savings buffer if something goes wrong, and you'll be paying not that much in interest.

You can always pay off the loan early, in most cases.
>>
I'd really recommend just getting a premade structure (shed or something) put on the property, and you can get someone to plumb it if that sort of thing bothers you for a DIY thing.
Hell, some shed / garage buildings come with plumbing already.

$60k is plenty to set yourself up somewhere in the rural USA.

>>1053952
Fuck that shit... split utilities that aren't metered individually? Wtf? That seems... illegal.
>>
>>1043729
Finance PA here.
Here is ausfagland (sydney) 60k wont even be enough for a deposit most cases.
But i know one couple which pwn about 6 properties all on debt, and pay fck all on the mortgages due to rent dollaridoos.
Borrow all you can and invest anon.
Well borrow smart and invest smart as much as you can.
Use your debt to pay your debt and watch your equity appear as if by magic!
>>
>>1048031
Not him, but thanks. That speech pumped me up.
>>
>>1052774
>>1053128
>>1053129
>>1053130
>>1053131
I like it.

Where do you go to the bathroom and shower?

I always thought about living in a similar manner and just renting a gym membership to shower and going to stores and buying 1 item and using their bathrooms.
>>
>>1056000
>ca
Down payment is 440k
Somehow the family can pull it together despite being third generation blue collar.

It's like being in a different country with a completely different dollar.
>>
>>1055750
>Fuck that shit... split utilities that aren't metered individually? Wtf? That seems... illegal.

It's legal but I wouldn't go for it.
Thread posts: 226
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.